Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
OurLuckyPenny

E150 Van as Tow Vehicle

Has anyone out there used a full-size van (Ford E150 or E250, for example) as a travel trailer tow vehicle?

Seems like there would be lots to recommend it with the added storage space protected from the elements and much more accessible than crawling around on your knees in an unpadded pickup bed under a shell?

To say nothing of the other neat uses a full-size van offers by itself for camping, storing items like generators, etc. and so on!

Any comments?
OurLuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Long wheelbase full size vans have always been a good tow vehicle but, just like pickups you have to be careful about exceeding payload. All that space can be tempting to bring along lots of "stuff". They are also not famous for their fuel economy and like TT they are more likely to be subject to crosswinds than pickups with a lower profile. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Quad

I'm sure lots of people use them as TV. Growing up my parents used a econoline 250 van as the TV for their then new Yellowstone 36 ft TT. Worked well for trips to FL and AL that we took every year. It was also nice back then because my siblings and I could sleep in the floor and bench seats all the way lol can't do that these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
GaryWT

Friend of mine uses a 15 passenger van as his TV. He removed the back seat. I know his tow load is 7,200. Not sure what the payload is. His trailer is 30 or so feet I think. Just watch the numbers and you should be good to go.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Some friends we visit in Kansas have a E250 gas van. They tow a 30' trailer with it. Have no problems towing, but he commented that with his tool box and the generator in the van he is over his GVW. If he were towing with an E150 van he would be grossly overloaded with the same setup.

Depending on the GVW/payload of the van, tongue weight of the trailer and the cargo/passengers, you will be pushing it or exceeding payload with a half ton and a similar size trailer. Even with a 3/4 ton, it's easy to get "too much stuff" in the back. Pay attention to weights, that's the only way to know for sure about your specific combination.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
OurLuckyPenny

E150 as Tow Vehicle

Thanks much! I appreciate all of the good comments.

Forgot to mention that we have a 2004 E150 Club Wagon. Our travel trailer is a 21RBS with Husky Centerline WD with Sway. We plan to carefully observe the weight limitations/recommendations.

This rig seemed to perform very well for the 100-mile trip from the dealer to our home.

Thanks again for the good advice!
OurLuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Dave-Gray

To verify the van's realistic tow capacity, use http://RVtowCheck.com

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
cathcartww

Previously we towed a 6600 lb trailer with a 1995 G20 Chevy van with a 350 gasser. That put us pretty much at the limit of the van, while it seemed to handle the load OK, it was rather anemic going up hills or into a headwind. We now tow an 8800 pound trailer with a 2005 Ford E350 with the 6.0L diesel, and it is a terrific tow vehicle.

The half tons don't have the guts that the 3/4 and one tons do, but you should be OK if you watch your weights carefully.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote