Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
jq1031

Unhappy Propane Quick Connect on LAREDO

The gas (grill) quick connect installed on my TT is ready to go. The problem is, what fittings including the male end of the quick connect do I need to attach to my Weber Q hose that was formerly used with a propane bottle. This simple thing is becoming a problem as everywhere I look including CW nothing seems to work. Also is the attached female part of the QC 1/4" or 1/2"? Any help or advise appreciated.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Bob Landry

Someone will want to jump in here and talk about the size of commercial and industrial fittings, (it's happened before)so for all interested, this is about RVs. The common sizes used are 1/4" & 3/8".

If you remove the regulator from your Weber grill,(some disassemly required, but it's easy) the size or the male QC fitting is 1/4" with 1/4" NPT threads. Attach it using yellow thread tape.Attach the female part to your hose. You may have to use an additional fitting to mate the female part to your propane hose, but everybody sells brass fittings and you won't have any problem finding what you need. On the trailer end, the gas QC on my Outback is also 1/4". Your's is probably the same. I found the tag on mine that said it was made by Fairview fittings. I Googled and found an on-line dealer that sold those fittings and was able to order just a 1/4" male part to a QC. Another brass fitting adapted it to my grill hose and since my grill hose has the same size male fitting as the hose on the outdoor kitchen, I can use either the outdoor cookstove or the weber grill off of the same QC.(Not at the same time) I tried to find the name of the outfit I ordered the male fitting from, but I couldn't, but Google search will show several. I'll look around again and if I can find it, I'll post it. Hope this helps.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
jq1031

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Someone will want to jump in here and talk about the size of commercial and fittings, (it's happened before)so for all interested, this is about RVs. The common sizes used are 1/4" & 3/8".

If you remove the regulator from your Weber grill,(some disassemly required, but it's easy) the size or the male QC fitting is 1/4" with 1/4" NPT threads. Attach it using yellow thread tape.Attach the female part to your hose. You may have to use an additional fitting to mate the female part to your propane hose, but everybody sells brass fittings and you won't have any problem finding what you need. On the trailer end, the gas QC on my Outback is also 1/4". Your's is probably the same. I found the tag on mine that said it was made by Fairview fittings. I Googled and found an on-line dealer that sold those fittings and was able to order just a 1/4" male part to a QC. Another brass fitting adapted it to my grill hose and since my grill hose has the same size male fitting as the hose on the outdoor kitchen, I can use either the outdoor cookstove or the weber grill off of the same QC.(Not at the same time) I tried to find the name of the outfit I ordered the male fitting from, but I couldn't, but Google search will show several. I'll look around again and if I can find it, I'll post it. Hope this helps.
Thanks Bob, that is definately a big help & good start to resolving this issue!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Here;s the link to where I ordered mine. The shipping was more than the part. This gets your grill propane hose compatible with the QC on your trailer.

http://www.campersdirect.com/keyston...s&ITEM=4500044
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
jq1031

Smile

Quote:
Here;s the link to where I ordered mine. The shipping was more than the part. This gets your grill propane hose compatible with the QC on your trailer.

http://www.campersdirect.com/keyston...s&ITEM=4500044
Thanks again, I found it at another site & like you paid more for the S&H then the part itself, anyways it's on it's way.......joe
Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
rebelfan

I have a fuzion that has a QC on the gas line by the front steps, so I purchased a portable gas grill, but when I went to order a gas hose from Camping World to hook it up they told me it was a low presure line and would not work. I believe this gas line is a regular lp gas line and if I had the correct fitting it would work.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rebelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Too bad CW sales clerks aren't RVers. The fitting by the steps is low pressure. The grill will work on low pressure if you remove the regulator and replace it with a 1/4" QC fitting on the grill and the grill end of the hose. The fitting on the trailer is also 1/4" and your hose can be adaped to work on that with a 1/4" male fitting. All of the info you need is posted above.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
jq1031

Quote:
Too bad CW sales clerks aren't RVers. The fitting by the steps is low pressure. The grill will work on low pressure if you remove the regulator and replace it with a 1/4" QC fitting on the grill and the grill end of the hose. The fitting on the trailer is also 1/4" and your hose can be adaped to work on that with a 1/4" male fitting. All of the info you need is posted above.
QUESTION...so the grill won't work on this RV line UNLESS the regulator is removed?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
JReinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
QUESTION...so the grill won't work on this RV line UNLESS the regulator is removed?
correct, the propane has already gone through a regulator and the pressure has already been dropped down.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
jq1031

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReinhart View Post
correct, the propane has already gone through a regulator and the pressure has already been dropped down.
Now I get it, thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Bob Landry

It's really not a big issue to remove the regulator from the grill.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
jq1031

Quote:
Again thanx...regulator is off & ready to retrofit gas line, not knowing alot about about this pressure stuff, the simple explanation that the gas has already gone through a regular makes it simple!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
jq1031

Question

Quote:
Bob, how did you remove the regulator from the brass fitting that attaches to it & the hose? I removed the regulator from the grill however, it won't come free from the fitting, almost like it's welder or soddered to the end of the fitting. My grill is 4 years old & may be different than yours in this respect!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
Bob, how did you remove the regulator from the gas hose? I removed it from the grill however, it won't come free from the hose, almost like it's welder or soddered to the end of the hose.
Withour seeing a photo of what you are doing, it's hard to determine what you are asking. My Weber grill came with a regulator attached which had the fitting that allowed a screw-on LP bottle to be attached. I unscrewed the regulator and replaced it with the male half of a QC. I don't remember if the new fitting was the correct size or if I had to "adapt" it to the grill heat control. If an adapter is necessary, any hardware store sells fittings that will let you size threads up or down.

My grill did not have a hose attached. If yours did, maybe that's where we are miscommunicating. I already had a hose made up with the correct size QC coupler to mate with the grill. All I had to do was swap the existing male plug on the hose to the size that was on the QC that came installed on the trailer. If you buy a commercially made hose it is either going to have NPT threads or what is know as a swivel flare fitting. Depending on what your hose has on the ends, you may need to "adapt" the ends of the hose to the QC components. If you can post a photo of what you have maybe I can be a little more clear.

My Outback came with an outdoor kitchen with a gas 2 burner stove. It included a gas hose that matched the trailer QC. I only changed my hose to mate with the trailer so that everything was the same size and interchangeable.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
jq1031

Quote:
Withour seeing a photo of what you are doing, it's hard to determine what you are asking. My Weber grill came with a regulator attached which had the fitting that allowed a screw-on LP bottle to be attached. I unscrewed the regulator and replaced it with the male half of a QC. I don't remember if the new fitting was the correct size or if I had to "adapt" it to the grill heat control. If an adapter is necessary, any hardware store sells fittings that will let you size threads up or down.

My grill did not have a hose attached. If yours did, maybe that's where we are miscommunicating. I already had a hose made up with the correct size QC coupler to mate with the grill. All I had to do was swap the existing male plug on the hose to the size that was on the QC that came installed on the trailer. If you buy a commercially made hose it is either going to have NPT threads or what is know as a swivel flare fitting. Depending on what your hose has on the ends, you may need to "adapt" the ends of the hose to the QC components. If you can post a photo of what you have maybe I can be a little more clear.

My Outback came with an outdoor kitchen with a gas 2 burner stove. It included a gas hose that matched the trailer QC. I only changed my hose to mate with the trailer so that everything was the same size and interchangeable.
My grill like yours came with a LP screw on bottle attachment. Years ago I purchased a regular LP hose to attach to an LP tank at CW. I think my main problem is that I"m trying to retrofit THAT hose (after removing the regulator) to a QC & that to the grill. Now I believe the best way to go is buy a hose like you did, attached the QC fittings & I"m in business, as the regulator is already off the grill. Now, where did you purchase the hose & what size is it 1/4" --1/2" ?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
Bob Landry

All hoses are going to be pretty much the same size. The difference is going to be in the type and size of the fittings/connectors on the hose. You will be able to get a hose with the correct size ends to match your components, but you'll need to go to a Propane place that deals in LPgas products. They will be able to put together what you need. Home Depot or Lowe's isn't going to get it. I'll try to get some photos the next time I'm at my trailer.
Not trying to sound condescending, but if you aren't familiar with LP gas systems and fittings, an attempt here to ty to explain all of the different types of fittings and how they connect would run into pages. I'll try to post something for you.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
jq1031

Quote:
All hoses are going to be pretty much the same size. The difference is going to be in the type and size of the fittings/connectors on the hose. You will be able to get a hose with the correct size ends to match your components, but you'll need to go to a Propane place that deals in LPgas products. They will be able to put together what you need. Home Depot or Lowe's isn't going to get it. I'll try to get some photos the next time I'm at my trailer.
Not trying to sound condescending, but if you aren't familiar with LP gas systems and fittings, an attempt here to ty to explain all of the different types of fittings and how they connect would run into pages. I'll try to post something for you.
Thanx again, I'm trying to work through this & see a light at the tunnel
end...a mechanic I'm not & your help is greatly appreciated.....joe