Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Hercules H901

Iím picking up my new Carbon 357 on Monday. Didnít want to leave the lot with the trailer king may pops on it. Got a quote from local tire store there and was quoted a decent price for Hercules H-901ís in size 235/85 16. 14 ply steel sidewall. Anyone have experience with these?
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 6,005
It appears that four of these retail in the $800 range? A fair amount of money for a relatively unknown brand. I can't help on the quality; good or bad. But for that amount I might be inclined to go with Sailuns instead. But I will say this to welcome you to the site: You're making a great decision by dumping the TK's.
__________________
Jim in Memphis, Wife of 51 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2018 Mobile Suites 40RSSA
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus
 
ctbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,879
Walmart has Carlisles in that size from $95 a tire. That's a significant savings for a known tire. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...-F-12/55012161

If it was me I wouldn't hesitate or even think twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
__________________

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
It appears that four of these retail in the $800 range? A fair amount of money for a relatively unknown brand. I can't help on the quality; good or bad. But for that amount I might be inclined to go with Sailuns instead. But I will say this to welcome you to the site: You're making a great decision by dumping the TK's.
This isnít my first RV. Iíve owned a toyhauler, travel trailer, and even a 45í class A motorcoach in the past. The price I was quoted was $147/tire plus $50/tire credit for the King pops. They appear to be a quality tire with steel sidewalls and high load and speed range. Both admirable with the weight of the TH. Just would like to hear some experiences. The tire dealer ďsayĒ they have had great service out of the tire.
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Walmart has Carlisles in that size from $95 a tire. That's a significant savings for a known tire. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...-F-12/55012161

If it was me I wouldn't hesitate or even think twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I have looked at the Carlisleís. Canít find that price youíre quoting near me. Best price Iíve seen is $127/tire.
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 4,866
You won't find that price near you. That price in the link is the WalMart online price. You buy them on line and they ship free to your nearest WalMart store. Free mounting at my store. Hard to beat for a great tire. I have 13 of them on various trailers.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Reese Goosebox 20K
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
CWtheMan
Senior Member
 
CWtheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbckr View Post
Iím picking up my new Carbon 357 on Monday. Didnít want to leave the lot with the trailer king may pops on it. Got a quote from local tire store there and was quoted a decent price for Hercules H-901ís in size 235/85 16. 14 ply steel sidewall. Anyone have experience with these?
Their H901 LT235/85R16G requires a minimum rim width of 6.5". Your OEMs are probably only 6.0".

They also have 901s with ST designated sizes.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Their H901 LT235/85R16G requires a minimum rim width of 6.5". Your OEMs are probably only 6.0".

They also have 901s with ST designated sizes.
The ones Iím looking at are the ST version. Theyíre specifically designed for trailer use.
Opinion on them?
__________________
2018 GMC 3500
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2018 Carbon 357
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
CWtheMan
Senior Member
 
CWtheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbckr View Post
The ones I’m looking at are the ST version. They’re specifically designed for trailer use.
Opinion on them?
They probably have never been used as OEM but they have been in the tire business a long time. I don't do recommendations even if I've used a tire. What works or doesn't work for me may be just the opposite for other users.

Here is a link with their sizes and specs.

http://herculestirecommercial.com/ti...ialty-trailer/

They have a LRG 15" with 3200# of load capacity. Really nice option for those with very little distance between tires.

I know you can't use them. Just stuck it in there for others to see.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 AM   #10
Tinner12002
Senior Member
 
Tinner12002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,068
I've not had any experience with the Hercules tires. On your toy hauler I'd definitely go with G rated Sailun tires, just make sure your wheels are rated for 110psi. Just my opinion. They came factory on my toy hauler but in a 235/80/R16. Just courious are you sure your are 85 series? The price I'm finding them at is $312 per pair for 85 series Sailuns with free shipping.
__________________
2015 Ram,3500,Dually,B&W,4.10s,Aisin,Limited,Silver
2018 Raptor,428SP w/full body paint
2012 Harley, Ultra Limited
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #11
Knucklehead
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Troy
Posts: 65
Tires

Hi I put a set of these on the toy hauler last spring and feel very good about the performance of them. Am going to put a set on the 1999 F350 DRW TV when the ones on it need changing again.
__________________
Jo & Burt
1999 F350 7.3 MTans DRW 4Door 4X4 4:10 gears
2013 Raptor 297 SE
2005 Sprinter 276FWRLS
1990 Jayco 26 Special
1985 Jayco 1008 SG Popup
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:21 AM   #12
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I've not had any experience with the Hercules tires. On your toy hauler I'd definitely go with G rated Sailun tires, just make sure your wheels are rated for 110psi. Just my opinion. They came factory on my toy hauler but in a 235/80/R16. Just courious are you sure your are 85 series? The price I'm finding them at is $312 per pair for 85 series Sailuns with free shipping.
Where are you finding them? Iíve checked with several dealers down here in south TX and no one can get them.

The tires on the TH now are 235/80/R16. Iím going back with tha size in the Hercs since I canít find the Sailuns.
__________________
2018 GMC 3500
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2018 Carbon 357
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:29 AM   #13
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
Hi I put a set of these on the toy hauler last spring and feel very good about the performance of them. Am going to put a set on the 1999 F350 DRW TV when the ones on it need changing again.
Glad to hear of some experience with them! Iím most likely pulling the trigger to get them today.
__________________
2018 GMC 3500
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2018 Carbon 357
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
Hodgy
Senior Member
 
Hodgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bragg Creek
Posts: 636
.

I went and looked for my size, ST225 75R15 and two came back. Quite a weight difference between the H901 ST and the ST2. One is a F and one is a E. As usual just a bunch of numbers to me.

OP how do you know the 901's are 14 ply ? Wonder if the 901's are a bit of a rough ride ?

There are Hercules up here in the GWN.


http://herculestirecommercial.com/re...225&ar=75&d=15

.
__________________
2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
.

I went and looked for my size, ST225 75R15 and two came back. Quite a weight difference between the H901 ST and the ST2. One is a F and one is a E. As usual just a bunch of numbers to me.

OP how do you know the 901's are 14 ply ? Wonder if the 901's are a bit of a rough ride ?

There are Hercules up here in the GWN.


http://herculestirecommercial.com/re...225&ar=75&d=15

.
Check the website https://www.herculestire.com/tire-de...les/H-901%20ST

Look at the specs for your size.

For my trailer and because of its weight, Iím getting load range G. 235/80/R16
__________________
2018 GMC 3500
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2018 Carbon 357
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
Hodgy
Senior Member
 
Hodgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bragg Creek
Posts: 636
.

I checked and still cannot make sense of the numbers, 14 ply ?

.
__________________
2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 AM   #17
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Hodge, as a senior member, is there a reason to your question?
__________________
2018 GMC 3500
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2018 Carbon 357
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #18
Hodgy
Senior Member
 
Hodgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bragg Creek
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbckr View Post
Hodge, as a senior member, is there a reason to your question?

Yes there is. I cannot for the life of me figure out that chart, or many others, and how to know what ply it is.

In your original post you said the tires were 14 ply, I would like to know how you found that out. More importantly I would like to be able to read information and find that out on my own.

.
__________________
2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #19
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Yes there is. I cannot for the life of me figure out that chart, or many others, and how to know what ply it is.

In your original post you said the tires were 14 ply, I would like to know how you found that out. More importantly I would like to be able to read information and find that out on my own.

.
The 14 ply Iím referring to is a ďratingĒ only. Tires are stamped on the sidewall what ply rating they are. On the Hercules page, it isnít spelled out as plainly, but rather as an extension after the size of the tire. For instance, for my size, 235/85R16/14. With 14 ply being the rating.

On the size you chose, they are 12 ply rating. 225/75R15/12. With 12 being the ply rating. The other numbers give other information that is useful. The load range letter and the load range index value tell you how much weight the tire will carry at max pressure. Again, for the size you chose, 3195# at max pressure.

All this info can be found on various websites.
__________________
2018 GMC 3500
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2018 Carbon 357
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #20
rzrbckr
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spring
Posts: 38
Iím by no means an expert on anything. Especially tires. I can decipher a few things occasionally on the www.
__________________
2018 GMC 3500
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2018 Carbon 357
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.