RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
BamaRam
Senior Member
 
BamaRam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Divide
Posts: 264
Big glug from grey tank

I have one grey tank serving the kitchen and bath sinks, and the shower. When I drain, it initially flows copiously and then gets to a point where there is just a trickle, then a big glug, then repeats the high flow.

It sounds like the vent is either plugged or undersized.

Any thoughts?
__________________

BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 12,932
Very interesting. I would try filling it about 1/2 way and then try dumping. No glug....try 2/3.

Maybe take off the vent cap and try it. Have someone feel for a vacuum. I have seen the vent pipe cut too long and the cap not allow for enough volume of air for dumping, but allow venting while filling as the volume of water is much less.

Iím interested in what you find.
__________________

__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 5,971
Is this a new condition or has this happened since new? Did this just start happening at a particular cg? Couple of things come to mind. First what Chuck said above. Does the blank tank drain the same volume without doing this? If not, that would eliminate the drain line in the ground running slow. I have read where people have found debris in the tank that blocks the drain pipe. You list the unit as 2018 so I'm assuming it's still under warranty.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
BamaRam
Senior Member
 
BamaRam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Divide
Posts: 264
It has a separate vent for the black tank.

I can’t say for certain how long it’s been doing this. I have thought the the tank was filling up too fast but I blew it off as a bad indicator. Maybe it WAS filling up too fast.

After it’s done draining the indicator reads 2/3.
__________________
2018 Hideout 31RBDS TT
2004.5 Ram Quadcab Short Box 2500 5.9HO, 2WD, Auto, 373s, Edge Insight CTS2.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #5
hankaye
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arrey,
Posts: 2,353
BamaRam, Howdy;

Interesting that you mention the "glug". Question, Do you have a see through
section so you can watch and see when the flow runs clear (for black tank), ?
I ask as I may have somewhat of the same thing happening with mine.
What I see is that the flow actually fills the 'slinky' and backs up until enough
has drained then I see the flow as "it should be" until it runs out. This may be
what is happening with your system. Only my observations and thoughts.

Hope it's that simple and nothing is 'wrong' with your system.

hank
__________________
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 5,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
It has a separate vent for the black tank.

I canít say for certain how long itís been doing this. I have thought the the tank was filling up too fast but I blew it off as a bad indicator. Maybe it WAS filling up too fast.

After itís done draining the indicator reads 2/3.
Don't worry about the indicator lights. It's easy to fill the gray tank quickly if you bring your home habits camping. My BIL had issues with gray tank filling up in less than a day. I watched his family and pointed out a few suggestions. Hid DW would do the dishes with the water running constantly for 15-20 min at a time. The kids would wash their hands and let the water run while they played in it for a good 3-5 min. I asked if he let the water run while brushing his teeth and he said he did. These habits don't matter if your in a cg with full hook ups but if you don't have a sewer connection it can accumulate rapidly. Not saying this is what's happening with your issue I just think it's a good conservation measure.
The recommendation on placing a section of clear pipe is a great start. They are very inexpensive and will let you know how well it's draining as well as how successful your blank tank rinse is.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
BamaRam
Senior Member
 
BamaRam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Divide
Posts: 264
I dont have a clear extension anymore. I had one on the Rhino that started leaking. Need to get one of those jewels. My grey tank drain is 2" going though the termination valve so i cant see how the slinky could make the tank back up.



Chuck, I drained half a tank today and it didnt glug. When it glugs the tank was full when i started draining it.
__________________
2018 Hideout 31RBDS TT
2004.5 Ram Quadcab Short Box 2500 5.9HO, 2WD, Auto, 373s, Edge Insight CTS2.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
BamaRam
Senior Member
 
BamaRam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Divide
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't worry about the indicator lights. It's easy to fill the gray tank quickly if you bring your home habits camping. My BIL had issues with gray tank filling up in less than a day. I watched his family and pointed out a few suggestions. Hid DW would do the dishes with the water running constantly for 15-20 min at a time. The kids would wash their hands and let the water run while they played in it for a good 3-5 min. I asked if he let the water run while brushing his teeth and he said he did. These habits don't matter if your in a cg with full hook ups but if you don't have a sewer connection it can accumulate rapidly. Not saying this is what's happening with your issue I just think it's a good conservation measure.


You're preaching to the choir but thanks.
Now, If i could convince the DW...
__________________
2018 Hideout 31RBDS TT
2004.5 Ram Quadcab Short Box 2500 5.9HO, 2WD, Auto, 373s, Edge Insight CTS2.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 11,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
You're preaching to the choir but thanks.
Now, If i could convince the DW...
Took my sister camping in the RV. She just WOULD not abide by the normal rules of using water in the RV thereby filling the tanks very quickly. The 2nd time after telling her and she wouldn't stop they filled up. She wanted to "do her thing" and I told her there is no capacity - you have filled it....repeatedly. She said what do you do, you need to fix it. I advised I had told her over and over to stop abusing the water....the solution - she had to go out in the rain and dump the tanks. I went with her and held a light ( which I shouldn't have but I did want them to dump). Took her 15 minutes, she was soaked and VERY unhappy. End of story was that I never had to have that discussion again.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:27 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team
 
ctbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
I dont have a clear extension anymore. I had one on the Rhino that started leaking. Need to get one of those jewels. My grey tank drain is 2" going though the termination valve so i cant see how the slinky could make the tank back up.



Chuck, I drained half a tank today and it didnt glug. When it glugs the tank was full when i started draining it.
If the slinky is full of water because it's draining into the sewer connection slowly that acts like a plug. It would slow it down until the slinky drains enough to allow the water from the tank to continue draining. I think that is what was meant by the comment.
__________________

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:33 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 5,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Took my sister camping in the RV. She just WOULD not abide by the normal rules of using water in the RV thereby filling the tanks very quickly. The 2nd time after telling her and she wouldn't stop they filled up. She wanted to "do her thing" and I told her there is no capacity - you have filled it....repeatedly. She said what do you do, you need to fix it. I advised I had told her over and over to stop abusing the water....the solution - she had to go out in the rain and dump the tanks. I went with her and held a light ( which I shouldn't have but I did want them to dump). Took her 15 minutes, she was soaked and VERY unhappy. End of story was that I never had to have that discussion again.
Yup, did the same with the DW, made the solution set in. We had the same learning moment with running A/C and microwave simultaneously on 30 amps while HWH and fridge is on shore power. I walked with her to the pedestal and instructed her on resetting the breaker, then explained that it would take 2 min for the EMS to reset and restore power. Also explained how to check plus and breaker for excess heat. All of this while our neighbor had about 10 people watching. Now she remembers to turn the A/C to fan only while microwaving.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
BamaRam
Senior Member
 
BamaRam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Divide
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
If the slinky is full of water because it's draining into the sewer connection slowly that acts like a plug. It would slow it down until the slinky drains enough to allow the water from the tank to continue draining. I think that is what was meant by the comment.

Okay, i get it now. The sewer hook up has to have more flow capacity than the output of the slinky. Makes sense. Thanks.
__________________
2018 Hideout 31RBDS TT
2004.5 Ram Quadcab Short Box 2500 5.9HO, 2WD, Auto, 373s, Edge Insight CTS2.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
mj5150
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lacey
Posts: 69
I saw a couple people mention opening a vent.
I was unaware of a vent.
We have a 2017 Raptor. Where would I find the vents for our gray (2) and black (1) tanks?

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #14
Lymey
Junior Member
 
Lymey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 9
Hope this might help

I can not answer as to why the ďglugĒ but it seems all the other response addressed it well. I would suggest that you put some of the same enzymes you use for your black tank into the grey tank. I do this often to help keep the grey tank clean. It may help you as well.
Lymey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
Irv gates
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MARSHALL
Posts: 33
Smile Waste water tanks-

I purchased a new Montana 5th wheel 4 years ago. In the last 6 months the smell from the tanks got stronger inside the trailer. I started using more chemicals ,but that didnt seem to help either. This week I decided to replace the vent covers on the roof for better air flow. Well, I found the problem as soon as I lifted the cover.
My local native Wasps had build mud dobbler nests in the top of the pipes, and left about a 1/2 inch hole for the air to vent. Come to find out ,all my vents had the same problem. After cleaning those out , I could actually smell the odors from the tanks. I guess I will check those more often now. That will probably help the the drainage of the tanks also. Happy trails..
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #16
Irv gates
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MARSHALL
Posts: 33
Normally your vents will be topside on the roof, but I have also seem them under the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen areas. The vents inside the camper are more of a valve because they will operate in one direction, allowing air to flow In or out to the tanks. If they get stuck in the open position, you will get a higher level of smell than normal. They are easily replaced with a better quality one, than what you get with the trailer.
__________________

Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×