Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
I don't see how that works? All the videos I've seen have the 3 valves. How is the antifreeze stopped from entering the HW tank? I must be missing something?
Ask and you shall receive. Add this to your YouTube viewing repertoire.
https://youtu.be/bDulXxUruPs

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #22
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Ah the old one way check valve...I see how it works now, thanks. Mind you a faulty one is not good as what happened in that video. I guess it's cheaper to plumb the check valves compared to the shut offs? Thanks again...I'll be expecting to see that configuration then in my rbs22.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Fairly certain even you were a newbie at some point along with the rest of us! It's a difficult to "inquire" about something if you don't have any idea about it.
Agreed, my intent was that dealers look at it as people don't inquire so don't waste your time. Sort of a don't ask don't tell. When we purchased our camper new the dealer had the tech that did the dealer prep do our PDI. He was excellent and thorough but, he also was aware that I had an extensive background in electrical engineering and construction management so don't know how it would be for a "newbie".
As a previous owner of boats for many years I would pay a marine surveyor to inspect a boat before purchase, at least the larger ones, for my protection. When people buy a house a certified inspector is typically required by the lender to protect their interest. I don't know why the RV industry hasn't adopted this. I suppose it's the false hope and past experiences with dealing with warranty issues at car dealerships. Think what an uproar it would create if you took your brand new car back to the dealer and they said "we can have that back to you in 6 weeks". It's amazing to me what the American consumer will tolerate. I apologize for going off topic and will retreat from my soapbox now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:40 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Gal at our church told us last week they had purchased a new RV and took it back to the dealer for small issues to be covered under warranty.... several months ago. She was kind of jealous that I owned an OLD RV (2002) and did my own minor maintenance stuff so could go out and actually camp when we liked. I can imagine an appliance going out under warranty and taking a week or two to get a replacement but what else should take more than a couple weeks to fix?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:34 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Gal at our church told us last week they had purchased a new RV and took it back to the dealer for small issues to be covered under warranty.... several months ago. She was kind of jealous that I owned an OLD RV (2002) and did my own minor maintenance stuff so could go out and actually camp when we liked. I can imagine an appliance going out under warranty and taking a week or two to get a replacement but what else should take more than a couple weeks to fix?
Often a dealer will require you to bring in the trailer first. Then they will contact the manufacturer to get the approval for a warranty claim. Then they will have to order the part(s) and sometimes those replacement parts are sent inside a new unit to save shipping costs. This can take some considerable time especially if it's not an "off the shelf" iten like cabinetry, Doors, skirting, etc. Others can chime in as there are several active RV techs on here but I'm just relaying from my personal experiences.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #26
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Looks like I could be wrong again...this is our first RV I understood from our dealer up here in Canada, that the PDI was something they did before your orientation and delivery? They do a thorough inspection of everything making sure all is good. Then you have the orientation/demo of your new RV. Am I wrong or is that the normal thing?
I actually did my own PDI when I had my hitch installed and pointed out a bunch of issues which hopefully will be taken care of before pick up on May 17...I'll be sending our dealer a friendly reminder next week
Old 05-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Looks like I could be wrong again...this is our first RV I understood from our dealer up here in Canada, that the PDI was something they did before your orientation and delivery? They do a thorough inspection of everything making sure all is good. Then you have the orientation/demo of your new RV. Am I wrong or is that the normal thing?
I actually did my own PDI when I had my hitch installed and pointed out a bunch of issues which hopefully will be taken care of before pick up on May 17...I'll be sending our dealer a friendly reminder next week

Yes, there is "supposed" to be a dealer PDI before the trailer is delivered. But, as we've seen on this and other forums many times, that fails to happen and then the new owner gets to "find" all sorts of issues that should have been found, and fixed, on the dealer PDI. I received a pink? sheet from the dealer when I bought this one that listed all the things they found and what they did. It was their way of telling me it was good to go. I told them that I would do my own PDI with them. They were a bit quizzical so I told them we would do a walk thru/new owner orientation but I wanted to hook everything up and see how they worked. Went well, and over 3 hours later we were done; note pad filled out and a video. I FORGOT the black tank flush and it was the VERY first thing to fail (installed backward)!! So if they don't want to do a 2nd PDI, or want to charge you for it, just tell them you want to do a VERY thorough walk thru/orientation
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #28
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Thanks for that sourdough...50 years eh! I think the divorce rates are lower for RV'ers...we just passed 32 years The lesson here I guess is love thy wife, camping, and thy RV and to arrange an inspection of your own when you pay for that RV. Point out any concerns and asked them to be fixed when the PDI is done so when it comes time for the demo and delivery everyone's happy
Old 05-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The dealer should do this before delivery, most people use the term for both. Pre Delivery Inspection before delivery by the dealer in most cases is like a dealer prep. Install items not installed at the factory, check over the unit for defects and correct. Mistakes happen and things can get missed as is human nature. The customer when taking possession should be checking that things work and get oriented to the paperwork (appliance manuals etc.) and informed where things are and how they work.
Every new vehicle purchased my dealer sat down and went over the owners manual, warranties and maintenance schedules before going out and explaining all the controls and how they work, from the radio to where the fuel cap is. Back in the 1980's I test drove a new Mercury Marquise, loved the car but negotiated a deal on one with more options. When that car was ready they handed me the keys and said congratulations. I demanded a test drive first and they thought I was crazy. So off we (salesman and myself) go down the road and the steering wheel was off. Drove right to my front end shop, with salesman and had it checked. Yup, brand new car was wrecked (later found out on the transport truck) and the frame was bent. That exercised saved me a lot of trouble and cost a little time.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:56 AM   #30
hankaye

RagingRobert, Howdy;

Perhaps you joined the forum after buying your RV, if so then you most likely
didn't see or take note of the linked post.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5129

I didn't have the inspection sheet when I had my PDI when I bought my RV but
when I was in the Navy I did aircraft maintenance and was the assigned squadron/
detachment Damage control petty officer whenever we deployed on a ship
which meant that I was charged with maintaining all the ships fittings, valves,
fire hoses, battle lanterns, etc. that were installed in the spaces assigned to our
squadron/detachment. So, I got used to pokin' and nosin' around to find all that
stuff. Like lookin' at the lower panels around the galley area for removable
panels, Even found a back access to my Black tank flush connection in a
storage cabinet under the entertainment center.
Reckon what I'm trying to say is get to know your RV, nose around so that
when something stops or doesn't stop, you already know where the valve/
switch is located. Being able (knowledgeable), to prevent damage is the key
to peace of mind and a more enjoyable camping experience.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

P-pre
D-delivery
I-inspection

Walkthrough- demo at time of customer pick up.

Some dealers and some techs are more thorough than others. As a rule the warranty start paperwork has a list that must be checked and signed off. Some dealerships have an “internal” form that must be filled out and signed. Factory DOESNT pay for this, customer does. Having a good dealer and a decent tech is critical. I used to work at a dealership that was “flat rate”. IMO it encouraged techs to shortcut and skip important steps. Glad I get paid by the hour and get sufficient time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater