Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
RedRocket
Member
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 32
Cold weather additives

As winter drags on, I was just wondering what additives do you run in your truck, if any.
I have a 2017 Ram with a 6.7, and I don't run anything in mine as of yet. Just wanting some feedback. Thanks
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
Brentw
Senior Member
 
Brentw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chetwynd, BC
Posts: 375
Nothing. 2013 ram. Change oil as required, buy fuel from a clean,busy place.
__________________
Brent W
2019 Duramax dually
2015 Fuzion 325
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 AM   #3
Badbart56
Senior Member
 
Badbart56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA and Canada
Posts: 807
Nothing in the 6.7 or the 7.3. Over 250 K miles on the 7.3 and over 180 K on the 6.7.
__________________


2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 AM   #4
Javi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 5,451
I run Diesel Kleen in mine as a lubricant and Cetane booster because the diesel in Texas is 5% up to 20% corn and it help...

Not usually cold enough to need anti-gel additives
__________________
2015 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel XL
2020 Avalanche 313 RS
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho, Az
Posts: 6,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I run Diesel Kleen in mine as a lubricant and Cetane booster because the diesel in Texas is 5% up to 20% corn and it help...

Not usually cold enough to need anti-gel additives
Bio diesel is not corn, but more likely recycled cooking oil or something greasy.
Diesel Kleen has a winter additive with cetane lubricity & an anti gel if you think you need/want something, it won't hurt the engine & the cetane boost might help your mileage.
__________________
Full-timed 10+ years
Sold '13 Redwood FB
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
rsv4pilot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 29
Hot Shots Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment since new. They have winter supplement as well..
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Javi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Bio diesel is not corn, but more likely recycled cooking oil or something greasy.
Diesel Kleen has a winter additive with cetane lubricity & an anti gel if you think you need/want something, it won't hurt the engine & the cetane boost might help your mileage.
What ever it is made from I don't like it at all, and don't like the results of running the B20 at all. However the idiot's in Austin have decided that I must run at least B5 so I use the Diesel Kleen supplement and can see and hear a difference if I miss a fillup.

No need for the anti-gel in central Texas.
__________________
2015 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel XL
2020 Avalanche 313 RS
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
ChuckS
Senior Member
 
ChuckS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Home, Idaho
Posts: 2,702
Live in Idaho..cold winters..
Have never used any additive specifically for the cold weather.. I do like to run stanadyne in the fuel tank when towing the 5er.

It adds a little bit of extra lubrication to the fuel pump...otherwise stock 2007 GMC duramax ruining delo 400 Dino oil since new..
__________________


2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 25,217
I think you're both right......

Most cooking oil is made from corn, soy or canola (with some peanuts thrown in for good measure). LARD is still used in some places, but typically it's "healthy fried food boiled in low fat oil produced by America's farmers"..... YMMV
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
1st Chev Diesel
Member
 
1st Chev Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Kelowna, Canada
Posts: 54
Live in Canada..cold winters..
Have used stanadyne in the fuel tank summer and winter since truck was new. Also used in my previous Duramax for 10 years.
__________________
1st Chev Diesel (Retired)
2019 GMC 3500HD SRW Denali Diesel 4x4,CC, SB, Bak Roll-X, box liner, 21K Demco Hijacker Autoslide Hitch
2015 Alpine 3101RL
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
Badbart56
Senior Member
 
Badbart56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA and Canada
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
What ever it is made from I don't like it at all, and don't like the results of running the B20 at all. However the idiot's in Austin have decided that I must run at least B5 so I use the Diesel Kleen supplement and can see and hear a difference if I miss a fillup.

No need for the anti-gel in central Texas.
I've been using biodiesel in my trucks for years with no issues. Even biodiesel levels below 1 percent can provide up to a 65 percent increase in lubricity in distillate fuels. And it has a higher cetane value (51 min vs 40 min for mineral diesel).
__________________


2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
Javi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I've been using biodiesel in my trucks for years with no issues. Even biodiesel levels below 1 percent can provide up to a 65 percent increase in lubricity in distillate fuels. And it has a higher cetane value (51 min vs 40 min for mineral diesel).
B20 biodiesel has an 8-9% lower energy content by volume than petroleum based #2 diesel. And B5 has 1-2% lower energy content. But as you stated biodiesel does have a higher Cetane level and also a higher lubricity than straight ULS #2
__________________
2015 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel XL
2020 Avalanche 313 RS
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
Badbart56
Senior Member
 
Badbart56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA and Canada
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
B20 biodiesel has an 8-9% lower energy content by volume than petroleum based #2 diesel. And B5 has 1-2% lower energy content. But as you stated biodiesel does have a higher Cetane level and also a higher lubricity than straight ULS #2
This is true but with the power and torque that my 6.7 makes it isn't missed.
__________________


2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Javi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
This is true but with the power and torque that my 6.7 makes it isn't missed.
I miss it in mileage, everytime I'm lucky enough to get clean #2ULS my mileage goes up noticeably.
And the Diesel Kleen in the fuel is noticeably quieter than without.
__________________
2015 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel XL
2020 Avalanche 313 RS
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
vampress_me
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 728
I finally remembered to add some anti-gel yesterday since it was 0 and I knew the truck was going to sit outside all day while I was at work. The station I get diesel from does not have mixed in winter, they still just have #2 and #1 in separate fuel pumps. So, figured it may be a good idea. Otherwise, if we are traveling out west I will add cetane booster when I fill up after the interesting problem in Yellowstone the last time we were there.

BTW - Javi, donít visit MN if you donít like biodiesel. They mandated B20 for all diesel about 5 years ago. The stuff is junk when compared to the pre-B20 days. Our truck gets better mileage towing out west where there is no mandate.
__________________
--Lynette

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #16
Badbart56
Senior Member
 
Badbart56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA and Canada
Posts: 807
I really never payed much attention to the mileage on the 6.7. I checked it when I first got it and found it was getting 17.6 empty at 70 mph and 10 when towing at 65 mph. I think it gets about 14 around town.

Now my old 7.3 could get 20.6 provided you kept it at 55 mph on flat ground, but the mileage dropped if you went faster due to the 4:10 gears. At 62 it would get 17 mpg and at 70 mph it was down to 13 mpg.


As for the additives, I found that they were more beneficial when you weren't working the truck hard. It helps prevent carbon buildup around the glow plugs when you're just cruising around in addition to quieting down the engine.
__________________


2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #17
Javi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I really never payed much attention to the mileage on the 6.7. I checked it when I first got it and found it was getting 17.6 empty at 70 mph and 10 when towing at 65 mph. I think it gets about 14 around town.



Now my old 7.3 could get 20.6 provided you kept it at 55 mph on flat ground, but the mileage dropped if you went faster due to the 4:10 gears. At 62 it would get 17 mpg and at 70 mph it was down to 13 mpg.





As for the additives, I found that they were more beneficial when you weren't working the truck hard. It helps prevent carbon buildup around the glow plugs when you're just cruising around in addition to quieting down the engine.
For some reason, maybe bring an engineer... I have kept a running log in Excel of every gallon thru this truck.. and it is very obvious when I don't add the Diesel Kleen for a tank or two, even discounting the difference in noise levels.

I use 16 ounces in a tank (37 gal)... I've used it in the past two trucks and rarely ever miss using it.
__________________
2015 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel XL
2020 Avalanche 313 RS
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 11,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think you're both right......

Most cooking oil is made from corn, soy or canola (with some peanuts thrown in for good measure). LARD is still used in some places, but typically it's "healthy fried food boiled in low fat oil produced by America's farmers"..... YMMV
Always amuses me how people in Costco or high end grocers have a bottle of non-animal fat cooking oil in the cart and they are buying prime rib or wagyu beef, paying a huge premium to get extra fat.
But I digress, to the OP's question. I use diesel kleen myself and I'm not an additive or "snake oil/mechanic in a can" user. YMMV
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #19
77cruiser
Gone Traveling
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Frostbite Falls
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I finally remembered to add some anti-gel yesterday since it was 0 and I knew the truck was going to sit outside all day while I was at work. The station I get diesel from does not have mixed in winter, they still just have #2 and #1 in separate fuel pumps. So, figured it may be a good idea. Otherwise, if we are traveling out west I will add cetane booster when I fill up after the interesting problem in Yellowstone the last time we were there.

BTW - Javi, donít visit MN if you donít like biodiesel. They mandated B20 for all diesel about 5 years ago. The stuff is junk when compared to the pre-B20 days. Our truck gets better mileage towing out west where there is no mandate.
As cold as it's going to be the next few days I'd go fill up with #1.
Several years ago a guy at work was having problem gelling & kept dumping 911 in still gelled, I told to fill it with #1 till it warmed up.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #20
SkiSmuggs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 367
Anti-gel is not needed until temps go negative. I live in Vermont and only add about once a winter when forecasts go crazy cold.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.