RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
Adding a receiver on TT

Iím trying to figure this out and Iím looking for opinions, I have a 2012 Hideout towed with a 2017 F-250 Diesel.

I need to see if thereís a way I can take my motorcycle with us on trips, the back of my truck is full with an ATV, but I want to try and take both. Has anyone ever had a receiver installed on the back of a TT that will be able to support 400lbs. plus? I know a sewer cover receiver is a no go and Iíve read about frames cracking and twisting with a receiver fabricated to the back..

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated; this has been driving me nuts.
__________________

cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus
 
PARAPTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western PA
Posts: 2,733
Think that would be considered double towing, illegal in most states
__________________

__________________
2013 RAPTOR 300MP w/Rear Patio Deck NO Folding Side Ladder
2013 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CC LB 4X4 DRW
Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel; Allison Trans
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran


PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
No it's not double, I would get a motorcycle hitch rack to just plug into the receiver. Sorry for not clarifying.

cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 5,389
CPT_MAJESTIC I'd suggest doing a search here on the forum. There have been many posts in the past regarding your question as well as the related double towing that PARAPTOR brought up.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
CPT_MAJESTIC I'd suggest doing a search here on the forum. There have been many posts in the past regarding your question as well as the related double towing that PARAPTOR brought up.
I did search, went through pages of results with nothing that helped, I'm not interested in double towing, I'm interested in adding a receiver to a TT that will support that rack with a 400 lb motorcycle on it.
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 19,579
Travel trailer bumpers and frames are typically NOT structurally strong enough to support that much weight. Most have difficulty with 100-200 pounds. Adding a receiver MAY provide more reliability (as far as strength goes) but opens up another concern. That is hitch weight and maintaining the appropriate 10-15% of total trailer weight on the hitch.

Between the strength problems and weight (balance) problems, I'd be very reluctant to try it. Four hundred pounds of motorcycle PLUS the weight of the receiver and the mounts is going to add up to a total weight of 500 pounds or more.

As an alternative, I'd be more inclined to look at finding a way to either carry it in the truck bed (adapt a rack to carry both the ATV and the cycle) or consider a rack on the front of the tow truck.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Travel trailer bumpers and frames are typically NOT structurally strong enough to support that much weight. Most have difficulty with 100-200 pounds. Adding a receiver MAY provide more reliability (as far as strength goes) but opens up another concern. That is hitch weight and maintaining the appropriate 10-15% of total trailer weight on the hitch.

Between the strength problems and weight (balance) problems, I'd be very reluctant to try it. Four hundred pounds of motorcycle PLUS the weight of the receiver and the mounts is going to add up to a total weight of 500 pounds or more.

As an alternative, I'd be more inclined to look at finding a way to either carry it in the truck bed (adapt a rack to carry both the ATV and the cycle) or consider a rack on the front of the tow truck.
Yeah that's about what I've came up with, I just thought the weight for the TT would be too much, and the down side of the front of the tow vehicle (from what I've read) is blocking the headlights and possible cooling issues to the truck.

Thoughts?

It would kind of look like this

cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
Yeah that's about what I've came up with, I just thought the weight for the TT would be too much, and the down side of the front of the tow vehicle (from what I've read) is blocking the headlights and possible cooling issues to the truck.

Thoughts?

It would kind of look like this

That is exactly what I have... hitch to the front of the truck.

Years ago, on a different TT I owned, I had a hitch shop weld a class III hitch to the rear of the TT. Trouble is,... the bike takes a beating back there from being bounced around. It's the bounciest part of the setup and I was scared to death every time I traveled that the bike would shake loose.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	14770  
__________________
Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Tinner12002
Senior Member
 
Tinner12002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,068
The only way I would attempt putting one on the rear of your TT would be to get the Idaho tote dolly that if installed correctly actually becomes part of your RV and isn't considered double towing. I think it can be removed by pulling some pins.
__________________
2015 Ram,3500,Dually,B&W,4.10s,Aisin,Limited,Silver
2018 Raptor,428SP w/full body paint
2012 Harley, Ultra Limited
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #10
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
That is exactly what I have... hitch to the front of the truck.

Years ago, on a different TT I owned, I had a hitch shop weld a class III hitch to the rear of the TT. Trouble is,... the bike takes a beating back there from being bounced around. It's the bounciest part of the setup and I was scared to death every time I traveled that the bike would shake loose.

Lee
Thanks Lee, is that a bolt on or is it welded up? If I do this that's really my only option, short of getting a toy hauler (that's a no). Do you have any headlight or cooling issues with your truck??

It looks like the Curt 31018 is a bolt on and it specs at 5000lbs? That sounds like a lot, I just emailed them to ask more
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 334
Hi,

I had the Class III receiver installed to the front of the truck by a Hitch shop. It is welded and bolted to the frame rails.

Because my truck sits so high off the ground I welded up a 12" drop shank that goes into the receiver, then the motorcycle hauler slides into this and is crossed pinned like any other hitch. The drop shank I welded up also has another advantage as it moved the bike out 12" from the front of the truck. This aides air flow and also allows me to get between the bike and truck to pop the hood.

The bike does interfere with the headlight's beam some.

As for cooling issues, I have not experienced any. I have the largest 4 core radiator made that will fit my truck called a "Super-cool". Granted here in the Great North-Wet it doesn't get as hot as Arizona, but I do regularly cross a 6000ft mountain Pass while towing my TT with the bike on the front without issue.

The only downside I can see with having the bike mounted up front is that the bike gets covered in bugs.

Take care,
__________________
Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
SummitPond
Senior Member
 
SummitPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northeast Florida/Southeast Maine
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
Iím trying to figure this out and Iím looking for opinions, I have a 2012 Hideout towed with a 2017 F-250 Diesel. ...
I have a 2012 F250. I bought a hitch receiver from Amazon - the bolt holes are already in the frame. I don't sling a bike, I use it to push the trailer into sites versus backing in. It was an easy install. The link giving part number is here.
__________________

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #13
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
I have a 2012 F250. I bought a hitch receiver from Amazon - the bolt holes are already in the frame. I don't sling a bike, I use it to push the trailer into sites versus backing in. It was an easy install. The link giving part number is here.
I'll have to look for those holes, I looked last night, but perhaps not close enough. I really appreciate your input.
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
SummitPond
Senior Member
 
SummitPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northeast Florida/Southeast Maine
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I'll have to look for those holes, ... I really appreciate your input.
Your are welcome. That's the beauty (and a major purpose) of this forum.

If it's not pouring buckets tomorrow, I'll crawl under the truck and take a few photos and post them.

I paid something like $177 delivered, but I have seen lower prices since then.
__________________

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #15
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
As an update, I talked to a few places for installs yesterday and most were the bolt on type single post. However, I did find a really good fabricator yesterday and spoke with him in person and he's going to build a dual post carrier and dual receivers for me at a very good price. I'm still going to kick the idea around for the next few weeks and if I decide to pull the trigger I will in January (after xmas).

I'm also going to leave my bike with him and he will make it to give me the most headlight visibility through my fenders.
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #16
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,429
I had a heavy duty bumper with a receiver welded on the back of our 5th. I've carried 2 bicycles on it. You could click on my avatar and find the post, including pics.
I also installed a Curt front receiver on the Ram. It's a Curt that I bought through Amazon at a good discount to the Curt MSRP. No holes to drill. I did have to cut a square out of the plastic chin spoiler with a Dremel tool. I carry a bicycle on it when I use the cabover.
Here is a link to Curts' receivers. Not sure if it's your specific model. 500# tongue capacity.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/31078
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #17
cpt_majestic
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I had a heavy duty bumper with a receiver welded on the back of our 5th. I've carried 2 bicycles on it. You could click on my avatar and find the post, including pics.
I also installed a Curt front receiver on the Ram. It's a Curt that I bought through Amazon at a good discount to the Curt MSRP. No holes to drill. I did have to cut a square out of the plastic chin spoiler with a Dremel tool. I carry a bicycle on it when I use the cabover.
Here is a link to Curts' receivers. Not sure if it's your specific model. 500# tongue capacity.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/31078
What did you put on the front receiver? Weight wise
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #18
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,429
One light Specialized "cross" bike. I do have an aluminum cargo carrier that I may use as well.
I would prefer it was a Honda dual sport 200, but I'm outvoted by my wife and my neurosurgeon.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
SummitPond
Senior Member
 
SummitPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northeast Florida/Southeast Maine
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
If it's not pouring buckets tomorrow, I'll crawl under the truck and take a few photos and post them.
Captain Majestic: Unfortunately the rain came and is still with us. I'll get the photos when things dry out. Here is the link for the installation for my truck. I suspect yours is similar.
__________________

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #20
madmaxmutt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 409
A solution is purely up to you, but I have seen lots of different configurations. Many of them are depicted here: http://bfy.tw/FTSH
__________________

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×