Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #21
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp711 View Post
I usually keep my house battery fully charged at home with a trickle charger. Maybe the way to go is to return the 3100/2800w and buy two 2000w and install a hard start capacitor. I'll need to run pretty much everything in my 30RIPR while I'm tailgating. The tv, refrigerator, AC, second TV, satellite dish, water pump. Maybe I need two 3100's...
Glad to meet another RIPR owner!
We have a 2017 RIPR and had told the dealer three eu2000i had to run the AC.
We live in the great UP and don't travel far so I was prepared to downgrade to a 13500 btu ac if needed. I bought a Supco hard start capacitor but never had the dealer try to install it. I found some info on the micro air easy start, watched​ a few videos, then told the dealer install this and it works we both win. If it don't, I will pay to have it down graded.
It exceeds all my expectations!
With the generator in eco mode it will keep the fridge on and run the AC with no, absolutely! No problem!
Wouldn't have done it different even if I didn't already own the generator.
If you have 2 AC units, then go big. If not micro air awesome.
I can put up a video of you like and do a walk around.
The only reason I would change the set up is to have the AC and some other BIG appliance run at the same time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #22
unyalli

The SPPx does not do squat. There is no comparison to the micro-air.

This video settles any arguments. Micro-air Install and in-rush test.

Here is an independent test.

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #23
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
The SPPx does not do squat. There is no comparison to the micro-air.

This video settles any arguments. Micro-air Install and in-rush test.

Here is an independent test.

- Jeff

The hard start caps do "do squat ", however they are not slow-start devices like the micro-air... so comparing them is silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #24
Bumala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
The disadvantage of using a slow-start is the slow-start costs close the the price of a 2000 watt generator... and only benefits the starting of that one air conditioner. If instead you buy a second 2000 watt generator, you haven't spent much more money but you can run a lot more stuff... including the air conditioner. (Managing loads, I can start and run two air conditioners (with $10 hard start caps) with two 2000 watt generators.)

The slow start doesn't change the running watts of the air conditioner, so you still need generator watts to run other stuff.

I don't know where you can get a 2k generator for $300.00. Mine cost about $500.00. Also it's heavy, and you have to tote it around. All that being said, if it works for you, wonderful. I myself tossed it back and forth between getting more generator ( 3k or using 2X2k), or getting the micro-air. I choose the micro-air because of convenience. I only needed one 2k generator. I'll see how this works for me. I may end up getting the second generator, but right now I don't see the need.
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #25
Bumala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
What AC are you using? Mine draws about 12.5 A when running. Around 1400-1500 watts of power. That's too close to the 1600 watt continuous power on a 2000 watt generator.
I have a 15kw unit. But all of the AC units consume 30 - 40 amps starting the compressor. Most AC units consume about 6 A (700 W) continuous.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #26
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumala View Post
I don't know where you can get a 2k generator for $300.00. Mine cost about $500.00. Also it's heavy, and you have to tote it around. All that being said, if it works for you, wonderful. I myself tossed it back and forth between getting more generator ( 3k or using 2X2k), or getting the micro-air. I choose the micro-air because of convenience. I only needed one 2k generator. I'll see how this works for me. I may end up getting the second generator, but right now I don't see the need.
I second that! The airstream forum has a coupon for 50 off on the Micro-air. And if I had a non Honda or Yamaha generator I would consider 2.
When I started shopping for a new coach I considered a remote start champion. Great idea. But if a 48lb generator that can run 14 hrs @ 25% load on a gallon of gas and I can get parts FOREVER and I already own it.

Micro-start is my hero!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #27
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:

Where did I say you could get one for $300?

Old 06-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #28
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
The disadvantage of using a slow-start is the slow-start costs close the the price of a 2000 watt generator... and only benefits the starting of that one air conditioner. If instead you buy a second 2000 watt generator, you haven't spent much more money but you can run a lot more stuff... including the air conditioner. (Managing loads, I can start and run two air conditioners (with $10 hard start caps) with two 2000 watt generators.)

The slow start doesn't change the running watts of the air conditioner, so you still need generator watts to run other stuff.

Right here Sir.

- Jeff
Old 06-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #29
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Right here Sir.

- Jeff

I said close. Nowhere did I say same.

Reading comprehension?

So, $1,000 gets you two generators and can run anything in your camper (of course not at the same time). If you have more than one air conditioner you can run anyone of them... up to two at a time. You can also run a bunch of other things with one air conditioner running.

But instead, you choose to spend $800 on one generator and a micro-air. If you have more than one air conditioner... too bad, you can only run the one ac you installed the micro-air on. Oh yeah, since the micro-air doesn't change the running watts demand of the air conditioner you can't run much else other than the one ac.

Spend an extra $200 and you get much more.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #30
Bumala

I'm sorry, close is up to interpretation. "reading comprehension?" Come on!
In this game you pays your quarter and you takes your choices. I chose to be able to run my AC off of any electric supply, 15A, 30A, 50A. I chose to use a single generator. Will it work out? Don't know, will have to give it some time.
I have only one AC unit, so the argument is moot.
Lastly, it's not the money, it's the weight and hassle of a second generator. I don't see the need at this time. Later, maybe.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Bumala,

I'm still not clear, in one thread you said you "have" the micro-aire system" and have not yet installed it, in another thread, it "sounds like" you're using the system, but I haven't read the results.

So, is your micro-aire system installed? If so, how does it work for you? and if not yet installed, do you have any timeline for when you'll have the system up and running?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #32
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Installing hard start capacitor on AC

Quote:
I'm sorry, close is up to interpretation. "reading comprehension?" Come on!
In this game you pays your quarter and you takes your choices. I chose to be able to run my AC off of any electric supply, 15A, 30A, 50A. I chose to use a single generator. Will it work out? Don't know, will have to give it some time.
I have only one AC unit, so the argument is moot.
Lastly, it's not the money, it's the weight and hassle of a second generator. I don't see the need at this time. Later, maybe.

I will add...

I have a slow-start setup on my home geothermal (which is a big 6-ton unit). Although it is not a "micro-air", it is the same thing.

Slow-start devices are nothing new but they do work extremely well. It is not a gimmick.

Now... if I could afford 3 of them I would be in perfect shape!

Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #33
Bumala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bumala,

I'm still not clear, in one thread you said you "have" the micro-aire system" and have not yet installed it, in another thread, it "sounds like" you're using the system, but I haven't read the results.

So, is your micro-aire system installed? If so, how does it work for you? and if not yet installed, do you have any timeline for when you'll have the system up and running?
Yes, I installed the unit myself. Ran the 15 kW AC five times so the unit learned the start curve, and then tried it on my generator (a 2kW WEN), and it worked well. You have to run the AC on shore power for five cycles when you first install the micro-air. It then stores the settings. One of the nice things is that it is all automatic, you don't know it's there, and the AC works.

The installation was a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	13010  
Old 09-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #34
Bumala

Followup,
Part way up the road, when we got to Idaho, the micro-air unit failed, so the remainder of the trip to Alaska was without AC. When we got to Alaska, I went through a troubleshooting sequence, and after calling Micro-air determined that the unit was bad. I sent it back, and they found the problem and fixed it without charge. I re-installed it when I got home, and it works with the generator in the driveway, but haven't had to use it real world.
They gave me the option of returning it for a full refund, or having it returned repaired. I chose the latter, because it is the enabling technology for me to use my generator.
Bob.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

That's some good customer service.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #36
gearhead

^^Yes that is good customer service.
I bought 3 of the SUPCO SPP6 capacitors last week. I debated about the SPP6E model but read a Amazon review on it that was pretty negative.
I've got 2 Honda 2000's. My cabover has a 11,000 BTU A/C that I would like to run on one of the Honda's, but no big deal if I need both. The Montana HC has a 15,000 and a 13,500 A/C. It would be nice if I could run both off the 2 Honda's.
When the weather cools a little more I'll install them.
Best I can tell there are no polarity issues on wiring it. I did see where someone wired the capacitor lead with the extra clip to the red wire post on the A/C, but not sure if it makes a difference.
Anyone that has installed a SUPCO care to comment?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #37
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Followup,

Part way up the road, when we got to Idaho, the micro-air unit failed, so the remainder of the trip to Alaska was without AC. When we got to Alaska, I went through a troubleshooting sequence, and after calling Micro-air determined that the unit was bad. I sent it back, and they found the problem and fixed it without charge. I re-installed it when I got home, and it works with the generator in the driveway, but haven't had to use it real world.

They gave me the option of returning it for a full refund, or having it returned repaired. I chose the latter, because it is the enabling technology for me to use my generator.

Bob.

I would have gotten a refund then bought a new one rather than have the unit repaired.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #38
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
^^Yes that is good customer service.
I bought 3 of the SUPCO SPP6 capacitors last week. I debated about the SPP6E model but read a Amazon review on it that was pretty negative.
I've got 2 Honda 2000's. My cabover has a 11,000 BTU A/C that I would like to run on one of the Honda's, but no big deal if I need both. The Montana HC has a 15,000 and a 13,500 A/C. It would be nice if I could run both off the 2 Honda's.
When the weather cools a little more I'll install them.
Best I can tell there are no polarity issues on wiring it. I did see where someone wired the capacitor lead with the extra clip to the red wire post on the A/C, but not sure if it makes a difference.
Anyone that has installed a SUPCO care to comment?

There is no polarity issue with the SPP6, which is the correct one.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #39
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp711 View Post
What's the difference between the micro air start and a hard start capacitor, besides about $300?
Enormous! You get what you pay for. They have nothing in common with each other. It's like comparing a construction-grade generator to an inverter generator maybe even worse.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #40
gearhead

Thanks.
I never got my head around what the electronic one did that the basic one didn't. Something about a timer that prevented a fast "re-start".
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote