Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
cbrhunter

RV cover question

Hi folks, I have a 2015 Passport 2920 which is 32'. This past fall I ordered an Adco Tyvek cover for the camper. Being in Colorado with the tough winter weather and descent altitude I thought it would make sense. The sizing chart for Adco put us pretty much right right on the cusp between the two sizes:

28'7" - 31'6"

or

31'7" - 34'

Everything I read online said to go with the larger size, so I did. We put the cover on in November and followed the directions. There seemed to be a LOT of extra material so we did the best job we could securing the covering and synching it down. I just got a call from the person whose property we stored the camper on and the cover was shredded. We've had some pretty nasty wind and snow storms over the last few weeks and we believe that is what did the damage. I checked the Adco site and the warranty of course explicitly calls out that they do not cover wind related damage to their covers.

Anyway, my question to the folks on the board is does anyone have a 32' rv with a cover? if so what brand and size have you gone with and has it worked out for you? any info, experience, or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Feeling really frustrated after dropping the amount of money we did on the Adco.

Edit: The RV is just fine thankfully, no damage from this incident. 3 other RVs parked near ours that were covered and their covers were fine, no damage.

Thanks!
Mitch
cbrhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

My concern would not be with the cover condition but the trailer. The Adco cover I had for my previous trailer has been sitting on a shelf in my shed for over ten years. We had a bad wind storm and the cover started to rip in two places. I removed it and the edges of the rubber roof were almost worn through. I repaired the roof and stored the cover. Never to see daylight again. It would fit my current trailer but not worth the hassle or risk.

Long story short ..... I am not a big fan of covers in windy areas. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When we bought our Springdale in 2009, I bought a cover from CW and brought them home "together". The first winter we covered the trailer parked next to our garage. In the spring, when we attempted an early departure to warmer places, we found that the cover was frozen to the trailer roof and we could not get it off the trailer. We had to delay our departure until the ice melted from the trailer roof. When we finally did get it removed, there was damage to all of the "drip moldings", damage to the roof itself (TPO) and damage to the air conditioner shroud. That was the last time the cover was used and, like hankpage, it's sitting in the garage on a shelf, "probably dry-rotting".

From that first winter, we simply decided to find "indoor storage" for our travel trailer. The first several years we rented space in an old manufacturing plant about 30 miles away. Cost was about $250 per winter. In 2013 we built a second "dedicated" pole barn on our property with the specific purpose of storing the fifth wheel during the winter and the snowmobiles/trailer during the summer. There's room for the 4 wheelers, the tractor and our boat as well, so it's a win-win-win to have covered and protected storage for our equipment and the trailer immediately available.

If I had to consider a "cloth cover" again, I'd elect to just leave the trailer sitting outside without a cover given my experiences with damage and limitations on ability to use the trailer during the winter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
66joej

^^^ Agree. They don't cover the many RVs on dealers lots that never get covered and seem to survive the harsh winters we have here in Canada and the northern States. Some sit for a few years out in the elements. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
Steve S

I bought the top of the line cover ($700.00) for my last trailer and I'll never buy one again. In the winter if there's a good blast of sunshine they sweat on the inside. With all the trees here the cover turns green and it's near impossible to clean it. A little bit of wind is all that it takes to rip a corner of them.
I look at it this way now. Do RV lots cover every trailer with a cover? Do car lots put covers on their cars in the winter? I now think that it's a waste of money.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
agargano98

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrhunter View Post
Hi folks, I have a 2015 Passport 2920 which is 32'. This past fall I ordered an Adco Tyvek cover for the camper. Being in Colorado with the tough winter weather and descent altitude I thought it would make sense. The sizing chart for Adco put us pretty much right right on the cusp between the two sizes:

28'7" - 31'6"

or

31'7" - 34'

Everything I read online said to go with the larger size, so I did. We put the cover on in November and followed the directions. There seemed to be a LOT of extra material so we did the best job we could securing the covering and synching it down. I just got a call from the person whose property we stored the camper on and the cover was shredded. We've had some pretty nasty wind and snow storms over the last few weeks and we believe that is what did the damage. I checked the Adco site and the warranty of course explicitly calls out that they do not cover wind related damage to their covers.

Anyway, my question to the folks on the board is does anyone have a 32' rv with a cover? if so what brand and size have you gone with and has it worked out for you? any info, experience, or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Feeling really frustrated after dropping the amount of money we did on the Adco.

Edit: The RV is just fine thankfully, no damage from this incident. 3 other RVs parked near ours that were covered and their covers were fine, no damage.

Thanks!
Mitch
32' is your bumper to hitch measurement. When ordering your cover you need to buy based on the box measurement, which by your model will probably be 29'. I have the 3320, my listed length is 37'-10" but the actual body is only 33'. I just ordered the perma pro cover with a lifetime warranty. Got it off campingworld.com for $360 on sale from $560. We will see how it does.
agargano98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
theeyres

We lived in Eastern OR where I often had to push snow off the roof and had very harsh winters. We now live in Southern AZ with hot, hot, hot. We have had many RVs over the years and I have yet to see any weather related damage from not covering the RV. I've heard of far more damage from covers. So don't plan to get one and just don't see the need for one.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:20 AM   #8
jkohler70

The worst thing for an RV is UV from the sun. UV is lowest in the winter, so covering during that time of the year makes no sense to me. I'd have to cover in the summer when I want to be using it.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
cbrhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agargano98 View Post
32' is your bumper to hitch measurement. When ordering your cover you need to buy based on the box measurement, which by your model will probably be 29'. I have the 3320, my listed length is 37'-10" but the actual body is only 33'. I just ordered the perma pro cover with a lifetime warranty. Got it off campingworld.com for $360 on sale from $560. We will see how it does.
Thanks, I swear that was my box length when I measured and then ordered but the camper is still in storage so I can't double check right now. Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
cbrhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
The worst thing for an RV is UV from the sun. UV is lowest in the winter, so covering during that time of the year makes no sense to me. I'd have to cover in the summer when I want to be using it.
At nearly 7,000 foot in elevation UV is dangerous here all the time, regardless of time of year.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #11
bill-e

I bought a cover on Amazon, ADCO I think . My Box measures 28' so I purchased the 26-28' cover. Goes on and off easy, fits snug and has done a great job for 2 seasons now...just pulled it off.

Used a good fitting cover on my last camper for 8 years, worked great. Where I live an uncovered trailer gets very dirty over the fall/winter so I would not be without one.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...6&postcount=18

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover