Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #41
CWtheMan

For a long time I never used references in my posts. The percentage of readers calling my posts BS started to rise, so I started using references. Now it seems my references are viewed as BS.

The Dexter Axle reference in my post #23 is fact based. The vast majority of trailer wheels are lug centric unless specifically described otherwise.

To properly balance lug centric wheels a special adapter is required.

There are options but as you can see in my reference in post #36, they can be expensive.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #42
66joej

[QUOTE=CWtheMan;227993]For a long time I never used references in my posts. The percentage of readers calling my posts BS started to rise, so I started using references. Now it seems my references are viewed as BS.

I am one member who absolutely does not think any of your posts are BS. In fact if I have a tire or tire related question you would be my first "go to guy". Enjoy reading your responses.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
For a long time I never used references in my posts. The percentage of readers calling my posts BS started to rise, so I started using references. Now it seems my references are viewed as BS.

The Dexter Axle reference in my post #23 is fact based. The vast majority of trailer wheels are lug centric unless specifically described otherwise.

There are options but as you can see in my reference in post #36, they can be expensive.
Continue on CW. Your posts/references are valued and appreciated. Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #44
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Continue on CW. Your posts/references are valued and appreciated. Thanks.

I agree, Don't stop what your doing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #45
gearhead

CW you're the SME (Subject Matter Expert) on all things tires. Please don't go anywhere.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #46
canesfan

CW, not sure where this thread got so off track, but it did, but I for one value your posts. Maybe I shouldn't have relayed what the Carlise rep told me, but I thought it "might" be helpful information since there was a lot of questions about wheels and balancing and so forth.

As for balancing, I always get mine balanced when I get new tires. I had no thoughts of using the "bean bags" or other methods, I just threw it out there because it was something I had not heard about before. If a tire shop refused to balance my tires, I would certainly take my business elsewhere. But to each their own if they don't want them balanced. Just like if they chose to drive 75 with 65 mph rated tires.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #47
canesfan

Quote:

That is exactly what the tire shop I have chosen told me when I asked. One other didn't know what I was talking about when I asked, and another had to go ask and came back and said he thought they could.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #48
CWtheMan

Generally speaking, tire balancing is a product of the tire industry.

In the 2016 generic Keystone owner manual, balancing is only mentioned one time and that is on page #18 in reference to tire cupping condition.

With today’s technological advances, tires are leaving the plants very close to a balanced condition. Colored mounting dots when mounted on rims with alignment dimples can produce fitments not requiring any balancing. Adding some sort of device on the valve stem to monitor tire pressures and temperatures could/may cause the wheel tire assembly to become unbalanced.

I don’t usually get into lengthy discussions about tire balancing because some trailer tire manufacturers do not require it. However, a lot of trailer owners don’t know that trailer tire balancing is different than their car, pick-up truck, etc. etc. Tire retailers that do not do trailer tires may not know either and if they do they may not have the required adapters to properly perform trailer tire balancing.

Here is a picture of a trailer tire with balancing dots. The use of the dot colors and their positions vary from manufacture to manufacturer. This one is obviously lining up the yellow dot with the valve stem. I looked at other units with the same tires and all were done like this one.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27423

The tire looks low, you never know about tires maintained by dealers.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #49
66joej

CWtheMan: What are your thoughts on airing up new trailer tires with nitrogen? Thanks

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Straight from the manufacturer of Sendel ...
Are the T03 wheels balanced using the a center balance or lug center balancer?

Hello Marshall,

Thanks for your note.
If you were to balance a T03 trailer wheel; it would be best to balance it from the lug holes.

Thanks,

Kelly Austin
Tireco (Sendel and Forte wheels)
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #51
dcg9381

Quote:
With today’s technological advances, tires are leaving the plants very close to a balanced condition. Colored mounting dots when mounted on rims with alignment dimples can produce fitments not requiring any balancing. Adding some sort of device on the valve stem to monitor tire pressures and temperatures could/may cause the wheel tire assembly to become unbalanced.

Manual or not, take a 235/80 or 235/85 tire, allign it with the wheel properly, see how many of those don't take a significant amount of weight. Especially when they are mounting a $75 tire.

My opinion is that they don't balance them because you can't feel what's going on back there from the cab. If we could feel it, it'd be a different story. I replaced my factory tires and had the new ones balanced right out of the gate. Less vibration means less to go wrong back there on the inside... At least that's my unproven theory based on absolutely nothing...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #52
Drydays

Balance or not

I think this has been a well balanced page, so for now on to the wate systems we are letting turn green sitting in storage..
Nuther subject.
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #53
CWtheMan

[QUOTE=66joej;227998]
Quote:

I am one member who absolutely does not think any of your posts are BS. In fact if I have a tire or tire related question you would be my first "go to guy". Enjoy reading your responses.
I think it's beneficial maybe even necessary depending on what the tires are used for. I was an aircraft mechanic for 41 years. All of our aircraft tires and support equipment tires were serviced with 100% oil pumped nitrogen.

My family, father and two brothers, built and raced cars. Their tires were serviced with 100% nitrogen as are all NASCAR racing cars.

Is 100% nitrogen beneficial for all tires? IMO it depends on availability. Without availability it's a waste of time and money.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #54
66joej

CWtheMan: Thanks for the response. New tires are going on the TT this summer and I will have them filled with Nitrogen. Being an old mechanic I know that anything you can do to help keep tires from heat and expansion is worth the effort. NASCAR boys figured this out a long time ago. JMO

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #55
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Interesting concept BUT I wonder how these are maintained by customers. I do not recall one person that had nitrogen filled tires and I asked about topping them off, did they responded with nitrogen. After the deer in head light expression, plain old air
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #56
JRTJH
Site Team

Speaking of nitrogen in tires, that reminds me that my truck tires need the winter air exchanged for spring/summer air. It's only 80% nitrogen, but .....

As for the trailer tires, they still have last year's "summer air" so I'm guessing they are good to go and if they do need to be "topped off" I'll just add some of the left over "spring/summer truck air".....

The above statement is definitely said, "tongue in cheek", and while I wouldn't begin to criticize anyone who decides to use nitrogen in trailer tires (Jayco advertised that they use nitrogen in ALL their trailers), for me, the 80% stuff has worked well for 50 years and I've yet to find a campground with nitrogen, so the first time I check tire pressure on the road and need to add to any tire, I've defeated the purpose, or "messed up the pure nitrogen" or worst case: committed to tow with low air pressure to the nearest nitrogen source....

Maybe I'm not seeing the "whole picture, but I just don't see it as such a "big deal"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #57
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Nitrogen filled tires: biggest scam ever!

I see it as a solution looking for a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #58
66joej

PARAPTOR & JRJTH: Points well taken. Guess I was just thinking out loud. Did not know Jayco offered this.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 03-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #59
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Nitrogen filled tires: biggest scam ever!

I see it as a solution looking for a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. I wouldn't tell Chad Knaus that.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 03-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #60
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Speaking of nitrogen in tires, that reminds me that my truck tires need the winter air exchanged for spring/summer air. It's only 80% nitrogen, but .....

As for the trailer tires, they still have last year's "summer air" so I'm guessing they are good to go and if they do need to be "topped off" I'll just add some of the left over "spring/summer truck air".....

The above statement is definitely said, "tongue in cheek", and while I wouldn't begin to criticize anyone who decides to use nitrogen in trailer tires (Jayco advertised that they use nitrogen in ALL their trailers), for me, the 80% stuff has worked well for 50 years and I've yet to find a campground with nitrogen, so the first time I check tire pressure on the road and need to add to any tire, I've defeated the purpose, or "messed up the pure nitrogen" or worst case: committed to tow with low air pressure to the nearest nitrogen source....

Maybe I'm not seeing the "whole picture, but I just don't see it as such a "big deal"

I guess I don't see the whole picture either. I think various items have been posted here and other places more or less debunking the supposed benefits of nitrogen in a tire. There may be some tiny benefit but none that outweigh the inconvenience of having it in the first place.

My last 4 vehicles came with nitrogen filled tires. The first time I aired down the 80psi to 65 on my truck and then aired back up to 80 with my compressor I defeated any benefit of the nitrogen. What is my alternative? Make an appt. at the dealer and wait to run in and have them filled? I think not. And, what do I have 4 compressors for if I don't air up the tires on all my vehicles? Nah, regular air hasn't given me a problem in over 50 years as well so I think I'll have to stick with it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote