RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

Backup camera option

I have a 2018 passport 2920bh, it comes set up ready for thw furrion backup/observation system. That system system is very expensive. I I have found cheaper systems on amazon (ex:camecho system and others). Has anyone ever added one of these cheaper systems to the housing and/or wire that came pre installed on the camper. If so how did you do it, how did it work? If you just went with the furrion system how does it work?

Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
meaz93*

Since your trailer already is prewired for a Furrion Camera system....I would definitely go with the Observation camera.
In fact I did with my 38' 2018 Keystone Outback, since it was prepped from the factory. What a cool way to (view traffic behind the trailer) roll down the highway!
It is worth every dollar spent-IMOClick image for larger version

Name:	20150710_123828.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	20986

meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Larrystegall

Unlikely a different brand camera will fit in the housing. A camera kit will come with a housing and you can just replace the one there. I too like the observation feature for traffic and parking. The wire is hooked into the lighting system so the TV lights will have to be on (some model TVs may work with the DRL). It took 4 minutes to install the camera, near an hour to wire in the monitor around the widshield in the truck. I mount it by the rear view as that where I would look when not towing. Caution, Furrion has two models, and the “backup” camera will not refresh fast enough for traffic monitor.
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #4
xrated

There is a company called Tadibrothers.com that sells a lot of different styles of backup and observation cameras for RV, trucks, farm equipment, etc. and they also have adaptors that will allow you to mount some of their cameras to the Furrion mount that comes on a lot of the pre-wired trailers. You might want to check them out. Disclaimer....I have not yet purchased any type of observation camera for the new trailer, but I will eventually.....after I get caught up with the other stuff I'm doing.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:21 AM   #5
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

My camper came pre wired for Furrion. That sounds like something, but it's not. That just means there is 12 vdc ready to be used at top center back of trailer. On my rig the power is tied into the marker lights. Marker lights on = camera on.

The Furrion observation system is an older model, the Furrion Vision S is the current model. I installed this system with 2 side cameras. The camera came with it's own mount so the "blank" on the TT was thrown away.

The Vision S system has three different monitor sizes and 1 to 4 cameras as options. It can be tricky when price shopping, watch out for the older observation system mixed into your search results.

There is nothing premium about furrion products, except the price.

I'm going out on a limb here, any backup camera can be mounted there. Just be prepared to fill a couple screw holes with RTV due to mounting pattern mismatch.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote