Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
bill-e

My 2015 26RBI has 2 Grey water tanks

Hi Folks,

I peaked into the underbelly of my camper and noticed that there were 2 grey water tanks. I have 2 tank indicators on the level panel but when I asked a year ago I was told by folks on here that there really was only one tank. I only have one outlet valve for grey.

So, not so. And though I haven't/wont measure the capacity, I believe that Cougar typically used 38 gallon tanks in pairs and they advertise their Western Edition models as having 76 gallons of grey capacity.

Does anyone actually know for sure?...just curious.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
dcg9381

Bill, I dunno for sure, but if there is a transfer tube between the two tanks, it only makes sense to measure the level in one of them...

dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
canesfan

Don't know for sure on yours, but I can share this if it helps. Mine has 2 gray tanks and I knew that from the literature and crawling around looking under it to confirm. What I couldn't figure out was how to dump the second gray tank. I could see the pvc running from the rear up to the main drain outlet, but there was only a black and 1 gray handle there. I finally started tracing the pvc back to the tank and where I never would have noticed it there is a valve handle stuck up in the wheel well above the rear tire. You have to be a contortionist to reach it. They put things in strange places on this stuff so dig around and you might find your second valve.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Bill, I dunno for sure, but if there is a transfer tube between the two tanks, it only makes sense to measure the level in one of them...
Sense???...this is Keystone remember

History on this is that my camper was listed as a Western Edition on a New England dealer's website. Called keystone and they said it wasn't per the VIN. The WE advertises 76 gal of grey while the East coast version advertises 56.

Anyway, I went back and found a tag and it looks like they are two 38+ gallon tanks, tied together with each having their level sensors connected. (PN TS2463sd 63x24x7") so I have no idea why my camper got the larger capacity or what else is different.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 04-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I doubt that 2 tanks are connected together and dumped from 1 valve. Sounds silly to me. If you looked and saw 2 tanks. Where does the rear tank drain go. If you seen it go into the 2nd tank than I guess it would. I think like other trailers it drains foreword to the dump valve where the big black tank valve and the rear gray come together and the other gray connects above them. If so you have a galley gray tank valve behind the rear wheels. How about running the galley sink and see if it fills the tank and backs up into that sink. If it fills than drains into a empty gray 2 tank like you think your panel would show that.
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
bill-e

Two tanks, one valve. Both tank indicators fill up at the same time and both empty at the same time...been using this camper for a year, only ever used the one and only grey dump valve. My only question was did I have 56 or 76 gal of holding. Now I know it's 76.

Tanks are mounted side by side and while I cant see everything it appears that the outlets come off the inside towards the rear of the tank/trailer and meet into one 3 or 4" pipe.

Actually not silly to me at all, why would one want two separate tanks when one can connect them and have only one to worry about filling and emptying?

Here's the pic. I tried to add arrows depicting the direction of flow and I overexposed the pic to better see the black pipe

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 04-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #7
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
Sense???...this is Keystone remember
The WE advertises 76 gal of grey while the East coast version advertises 56.
Anyway, I went back and found a tag and it looks like they are two 38+ gallon tanks, tied together with each having their level sensors connected. (PN TS2463sd 63x24x7") so I have no idea why my camper got the larger capacity or what else is different.
I've read the BBB complaints against Keystone on "advertised" tank size versus actual (when the tanks are not tied together).

I suppose when they can label the dump handles right, we'll consider that a start...

Why you'd tie them together at the same point and then have two different level systems is kinda beyond me..
Old 04-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
bill-e

Actually my camper has been great. I've only had one problem, my outdoor speakers don't work and I'm having the stereo replaced tomorrow. Other than that we've not had a single issue with the camper. I got it in July '15 and camped about 8 times with it so far.

My valves were even properly labeled

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 04-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
dcg9381

And you got a *real* 78 gallon tank too! Always happy to hear positive feedback.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Another Keystone thing? I guess. Still silly for me, maybe I am just old school. Each tank and a valve to control the fluids it that tank if and when needed. I guess it saved them the cost of a valve and maybe drain pipe. Some even have gray water going into black water tank.

Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote