Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Topomon

Floor flex

While setting up in our recently purchased 2016 Cougar 33mls I noticed quite a bit of flex in the flooring underneath the dinet set on the drivers side slideout. Is this normal?
Topomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you describing flex when the slide is pulled in (travel position) or when the slide is extended (camping position) ???

If you're describing the slide in the travel position, then there is a caution in the owner's manual to NOT step on the floor, use the sofa/chairs or put any heavy weight on the slide floor while in the travel position... Doing so can damage the slide floor. If you're describing the floor when the slide is extended, there should be minimal (very little) movement of the slide floor and it should feel relatively sturdy. Of course, jumping or "falling into a chair" will cause some movement and should be avoided if possible.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
Topomon

Floor flex

The slide is "out". I just noticed it as I was preparing to sit in the dinet chair closest to the recliners. It's more noticable on that side of the dinet set.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:43 AM   #4
Topomon

I did find this posting from a 2012 thread about the same issue.

"Knitpick to your heart's content. Make sure you go over everything and that it's fixed before you're satisfied, but keep in mind that a certain amount of flex is necessary or the thing will rip apart at the seams. Check out a flatbed semi trailer. When empty, there's almost a foot of "arch" built into the bed frame. When loaded, it flexes to "flat or even more". The same holds true with airplane wings. To a certain extent, flexing is the "shock absorber" of a flat surface.*

On the pedastle attachments in your table, if it were completely rigid, every time you bump against the table, you'd stress the attaching screws, eventually, they would either tear out of the OSB floor or come loose/shear from their mount. Would another type of mounting system be more rigid? Yup, but again, the cost is much greater and the compromise between profit and reliability has to be "juggled" or Keystone wouldn't be in business.*

Without the ability to flex some, the movement during travel and use would all be absorbed by the corners/angles and that would lead to failure much faster than if it flexes to absorb the impact. How much is too much flex? who knows, but it is annoying to have a table wobble at dinner...... There's somewhat of a compromise between engineering, weight reduction and livability."

New Reply
Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Seems to me the flex may be a function of the weight of the person perceiving it and would likely feel flex in the center of the slide out rather than the wall edges. How sensitive a person is to flex is also to be taken into account. My trailer wobbles a bit when someone walks through the cabin after being set up. My wife and I are used to it and don't notice; it isn't much. My buddy walked through and noticed and found the wobble disturbing. The wobble is normal (hope wobble doesn't sound like it is rocking; only moving a tad). Go to an RV dealer and check out some of their units with a slide and dinette and see if you can feel flex to get an idea if your flex is normal.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
Topomon

Floor flex

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's designed to do this. I'm a svelte 280 so it probably is just reacting a little more to my weight. Thanks again.

Tags
floor