Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
jodipitbull

How long is too long?

We found another travel trailer we might be interested in and it’s 37’11”. GVWR is 9,655. So how long is too long on a travel trailer? Will it be hard to tow? Become a sail boat on the freeway? What about corners? Will it be hard to find camp sites that can accommodate it? Require a dually to keep stable?
jodipitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
slow

Rule of thumb often referenced is 20 feet of TT for the first 120 inches of TV wheelbase, then 1 foot of additional trailer length for each additional 4 inches of wheelbase greater than 120 inches.

As an example, with a 156 inch wheel base (typical for short bed HDs), (20 + (156-120)/4) = 29 feet.

I always assumed the TT length referred to this rule of thumb was for the "box" length not the overall that adds close to another 3 1/2 feet to a typical TT. Others may be able to clarify.

If the TT you are referring to is 38 feet overall, then the rule of thumb would suggest you need a TV with a 178 inch wheelbase. (((38 - 3.5) - 20) * 4) +120 Those are typically long box trucks.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Isn't this trailer as big or bigger than the last one that was discussed in the 312bh vs 1500 thread?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
jodipitbull

Yes we are either getting a bigger truck or just pay someone to move it around. It’s come to a showdown between the Outback 312BH and the Laredo 331BH. I have two different dealers offering them for the exact same price out the door. Laredo is nicer and bigger. Outback has inCommand and second door straight into the bathroom, which is nice for dirty dogs. It’s a coin toss. I may not sleep tonight.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Trailer length and it's effect on the TV is completely dependent on the TV.
Either is too long for the 1500. For an HD truck or larger, not so much but the truck still has a lot to do with it so knowing the truck is crucial to being able to answer the question correctly. If you are not ever going to tow it and just pay someone to move it around then it's a moot point.

Good luck on choosing the one you want......and getting some sleep! It can be exciting and frustrating at the same time.

Edit: Upon reflection I would add that if I were you I would just pick the truck and do that. A new RV opens up so many windows and opportunities for travel and memories that I can't imaging making that purchase just to have it sit. I know some do but boy, they really open up the world if you can take advantage of that.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
Freeheel4life

Sounds like regardless, you've got the fever and are going to pull the trigger. Head over to the Keystone Questions section of the forum and print off the PDI sticky at the top of the threads before you drive it off the lot. Oh yeah, go through the list too
Old 04-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi3888 View Post
We found another travel trailer we might be interested in and it’s 37’11”. GVWR is 9,655. So how long is too long on a travel trailer? Will it be hard to tow? Become a sail boat on the freeway? What about corners? Will it be hard to find camp sites that can accommodate it? Require a dually to keep stable?
IMO, any travel trailer over 35 feet will be much more of a challenge to maneuver in and out of parking lots, gas stations, camp ground roads, and campsites. I own an 35 foot pull behind and would never want anything longer, especially in our state park campgrounds. I researched this extensively before buying mine 2 years ago.

If your destination is only private RV resorts with full hookup on large pull-thru pads, then length may not be a deciding factor. But at 38 feet, you'll have less options when it comes to the smaller campgrounds. Tail swing is something you have to consider when near gas pumps, other coaches, etc.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
notanlines

Jodi, I believe you already know the answer to most of those questions. 35 feet is too long for a half ton anything, it will be a big sail, and it will be hard to maneuver to buy fuel, and it won't fit in half the RV slots in the parks. Minimum of a 3/4 ton to tow. I don't see the need for a dually. All that was settled the first time around.
I looked at the floor plans of the two. How many people do y'all plan to accommodate at the lake? Both of these rigs sleep about a family of twenty. Also one had the bathroom about a block away from the bed. By the time I walk that far I'm wide awake and have a heck of a time going back to sleep.
Dollar for dollar both of these are nice RV's. (You might ask here who REALLY likes their InCommand and who doesn't)
All that considered, these are exciting times. Shopping is certainly half the fun. Keep us up on your decisions.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're considering parking it on a permanent (or semi-permanent) site, you might want to consider the park models. Keystone and other manufacturers produce "destination trailers" specifically designed to meet the needs of people who don't tow often, but want a smaller than mobile home sized trailer so they can park it in a place that has a "campground atmosphere"...

Considering one of the destination trailers might eliminate the need for upgrading the tow vehicle and give you more "house like features" as well as a large, moveable trailer. https://www.keystonerv.com/destination-trailers/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #10
ken56

Last June we upgraded from a 30ft. TT to a 2017 37ft. Laredo 334RE. I have a '16 GMC 6L gas engine 2500HD to pull it with and it does fine with it. Biggest issue I have is gas stations. I need a regular gas pump and most stations are not set up for getting 58 feet of truck and trailer in and out of. I take secondary roads when I can because we don't like the interstate and I have never encountered anything I could not maneuver through or around. THAT SAID, its a beast to pull. Its big and you need to pay CLOSE attention when turning corners and going in and out of parking lots and such.

We love our Laredo even though its big and all the issues that make hauling it more difficult. Take your time and don't be hasty about things when towing, you will adjust to it. Its a bit more research involved to make sure we will fit into a campground but have always been accommodated. TN state parks have been upgrading facilities and some will fit our rig in, some won't. Private parks are more likely to accommodate large rigs.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
drew999999

Hey! Something I have experience with. I pull a Passport 3350BH with a 2013 F150. The length is about 37.5' but a little lighter than the TTs you're looking at. I'm about 7200lbs loaded. My advice would be to look at how you plan to use the TT. If you're looking to stay close to home, a properly equiped 1/2 ton may suit your needs. If you're wanting to pull that big monster around the US comfortably, you may want to look into the 3/4 ton. As I'm within all weights on my truck/trailer combo, my main concern was the length and how the wind and passing vehicles affected it. We also normally stay within 200 miles of home and are weekend warriors, so no long hauls for us. Due to this, I chose to keep my Ecoboost and do some upgrades to help with the handling along with an upgraded hitch. Lots of posts on things that will help with handling. Nothing that can be done to help with payload. Overall, I feel very controlled with my combo and can cruise in the 62-64mph range very easily.

As for parking and maneuvering, I've had very little issue with anywhere I've been. Even though it's a long TT, the axles are in about the spot as a 30' trailer, so backing and turning are not much different. The biggest thing it that you have a LOT more hanging rear of the TT axles and when you turn, there is a lot swinging around. I'm ultra cautious when making sharp turns so I don't scrape anything in the next lane.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I'm confused (comes with age I guess). I thought you were getting a permanent site and having a tow company move it. Now you're asking the same questions, just a different model. Are you expecting this to change the equation and make your 1500 acceptable? Not trying to be harsh, I'm just not understanding.
With that said, I agree with John, maybe a park model would better suit your needs.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #13
ADQ K9

My set up, CC LB TV weighs 8500# empty, with a 11500# GVW and 176" wheelbase. Our TT has a GVW of 8800#and is 36.5' Long from from front of hitch to back of bumper. I put these two together with a 15K weight distribution hitch with built in sway control, total length just shy of 60' I am very careful manuvering in tight spaces and have not had a problem in state or federal parks here in Alaska. There are some places it wont fit but most places here have a variety of spaces to fit both small and large units
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #14
jodipitbull

The Laredo 331BH TT won. We are keeping the 1500. We are going to pay someone to deliver the TT and park it. We really just wanted it at our favorite campgrounds for us to use there any way. My boyfriend only has 10 days of vacation per year so we dont have time to tour the country. At least for now. Thanks for all the great advice and helping us to make an educated decision!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Well then let the party start! Enjoy and post pics of it parked and set up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote