Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Michelin & Bridgestone have them, they are LT designed. Their maximum load capacity is 3042# at 80 PSI. Michelin builds them in 4 sizes.
Please feel free to correct my statement if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anyone markets a load range D or E "ST" tire with a steel carcass. The only available LR D or E "ST" tires are polyester or nylon sidewall cords. Almost all the "ST" radials have steel TREAD belts and polyester sidewall belts while almost all the "ST" bias ply tires have fabric cords both under the tread and on the sidewall.

If you know of a ST tire (one that's marketed with the ST designation, not an LT tire that can be used in trailer applications) please post the brand, model and a link to the information. I've never see such an animal and wonder if it really exists..... Thanks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #22
66joej

I would also be intersted if this tire is available.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #23
CWtheMan

There are a lot of tire manufacturers building 16” steel cased tires. Some are designed as LT with a load capacity as high as 3750# others are designed as ST in LRG only with a load capacity of 4080#. All 16” LRG designs require a single rim size of 16x6.5” and must be able to support the tire’s load capacity at 110 PSI.

There are at least three major brands (Michelin - Bridgestone - Goodyear) that manufacturer 16” LRE steel cased tires in the LT design. They may be found in four different 16” sizes.

Almost all steel cased tires are regoovable, retreadable or both. They are also almost always high mileage tires, so their tread depth will be tall and their tread and sidewall materials will be much more dense than polyester or nylon designed sidewalls and treads. (You’re going to get a stiffer tire than normal with these designs).

Some of the 16” LT LRG designs are strictly for LT service - such as the Hercules H-901 - and others like the Goodyear G614 (I call it a hybrid tire) were introduced as a “trailer service only” tire with that phrase written right on their sidewalls.

Below are links to pictures I took at a recent RV show. The tire is a Westlake ST235-80R16G. This manufacturer is so serious about the 6.5” rim width, they put it right on the sidewall. Also note it has a “L” speed letter (75 MPH). The ST235/80R16G and ST235/85R16G are both rated at 4080# at 110 PSI. One is a little taller than the other.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29711
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29709

I have not found any tires below 16” in diameter to have a steel carcass design.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks for the clarification. It was (is) my understanding that there are NO manufacturers producing an "all steel" LRD or LRE ST tire for "exclusive trailer use".... Every "all steel" ST tire I've found is LR G. Even the LR F tires are "fabric sidewall cords"....

Seems to me the new TowMax ST II (produced in LRD and LRE sizes) are not steel carcass tires. It looks like they are not much more than an "upgraded version" of the older TowMax ST tires with a "freshened face"....

Seems "boastful" to me that TowMax would "brag" that several trailer manufacturers use the STR II as OEM equipment on their trailers. Heck, all the manufacturers have been using the "cheapest tire available" for years. Up till now, that's been the "previous model TowMax"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #25
CWtheMan

The retailer “Tire Rack” has a full inventory of the TowMax STR II tires. Here is their current description for those tires.

“Special Trailer Service tires are developed specifically for use on travel trailers, pop-up campers, boat trailers and fifth wheel trailers. Power King Towmax STR II tires are designed to deliver dependable and long-lasting, on-highway service for towed trailers.

Special purpose trailer tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.

Towmax STR II tires feature an energy-efficient, lower rolling resistance tread compound to enhance the towing vehicle's fuel economy. This compound is molded into a symmetric tread design featuring a solid center rib, interlocking intermediate ribs and linked shoulder blocks to provide constant rubber-to-road contact to enhance highway stability, traction and wear.

The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts (Load Range D & Load Range E-sized tires are reinforced with a nylon cap ply that further stabilizes the tread to increase durability). The Towmax STR II's rounded profile and polyester cord body are designed to help smooth out the trailer's ride.

Towmax STR II tires have a Service Description that confirms each size earns an L speed rating. Therefore, running the standard cold tire pressure recommended for the trailer and its load requires no additional adjustment in pressure for speeds up to the tire's 75 mph (120 km/h) maximum speed rating.

Special purpose trailer tires are not UTQG rated.”
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote