Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
smpremier

Ceiling wood strips loosening on a bullet 26rbpr

I bought my 2017 26rbpr in june of 2016 and not even a year old and I have 3 of the wooden ceiling strips that go from one side to the other have loosened from their laughable nails(if you want to call'em that)and are hanging down. Has anybody else had this problem and does anybody have any suggestions on how I could fix this? I think they have a metal strip above these strips that are above the ceiling panels. Thanks
smpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
slow

Ceiling wood strips loosening on a bullet 26rbpr

I ran into the same issue. Mine were separating near the light fixtures and at one point prevented the door from being opened. Our TT has over 25k miles over some rough roads, so it was not unexpected.

Like yours, my trusses above the ceiling trim are galvanized sheet metal. I debated whether to re- brad nail or to use screws. I ended up going to screws and did the modification last spring.

I painted stainless steel #6 Truss Head sheet metal screws (NOT the typical pan head at HD, to get a low head profile) using an etching primer and top coating with a white enamel.

In preparation for installing the painted screws, I marked and drilled holes the diameter of my awl in seven evenly spaced locations in a wood template the same width and length of the ceiling trim. I then used the template to mark all my ceiling trim. On ceiling trim where I could not use the full length template, I left them to be marked last. These were marked after cutting the template to a shorter length to avoid the obstruction, but still using the TT walls as a reference to ensure all the holes were along the same straight "sight lines".

I drilled a small pilot hole at each location before installing and removing a sacrificial unpainted truss head screws. This way I was able to start the treads in the ceiling trim and sheet metal truss without damaging the painted screws.

After removing the sacrificial screw, I installed a painted screw while ensuring I was holding the ceiling trim tight against the truss.

I do not have a picture of the result, but I can say that you would have to study the ceiling to notice that the screws were used to support the trim.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Common issue. Fix above is a very good idea. When it's a customers unit, I have no choice but to re nail it in place. Good air pressure and pressing the brad nailer tight helps set the brad through the truss.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
theeyres

I used pure silicone to glue the strips and it worked great. I used blue tape and, in places, braces to push the strips tight while the glue set and nothing has come loose and there are no screw heads or nails to show.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
smpremier

These are all great suggestions. What I might try to do is, try the silicone to glue the strips up and if that doesn't work I'll screw them up. What type of pure silicone did you use?
smpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpremier View Post
These are all great suggestions. What I might try to do is, try the silicone to glue the strips up and if that doesn't work I'll screw them up. What type of pure silicone did you use?
No particular brand...just whatever I found at the hardware store. This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-12045-.../dp/B001005TX2 Another thing I've used is E-6000 also found at hardware stores or craft stores.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:53 AM   #7
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpremier View Post
Try a product called "No More Nails". It comes in clear. Have used it and works as advertised. Available at all hardware stores.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:06 AM   #8
Double b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Try a product called "No More Nails". It comes in clear. Have used it and works as advertised. Available at all hardware stores.
x2, used the same and it has held in place for over 3000 miles.
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet