Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
dc1300
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Posts: 7
Titan XD w/Cummins

My old truck was a 2015 Nissan Titan-flat ground and no wind the truck did fine. Any hill or head wind was another story. Waited for all the mark downs, and pulled the trigger on this one. So far, I'm really impressed. Doesn't feel anything like the previous Titan. The truck sits high, stiff and different going from a gas to a diesel.

Have a trip planned to the Grand Canyon next year with many stops, so I'm excited to pull our TT with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XD.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	11446  
__________________
2016 Nissan Titan XD PRO-4X (5.0 Cummins)
2016 Bullet 230 BHS
dc1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
nellie1289
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 639
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Congrats. Great looking ride. I loved the concept of the Cummins in the titan and maybe someday the tundra. I just can't get over how the cost was equal to a ram with a 6.7 -and the lower payload but you have one fine vehicle. I'm sure it will pull like a Cummins !
__________________
2014 Ram 3500 Cummins, Limited, Longbed, CC. Every option but the Aisin. Airbags.
The Toy Trifecta:
2021 Keystone Montana 3854BR all options +Onan
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 25,251
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

My son in law bought a new diesel Titan a couple of months ago. I was really impressed with the build, the ride and especially the diesel. It's nothing like the "old Titan's" that I've seen and although he hasn't yet towed, I'm expecting he'll be very satisfied with his new truck. Hopefully you will be as well. Keep us posted as you get more experience with your new truck.... Congratulations !!!
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
dc1300
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Posts: 7
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

True, the cost was high, but the MSRP was 54k, 13k off from the dealer, 33k for mine so it wasn't a hard decision.

Reading through the owners manual, if I read it right, it says to start pulling immediately to break in the engine. If you don't pull and just drive it, the break in will take longer and you may see decrease power and mpg. Seems odd I guess.
__________________
2016 Nissan Titan XD PRO-4X (5.0 Cummins)
2016 Bullet 230 BHS
dc1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:39 AM   #5
BirchyBoy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 798
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Congrats and enjoy!
__________________
Current:
'17 Winnebago Vista 31BE / Wife, pesky Eski and loco Toto dog
Former:
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
CWSWine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 308
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

What are the payloads on them? I wish they would come up with 1 ton with payload of 3700 or more and give the big three a run for the money.
__________________
Current
2017 Fleetwood Discovery 40D Class A Diesel Pusher
Past
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 16,218
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
What are the payloads on them? I wish they would come up with 1 ton with payload of 3700 or more and give the big three a run for the money.

I'm with you. Hopefully the Japanese will start building a more robust truck so that the payloads can increase.....and maybe put an even larger diesel in them!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
nellie1289
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 639
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1300 View Post
True, the cost was high, but the MSRP was 54k, 13k off from the dealer, 33k for mine so it wasn't a hard decision.

Reading through the owners manual, if I read it right, it says to start pulling immediately to break in the engine. If you don't pull and just drive it, the break in will take longer and you may see decrease power and mpg. Seems odd I guess.
All the Cummins manuals say this. In the ram it says don't tow for 500 miles so the tranny and other parts and components can break in but then it says tow hard and tow often so as to break in the engine to peak performance in first 10000 miles. My truck got 5400 miles of towing per the electric trailer tracker in the first 10k so I feel like I did my part. Lol
__________________
2014 Ram 3500 Cummins, Limited, Longbed, CC. Every option but the Aisin. Airbags.
The Toy Trifecta:
2021 Keystone Montana 3854BR all options +Onan
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 6,002
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Kia and Hundai will be following suit shortly. Yup Toyota and Nissan too, all fine American names.
__________________
Jim in Memphis, Wife of 51 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2018 Mobile Suites 40RSSA
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
T3/T4 Hybrid
Senior Member
 
T3/T4 Hybrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kannapolis
Posts: 148
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1300 View Post
My old truck was a 2015 Nissan Titan-flat ground and no wind the truck did fine. Any hill or head wind was another story. Waited for all the mark downs, and pulled the trigger on this one. So far, I'm really impressed. Doesn't feel anything like the previous Titan. The truck sits high, stiff and different going from a gas to a diesel.

Have a trip planned to the Grand Canyon next year with many stops, so I'm excited to pull our TT with this.
Your older Titan sounded like my older Hemi Ram. The hills and head wind would kill it! I've been very happy with my new Ram Cummins that I bought last year as an upgrade. I'm sure you will be happy with that new Nissan Cummins combo. The Cummins engines love to work!
__________________
2016 Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB
Traded 2009 VR1 310 BHS
Tow Vehicle: 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab Cummins.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
Barbell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 375
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

The 5.0 liter Cummins V8 in the Titan is a great improvement over the gas powered version. Still it is far from the 6.7 liter engine in the Ram trucks. 360 ft lbs torque vs 900 in the Ram. Depends on what you need to pull.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 25,251
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
The 5.0 liter Cummins V8 in the Titan is a great improvement over the gas powered version. Still it is far from the 6.7 liter engine in the Ram trucks. 360 ft lbs torque vs 900 in the Ram. Depends on what you need to pull.
According to the Nissan website, the Turbo-diesel specs are:

310 HP @ 3200 RPM
555 Torque @ 1600 RPM
http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/titan-xd/versions-specs

While it's not as powerful as the "big 3" diesels, it's no "slouch" either.

Many of the members here have "o-pined" a desire for the "big 3" to reduce the diesel power to a "more reasonable level" and improve fuel economy. Quite a few posts have essentially said that much of the "over the top power" is not used (or needed) by the majority of RV towers. While the Nissan may be at the lower end of the torque range, it's more powerful than the 7.3L Navistar Power Stroke that was in my 99 SuperDuty (235hp @ 2700/500 lb-ft @ 1600 RPM) and significantly more powerful than the 7.3L NA diesel that was in my 93 F250 (185hp @ 3000/358 lb-ft @ 1400 RPM). Both of those "less powerful engines" towed my 10K Holiday Rambler with ease. The only drawback was high altitude towing with the NA diesel. Like all non-turbo engines, gas or diesel, it wasn't the greatest above 7000 ft altitude.

I'm guessing there's going to be a market for the Nissan sized diesel if the payload and truck's reputation give it a "good name".
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 16,218
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
According to the Nissan website, the Turbo-diesel specs are:

310 HP @ 3200 RPM
555 Torque @ 1600 RPM
http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/titan-xd/versions-specs

While it's not as powerful as the "big 3" diesels, it's no "slouch" either.

Many of the members here have "o-pined" a desire for the "big 3" to reduce the diesel power to a "more reasonable level" and improve fuel economy. Quite a few posts have essentially said that much of the "over the top power" is not used (or needed) by the majority of RV towers. While the Nissan may be at the lower end of the torque range, it's more powerful than the 7.3L Navistar Power Stroke that was in my 99 SuperDuty (235hp @ 2700/500 lb-ft @ 1600 RPM) and significantly more powerful than the 7.3L NA diesel that was in my 93 F250 (185hp @ 3000/358 lb-ft @ 1400 RPM). Both of those "less powerful engines" towed my 10K Holiday Rambler with ease. The only drawback was high altitude towing with the NA diesel. Like all non-turbo engines, gas or diesel, it wasn't the greatest above 7000 ft altitude.

I'm guessing there's going to be a market for the Nissan sized diesel if the payload and truck's reputation give it a "good name".
The Nissan has pretty close to what I've always called "the sweet middle" for those that aren't interested in 15-17k trailers. The ideal numbers, to me, for a decent sized trailer would be 450-500 hp and 6-700 ft lbs torque. Somewhere in that range. I wish, but doubt, that the reduced numbers would also include a reduced initial cost but.....

It's great that Nissan came out with this, they just now have to come up with a platform that can support more than a minimal 1/2 ton tow/payload.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
trucker LOU
Senior Member
 
trucker LOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 192
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

The new Cummins/Titan has more horsepower$ torque than the
61 Mack I broke in on driving big rigs. ---Lou---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 16,218
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
The new Cummins/Titan has more horsepower$ torque than the
61 Mack I broke in on driving big rigs. ---Lou---
Wasn't that back in the day when the driver of a car started looking miles ahead for any semi in front of them on hilly roads because they knew they were going to get stuck going 5 mph up the hill?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fruitland
Posts: 3,358
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

I look forward to reading about guys towing with them. It may end up being a choice for me when I want the sell the old 2002 f350. As long as I do not have that need for a big 5er as I did a few years ago. I will make a guess here. It will likely pull my current RV or boat as well or better than the 2002 f350.
__________________
2013 24RKSWE (27ft TT) Cougar 1/2 ton series SOLD 10-2021
2013 Ford F350 4x4 CC 6.7 engine, 8 ft bed, 3.55 rear end, lariat package
Retired from Oregon State Police in 2011 than worked another 9.5 years as a small town traffic cop:
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 16,218
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I look forward to reading about guys towing with them. It may end up being a choice for me when I want the sell the old 2002 f350. As long as I do not have that need for a big 5er as I did a few years ago. I will make a guess here. It will likely pull my current RV or boat as well or better than the 2002 f350.
It very well may be a good fit for you when it's time and I'll bet the performance will be as you suspect. One thing I did see on the Titan trucks while watching some towing comparison tests is that it's brakes got MUCH hotter towing a load downhill than Toyota or the Big 3 (this was noted by the testers). Might be something to watch for.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #18
dc1300
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Posts: 7
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

My TT dry weight is around 4,600 lbs-add gear water and what ever the wife thinks we need, I'd say 5,500-6,000 lbs would be what I would be pulling. Based on my needs, I believe this truck will do great.

Could have looked at 3/4 tons-but that would be way too much truck for what I have.
__________________
2016 Nissan Titan XD PRO-4X (5.0 Cummins)
2016 Bullet 230 BHS
dc1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 512
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

So...

What kind of payload do these trucklettes have with their heavy diesel engines?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
dc1300
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Posts: 7
Re: Titan XD w/Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
So...

What kind of payload do these trucklettes have with their heavy diesel engines?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right around 2,000
__________________
2016 Nissan Titan XD PRO-4X (5.0 Cummins)
2016 Bullet 230 BHS
dc1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.