RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
waltheraustin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Clyde
Posts: 145
Tire upgrade

So I had another blowout today. This is the 2nd in 3 trips. Thinking about swapping all of the tires for a better load rating tire but I hear that the wheel may not be up for more psi. Where do I find out wheel info? There are small generic steel tires without any info listed.

What are your recommendations for better tires?

Changing tires next to a busy highway isn't a good time. Damn thing gets pushed when something goes by at 80! Little nerve wracking!
__________________

waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Tbos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Solomons
Posts: 3,874
Blowouts are no fun. Been there done that. When I upgraded the tires on my previous TT I went with Carlisle Radial Trail HD and increased the load rating but stayed with the same size. If you do that make sure your rims can handle the extra load and air pressure too.
__________________

__________________
Tom
2019 Alpine 3651RL
2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
MarkEHansen
Senior Member
 
MarkEHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 772
As mentioned in a previous thread, the load rating of the wheel should be stamped on the back-side of the wheel. What size wheels are they" 14", 15", 16"?
__________________
2019 Cougar Half Ton 26RBSWE - "Bertha"
2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali HD 6.6L Duramax TD, CC, 4WD, DRW - "Mr. Beefy"
MarkEHansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
waltheraustin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Clyde
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
As mentioned in a previous thread, the load rating of the wheel should be stamped on the back-side of the wheel. What size wheels are they" 14", 15", 16"?
I'll look again but I don't recall seeing any wording. I think they are 14s
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 19,621
Most aluminum wheels are have markings cast on the back of the spokes. On steel wheels, it's not quite that easy to find. Sometimes there's markings on the edge of the rim, often near the valve stem. Unfortunately, on many steel wheels, all the information is INSIDE, on the wheel rim, and the tire must be removed to view it. Why? you ask??? Seems it's to make it harder for the owner, but that's not the reason. It has more to do with rust/corrosion on steel wheels making the ID markings hard to see, or even rusting away, and the inside of the wheel is the "safest place" to preserve markings.... Hard to find, but last a long time.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steel wheel marking.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	20371   Click image for larger version

Name:	steel wheel marking2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	20372  
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
waltheraustin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Clyde
Posts: 145
Perfect, with my blown out tire I should be able to find it. Thanks! Hopefully the rim is good. I believe the last one had me riding on it for a bit and it was fine. Those things are tough!

Thanks again!
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
The John
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Blowouts are no fun. Been there done that. When I upgraded the tires on my previous TT I went with Carlisle Radial Trail HD and increased the load rating but stayed with the same size. If you do that make sure your rims can handle the extra load and air pressure too.
I have these tires on my outback and have liked them so far (2 years).
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
ken56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dandridge TN
Posts: 258
My Laredo came with Trailer Kings. I put about 3k miles on them before I noticed the sidewall bulges. Went as soon as I could to Discount Tire and had Goodyear endurance put on. Upped the load rating but stayed with the same size seeing it was available. I noticed the Endurance were more stable when towing very quickly, less sidewall flex.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
waltheraustin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Clyde
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
My Laredo came with Trailer Kings. I put about 3k miles on them before I noticed the sidewall bulges. Went as soon as I could to Discount Tire and had Goodyear endurance put on. Upped the load rating but stayed with the same size seeing it was available. I noticed the Endurance were more stable when towing very quickly, less sidewall flex.
The sidewalls look kinda bad so a new set it is!
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
Northofu1
Senior Member
 
Northofu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 1,456
I'm not sure how many miles my trailer had seen before my purchase, I put 8k km's on the Trailer King C rated in a single trip and they lost no air. They still look perfect, but, this is the 5 yr mark and I am replacing them with the Carlisle Radial Trail HD D's.
Spring is around the corner
__________________
Dan & Serena

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
waltheraustin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Clyde
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I'm not sure how many miles my trailer had seen before my purchase, I put 8k km's on the Trailer King C rated in a single trip and they lost no air. They still look perfect, but, this is the 5 yr mark and I am replacing them with the Carlisle Radial Trail HD D's.
Spring is around the corner
That would be great to not lose any air. I'm constantly topping them off before going or coming.
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Northofu1
Senior Member
 
Northofu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 1,456
I used the trailer a fair bit, I did not have to add air all summer / early fall. Guess I was lucky?
__________________
Dan & Serena

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
acooper1983
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Roscoe
Posts: 6
Hi guys, this is my first post here. i made an account to post in this thread. A good friend of mine owns a very large tire shop, i was talking to him about trailer tires for my large TT. He recommended Gladiator Qr25-ts He's got hotshot guys that have 100,000mi on a set of them. They're also N speed rated, so (87mph) The best part is, for my size (225/75/15) theyre VERY inexpensive, less than 90$ a tire. I asked him how they fair vs something like the goodyear endurance, His comment was, that he would take the gladiator every day and twice on sunday, They are an offshore tire, but their quality is phenomenal apparently. Just thought that i would let you know about a good quality tire for a honest price.
acooper1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #14
CWtheMan
Senior Member
 
CWtheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by acooper1983 View Post
Hi guys, this is my first post here. i made an account to post in this thread. A good friend of mine owns a very large tire shop, i was talking to him about trailer tires for my large TT. He recommended Gladiator Qr25-ts He's got hotshot guys that have 100,000mi on a set of them. They're also N speed rated, so (87mph) The best part is, for my size (225/75/15) theyre VERY inexpensive, less than 90$ a tire. I asked him how they fair vs something like the goodyear endurance, His comment was, that he would take the gladiator every day and twice on sunday, They are an offshore tire, but their quality is phenomenal apparently. Just thought that i would let you know about a good quality tire for a honest price.
They have a full line-up including many of the new sizes.

Warranty; 2 years from date of manufacturer.

http://gladiatortires.com/wp-content...v_2018_Web.pdf
CWtheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
waltheraustin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Clyde
Posts: 145
Picked up Goodyear endurance d rated tires at discount tire. Drive home was nice! Very smooth and didn't feel any sway for the most part at 65. I saw these tires are rated for faster speeds but 65-70 will be where I stay probably the lower end of that
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
goodellj
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newington
Posts: 54
I struggled with the E-rated tires that came on my Montana 3750RL 5th wheel. I was getting about 8 thousand miles on each tire and couldn't understand why they were wearing out. Fortunately I invested in a tire pressure monitoring system which gave me some warning for slow leaks, which were happening every time belts started to break. A tire would lose a couple of pounds pressure over 24 hours, and if I looked hard enough I could find a bulge on the sidewall or a worn out spot on the tread surface, both indicating broken belts and future blowout.

The fully loaded camper was under it's GVWR, but only by about 10%. The tires were rated for 3,750lbs and when you deduct the tongue weight I thought I was well under the weight limit for the tires. I kept asking advice from tire shop managers every time I bought a new tire. I started carrying 2 extra unmounted tires on every trip, which for us included a 6,000 mile round trip from CT to AZ each winter. I was using one tire on the trip out and the other on the trip back for 2 years in a row.

Finally a tire guy said that I should have a bigger 'reserve', meaning that I was running too close to the weight limits for the tires. I could switch from the E rated 3,750lb tires to G rated 4,000lb tires without replacing the wheels. The actual tires were Gladiators model G4 ST235/85R16. It may not be a lot more weight capacity but it has made a huge difference. I switched in August 2016 and haven't had a problem since. I still watch my pressures closely and do a thorough inspection for wear and bulges before every trip.

A lot of these postings explain the problem they are having with their tires but they are leaving out the weight of the trailer and the ratings of their tires. Every time I read these I think that rather than talk about cheap brands and China-bombs, we should be talking about weights, ratings, and inflation pressures.
__________________
John & Janet from Connecticut
2012 Keystone Montana 3150RL
2012 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4 Lariat Crewcab SRW
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
efrulla
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Warrensburg
Posts: 32
Not sure what is on my 2017 Cougar X-Lite but I am putting a set of Goodyear Endurance Tires on it as soon as it is out of winter storage. Have not had any problems yet and plan on not having any.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
crk112
Member
 
crk112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 99
My Hideout came with Karrier Load Stars. 205/75R14 load range C, two axles. If I use 625lbs tongue weight then all four tires are within 15lbs of GVWR of the trailer which is 7650. I have about 2000mi on them. Iím very careful with pressures and speed.. my understanding is they are speed rated at 65mph. I donít really have a need to tow faster than that anyway. They donít normally lose a whole lot of pressure, the spare loses quite a lot though.

This year I plan on upgrading to the Goodyear Endurance load range D -same size- and adding TPMS with temp. Iím not sure I want to put many more miles on the Load Stars and we have a lot of miles planned this summer!
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
My Hideout came with Karrier Load Stars. 205/75R14 load range C, two axles. If I use 625lbs tongue weight then all four tires are within 15lbs of GVWR of the trailer which is 7650. I have about 2000mi on them. Iím very careful with pressures and speed.. my understanding is they are speed rated at 65mph. I donít really have a need to tow faster than that anyway. They donít normally lose a whole lot of pressure, the spare loses quite a lot though.

This year I plan on upgrading to the Goodyear Endurance load range D -same size- and adding TPMS with temp. Iím not sure I want to put many more miles on the Load Stars and we have a lot of miles planned this summer!
You might want to look at the Goodyear Endurance ST215 75R14 LRD. Price is $1 more than your current size and you'll gain an additional 640 pounds of tire capacity (160x4) for four bucks.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #20
waltheraustin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Clyde
Posts: 145
So is it advisable to stay at the size the trailer came with? What are advantages or disadvantages with going up? I have 205/75 14 so should I move up to a 15 with bigger tires?
__________________

waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×