Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
LaTundra

Added backup lights to TT.

I mounted Optronics LED lights on the rear bumper of my Keystone Laredo 291tg. I ran the wire into a storage compartment that had 12VDC. I connected to the power and added a rocker switch. The lights are very bright and the price was good. Can't wait to go camping and put these lights to work. I am testing a voice activated remote control: when backing up, I yell out the window "Hey Honey, go turn on the backup lights". Hasn't worked yet.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I made a "T" bar across the bike cycle post on the rear bumper and mounted 2 old school 55 watt tractor lights. Switch is near them. I can rotate them, They are handy for backing of course and also just giving light beside or behind RV when dry camping.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
KSH

Can you guys post some pictures. I need lights back there and haven't decided what to do yet. I was hoping to just pull power from the running lights on the trailer. Is that not a good idea?
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
LaTundra

I hooked up aGarmin backup camera to the running lights. I Can use it as a rearview of the TT while towing.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Can you guys post some pictures. I need lights back there and haven't decided what to do yet. I was hoping to just pull power from the running lights on the trailer. Is that not a good idea?
I would suggest not using the running lights to power bright white lights that face the rear. If you forget to turn them off or if someone plays with the switch in a parking lot, you could create a driving hazard for those behind you. There is a pin on the 7 way connector for backup lights and that wire is in the junction box on the trailer tongue/pinbox. You can connect to that and have power only when in reverse and connected to the tow vehicle (similar to the way your TV backup lights work) or you can wire them to a "always on" 12 VDC connection.

If you choose the "always on" connection, it's obvious that the lights are on/off when you do your walk-around before departure. If you have them connected to the running lights, you won't be able to check the reverse lights unless the running lights are on, something few of us do while at intermediate stops. That could set you up to turn on your lights during rain or at dusk and inadvertently turn on the bright reverse lights and not know they're on.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

I have the backup lights on all my trailers...Just love them My enclosed sled trailer is where I got started. Alaska winters are long and dark with the lights backing is a breeze.

Now for a couple of ideas for everyone. I have my lights mounted up under the trailer. I like to have a bit of light around/behind the tires and it gives a great light behind the trailer. Don't need them to project very far. They can also provide a bit of light at sani dumps if your hookups are behind the axles. That is personal preference. I just didn't like the idea of backing in and blinding my new neighbors either so I kept things low and out of the way.

As for wiring them in...I run into a relay and the relay gets it's power from the trailer to power the lights. Most vehicles with 7 pin trailer plugs have a reverse post. I use that to switch the relay on and off. I also add a switch inside the trailer to turn the lights on when disconnected. Or you can get real fancy: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...essory_of=3770

As for the type of lights I recommend running a a single or double row LED horizontal bar. These will give the best width pattern and still have plenty on distance behind the trailer. Example: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...SABEgJu1vD_BwE

The last bit of advice is to heat shrink all the connections and dielectric grease is a great idea.....Think water proof when putting it together.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

There is nearly an endless lighting and mounting choices. Wiring also several ways. I ran the hot to a battery post with a fuse and switch between. grounded on frame. For me I do not want them on everytime I back up. I do not post photos sorry.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
There is nearly an endless lighting and mounting choices. Wiring also several ways. I ran the hot to a battery post with a fuse and switch between. grounded on frame. For me I do not want them on everytime I back up. I do not post photos sorry.
Just curious as why you would not want them on especially a low set that would not broadcast light forever.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I do not understand your question. The bike cycle post on the rear bumper is measured 4 foot, 4 inches above road level. To top of cross bar I welded on it for a light mounting base. I did not want to mount anything on the trailer walls. If I had a luggage rack with metal bars on the roof, that would be a good place to mount lights facing down, rear and sides. This was a small test project and for me it works great. I will someday dump the 55 watt lights and go LEDs with 4 total. 2 facing straight back and 2 left/right. Being able to see beyond the sides of the trailer near the rear is just a important as behind.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
eddiefenton76

Backup Lights

Can someone tell me WHY manufacturers dont use the reverse light from the 7-pin and run a reserve wire to the tail lights and add one tiny white bulb to each side of the Trailer?

Makes no sense to me!

Why make us go through all of the hassles of wiring backup lights?
eddiefenton76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
travelin texans

This just opposite for me! Mine came with 2 backup lights & 2 stop/taillights molded into rear cap, I replaced all 4 with LED stop/taillights as I do not ever plan on parking after dark but do regularly stop/turn & want to be seen.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefenton76 View Post
Can someone tell me WHY manufacturers dont use the reverse light from the 7-pin and run a reserve wire to the tail lights and add one tiny white bulb to each side of the Trailer?

Makes no sense to me!

Single word answer: MONEY

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefenton76 View Post

Makes no sense to me!

Exactly on the money! I had to trace my center (purple) wire to do a crimp connection to it and then run my own purple wire to the rear bumper. Then, I screwed on two "L" brackets and mounted standard 6" oval white lights in them. When I put my tow vehicle in reverse, the lights go on, no biggie. It is ridiculous that most RV's have no reverse/backup lights on them. At best, it's an inconvenience. At worst, it's a real dangerous thing for the times when you might need to back up, with vehicles coming forward, behind you.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
This just opposite for me! Mine came with 2 backup lights & 2 stop/taillights molded into rear cap, I replaced all 4 with LED stop/taillights as I do not ever plan on parking after dark but do regularly stop/turn & want to be seen.
What's that joke about wanting to make God laugh by telling Him your plans? It's great that you know you'll never have to ever back up, at night. Wish I could find a way to eliminate that possibility from my RV'ing experience, forever.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Having the trailer rear lights wired with a clear lens backup light would be nice but, not any help from the driver's seat. Only those paying attention driving up behind you. I wired mine to to used while camping besides backing up. Nice to have light when dry camping behind trailer especially to start the genny or when big game hunting, lights up the hanging big game.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #16
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Having the trailer rear lights wired with a clear lens backup light would be nice but, not any help from the driver's seat. Only those paying attention driving up behind you. I wired mine to to used while camping besides backing up. Nice to have light when dry camping behind trailer especially to start the genny or when big game hunting, lights up the hanging big game.
Huh? I have my camera on, all of the time, driving forward and reverse. The backup lights make a BIG difference from the driver's seat, as long as your camera is on.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles65 View Post
What's that joke about wanting to make God laugh by telling Him your plans? It's great that you know you'll never have to ever back up, at night. Wish I could find a way to eliminate that possibility from my RV'ing experience, forever.
In my case we're retired & drive 200-300 miles per day, maybe, & will be stopped, parked, & set up long before dark.
Even before retirement the back up lights didn't help much with backing a trailer into a site, at least they never helped me.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #18
Ken / Claudia

Miles, I never mentioned a camera. Turn yours off and tell us how well you see behind the trailer at night or even day time.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #19
BobMcC

Backup Light

I ran a 45' primary wire (16 ga) under my Carbon 347 and tied into the yellow wire in the junction box at the pin box. This was already wired to the reverse light in the 7 pin connector, it was just dead ended in the junction box. I added an Xsprite white LED (https://xpriteusa.com/1pc-4w-white-4...be-light-head/) to the center rear, just below the ramp hinge.

I also added a few other LED assemblies to "get noticed" when stopping. The original lights are simply not enough to make me feel safe when stopping.
BobMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #20
Kylemcmahon1

Added flush mount lights in my bumper. Only draw back is you loose sewer hose storage. For me not a big deal my sewer hose does not fit in there anyway. Ran a wire to the front trailer plug junction box hooked to back up wire. Works great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	17617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	17618
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights