Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #1
ErraticAKn

Quality Blade Fuses?

Anyone have a preference and a reason for that preference for the type / mfg. of blade fuses you use in your travel trailer?

Anyone have thoughts on the newer ones that glow or light up when they blow out?

Seems lately I'm blowing the 30a fuses on the slide-outs.

Happy summer all

Dan

__________ ______ ____ __ _
2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2015 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.2L EFI
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
www.erraticway.com
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Pretty much all of the 12 VDC fuses you'll find on any store shelf are made in China. I'm not so sure than "mil standard" fuses are any better and even they may be produced "off shore". Seems more and more of our "reliable products" are being compromised by cheap labor and inferior materials.

One solution to your slide fuse problem is to replace it with a 12 volt plug in circuit breaker. Almost any auto parts store will have them in stock. I have even seen them on the shelf at some WalMart stores. You might also want to check all the electrical connections at the slide motor. Sometimes just a little corrosion under that butt crimp connector is all it takes to cause a bad connection which will usually cause blown fuses.

They cost about $6 and are available in amperage ranges the same as most plug in fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 VDC CIRCUIT BREAKER.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	9132  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Steve S

Hi John, can you school me on this fuse? I have 2 in my suv and I've always wondered what the benifit was ?
Old 07-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Sure, They "auto reset" after they cool down so you don't have to replace them if they "pop". Depending on the brand and specifications, some reset in 1-2 seconds, some reset in 10 seconds and some reset in 30+ seconds. The various "reset times" are engineered into the specific circuit breaker to allow the "protected circuit" to have time to "do its thing" before power is reapplied.

In an RV slide or landing gear situation, I really don't think it makes much difference which "delay time" you select. It will only impact how long you wait before you can push the switch again and get motion. In an SUV, I'd suggest replacing with the same part number breaker. There may be an impact on how the protected circuit reacts if power is applied too soon after being interrupted. Also, in automobiles, most lighting systems are protected by "instant reset" breakers (instead of fuses) so you don't wind up with no lights on a dark night at 70 MPH......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Steve S

Thanks so much John That's very interesting as I've never knew anything about these fuses. It sure does make sense if you're driving down the road and have no dash lights and no extra fuses!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
ErraticAKn

Thanks

I like that idea. I was looking at the newer versions of Bussmans blade fuses including the ones that glow when they blow out. The cheap ones I have now feel flimsy and were a last minute purchase out the door..

Thanks for the info on the resettable also - that looks like a great solution as well.

__________ ______ ____ __ _
2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2015 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.2L EFI
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
www.erraticway.com
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade, fuse, slide-0out