Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
LeeMedic

Exclamation We Crashed our Sprinter and Learned a Lesson

We are northbound from Ocala, Fl on I-75 traveling 60 mph on the right lane of a 3 lane interstate when two LARGE rigs, a Semi and a Class A Diesel Camper at high speeds passed us on a curve.

The force of these two passing us one right after another started an uncontrolled sway that was not recoverable by my wife who was driving. In fear she hit the brakes, and the trailer passed us on the right causing us to spin 180 degrees and now facing oncoming traffic. Our beautiful Keystone Sprinter rolled onto the entrance side. We came to rest, unharmed, just shaken up.

What did we learned? I have towed this RV for 2 years now, and was able to control the sway with an EAZ distribution hitch and friction sway bar that was installed at Camping World.

Determined that this accident will not get us down, I started a search for a better anti-sway system and I think I found it. It was a toss up between a ProPride P3 or a Hensley.

I watched videos on both of these systems and was quiet impressed. A new Hensley Arrow goes for about $3200. That right. $3200. www.hensleymfg.com http://www.propridehitch.com/

I called and spoke with a sales person, and made my choice. I purchased a Refurbished Hensley Arrow for $2200. It comes with a lifetime warrantee. You can purchased one for $1900 that come with a 3 year warrantee.

I just want to pass long my experience to all of my fellow campers out there. There is NOTHING like having the BEST safety equipment that will protect your investment, but more importantly the safety of you and your family.

I have already found a replacement Sprinter in Picyune, Mississippi and will be picking it up next week.

Guys be safe towing out there, and take a good look at your setup. I will give you more feedback whenever I get my new Sprinter and Hensley on the road.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for sharing this with us ---- best part of the story is that you and your wife got through it all unharmed. We are looking forward to seeing you back on the road again - some people might well have said...."No more!" Good on ya for wanting to get back out there!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
jq1031

Sorry for your terrible experience, that must have shaken you to the core. Having said that I must speak my mind & I'm not critizing your ordeal. These situations are accidents waiting to happen when you tow with a 1/2 ton truck. Your TT looks like it was a good size, 30ft or better. A Hensley will almost always prevent the sway but a light truck towing a TT like that always puts you in jeopardy on the Interestate Highways. Like senior member Hank Page says, just my $$2cents.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
kenn209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
Sorry for your terrible experience, that must have shaken you to the core. Having said that I must speak my mind & I'm not critizing your ordeal. These situations are accidents waiting to happen when you tow with a 1/2 ton truck. Your TT looks like it was a good size, 30ft or better. A Hensley will almost always prevent the sway but a light truck towing a TT like that always puts you in jeopardy on the Interestate Highways. Like senior member Hank Page says, just my $$2cents.
They were towing with an Ford Excursion, which the curb weight is almost as much as my 3/4 ton Ram.

Glad everyone is ok. This was probably very scary situation for the driver.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
LeeMedic

Quote:
The Ford Excursion is on a F250 Chasis and I have a 7.3 Diesel. The max tow weight is 10,000.

When the trailer spun us around, that TANK of a vehicle stayed on all fours. A Ford Excursion by weight is actually heavier than a F250 pickup truck.

Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
They were towing with an Ford Excursion, which the curb weight is almost as much as my 3/4 ton Ram.

Glad everyone is ok. This was probably very scary situation for the driver.
Like I said, just my $2cents!!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
LeeMedic

Quote:
Like I said, just my $2cents!!
Joe I see we are almost neighbors. I live in Lee County.

Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
KenBob

Glad no one was hurt.

I would like to know what the best way to handle that situation? I am sure there are those who would like to add some driving knowledge before they have the same situation happen to them.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Sorry to hear about your experiences. It's frightening to have something like that happen, and many "lesser" RV'ers would call it quits. I think, like you probably did, that your Excursion, the hitch set-up and your trailer were a great match. And, they probably were under almost all conditions, but you found the one unfortunate condition that caused your accident. The Hensley may be "overkill" for almost all towing conditions with your rig, but it will surely help prevent even more potentials than your old rig... Good luck with the new rig, I assume you're keeping the Excursion, it's a great tow vehicle. In 1999 we bought a superduty and put a cap on it to try to get what Ford started selling a few months later, called the Excursion. I'd have had one then if I wasn't upside-down on a new diesel superduty.

I also see you're military retired, I am also, USAF, but don't hold that against me LOL

Hope to see you on the road somewhere, best of luck to you !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
jq1031

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
Joe I see we are almost neighbors. I live in Lee County.
Yes Lee, I'm in Venice (Sarasota County). We're leaving Sunday AM for a long trip with the RV, going north for about 10 weeks. You're experience is a wake up for all of us, like you, I believe that traveling safe is #one priority. Glad you're back on the road again & survived that incident.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Me.Bikes.Dogs

I'm glad to see the dog was okay! I had that happen with a motorcycle trailer once but thankfully it didn't have the same result. It definitely gets your attention!
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

I had a similar incident when I was driving for a living. A freak straight line wind picked up my trailer and it started to pass me. Instead of braking I accelerated and almost got it straightened out two times. It finally spun me around facing the wrong way on a three lane Interstate at rush hour. Didn't hit a thing, not a scratch on me but facing south on a northbound interstate. So in defense of your wife's driving skills ..... If the tail really wants to wag the dog and conditions are right ..... It's going to happen.
Thank God no one was injured .... metal can be replaced ..... travel safely with your new trailer. I have heard good things about the Hensley hitch and wish you good luck, Hank ( It's tough getting back on that horse)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Ron

Brake Control

One way to straighten out a swaying trailer either due to wind, ice, passing vehicel etc. and trailer tires are on the ground is to reach down and manually lock up the trailer brakes on the controller, it will what i call (jerk you straight) have had to do this several times with large and small trailers in tow in defferent situations. works for me .............ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #14
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
One way to straighten out a swaying trailer either due to wind, ice, passing vehicel etc. and trailer tires are on the ground is to reach down and manually lock up the trailer brakes on the controller, it will what i call (jerk you straight) have had to do this several times with large and small trailers in tow in defferent situations. works for me .............ron
Good thought. I thought of that AFTER it was over. Had I been thinking, while my wife battled the steering wheel I could of activated the trailer brakes.

It all happens so fast yet so slow.

Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
Good thought. I thought of that AFTER it was over. Had I been thinking, while my wife battled the steering wheel I could of activated the trailer brakes.

It all happens so fast yet so slow.
That was my thought as well. I had a trailer fishtale on me coming down a hill. Managed to get it all stopped upright, but I never thought to use the trailer brakes. Since then I've tried it a couple times just to be used to using the control, but it sure isn't the first thought when it starts to happen.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
mrxlh

Glad you 2 made it out ok. Accelerating and or use of the trailer brakes only are the only 2 ways to come out of a sway. However the underlying cause of sway is 99% of the time inadaquate tounge/pin weight. The weight police on most boards can be intimidating, however, loading you trailer and properly weighing it and adjusting to achieve the correct tounge/pin weight costs around $20 and will be the best $20 you ever spent. Your TV was more than adaquate for the rig you were towing, your tounge/pin weight was probably not correct.

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
mrxlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
antiqfreq

Glad to hear everyone is alright.

I, too, would think your set up was more than adequate. What wasn't sufficient was the circumstances and you couldn't control those.

Enjoy your new camper and don't let this experience weigh you down!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Like nearly everyone else who has replied, I always thought that applying the trailer brakes would (will) bring the trailer back into line behind the TV. I've done it thousands of times when an 18 wheeler passes on the interstate and when windy conditions cause the trailer to buffett behind the TV. And, with conventional vehicles, I think it's still a valid maneuver to use to help control sway.

BUT: with newer vehicles with anti skid braking control and electronic stability control, using the trailer brakes (especially in Ford vehicles) with an integrated brake controller may not be the wisest maneuver. In fact, the following is a direct cut and paste from the 2011 Ford F150 Owner's Manual:

"• The sliding lever on the TBC should be used only for manual
activation of trailer brakes to assist with proper adjustment of the
GAIN. Misuse, such as application during trailer sway, could cause
instability of trailer and/or tow vehicle
."

I don't think that the OP's Excursion has the IBC, so for this situation it's a mute point, but for others with newer TV's with greater "dependance" on electronics, before devising the plan to use the manual lever to control sway, double check your owner's manual, you might be suprised at what you find.

I know there will be some who argue that it's still the smartest thing to do and I've found myself reaching for the manual lever more times than not, but I'm not sure it's a good habit to bring forward from older tow vehicles.

Just my thoughts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #19
chuck&gail

Glad no one was hurt, that is the important bit!!!!
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Glad you 2 made it out ok. Accelerating and or use of the trailer brakes only are the only 2 ways to come out of a sway. However the underlying cause of sway is 99% of the time inadaquate tounge/pin weight. The weight police on most boards can be intimidating, however, loading you trailer and properly weighing it and adjusting to achieve the correct tounge/pin weight costs around $20 and will be the best $20 you ever spent. Your TV was more than adaquate for the rig you were towing, your tounge/pin weight was probably not correct.
I had considered the tongue weight, but did not know there was a method of checking the weight. So where do you get a tongue weight scale for $20?

Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army