Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
rode2nowhere
Senior Member
 
rode2nowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 292
releasing trailer off ball?

I am not a professional camper but not a newbie, is there any tips to unhitching the trailer from the ball? last trip it took a while. I raise the trailer and flip the latch and move truck back and forth and still takes a while, and ball is greased well, any help appreciated?
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
zuley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Guelph, On
Posts: 308
I had the same issue last spring with our new TT. Received a responce from this forum telling me after put the blocks under the tires to pull ahead slightly with the tow vehicle allowing the ball that extra 1/4 inch or so away from the locking cam of the receiver. Worked for me.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rode2nowhere View Post
I am not a professional camper but not a newbie, is there any tips to unhitching the trailer from the ball? last trip it took a while. I raise the trailer and flip the latch and move truck back and forth and still takes a while, and ball is greased well, any help appreciated?
1. block trailer tires
2. pull or let TV roll forward slightly to take pressure off hitch.
3. flip latch
4. raise trailer
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
Ram189
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Frederick, Md
Posts: 202
Dumb question but can you not release the safety on the trailer or can you not get the ball to drop out of the trailer??
Towards the end of my TT usage I had to sometimes jump on the hitch to make it disengage the ball from the hitch.
__________________
2013 Ram 3500 DRW 4WD Crew Cab
2014 Montana High Country 338DB

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
AlbertaRvMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
1. block trailer tires
2. pull or let TV roll forward slightly to take pressure off hitch.
3. flip latch
4. raise trailer
It sounds simple. I had the same issue last week as we tried to get the new trailer detached from our tow vehicle (first time) We are using an Anderson hitch.

After nearly a half hour, I was covered in sweat, had moved the tow vehicle back and forth, very slightly, raised, lowered...

Finally it came off.

I will try blocking the TT tires first as suggested (can I just put some 2x10 blocks on each side of the tires?)
__________________
2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Yukon XL 6.0L
AlbertaRvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRvMan View Post
It sounds simple. I had the same issue last week as we tried to get the new trailer detached from our tow vehicle (first time) We are using an Anderson hitch.

After nearly a half hour, I was covered in sweat, had moved the tow vehicle back and forth, very slightly, raised, lowered...

Finally it came off.

I will try blocking the TT tires first as suggested (can I just put some 2x10 blocks on each side of the tires?)
yep........
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
Jim & DJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Morgan
Posts: 223
Duh !! I was thinking 5th wheel. I'll stay out of it
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
murphysranch
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Angels Camp CA
Posts: 83
On my trailer, we have to lift the latch and then slide it towards the trailer for the ball to disengage. Hideout 24RLSWE
__________________
2013 Laredo 296RL
2012 Dodge Ram Laramie
2 AU cattle dogs
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
rode2nowhere
Senior Member
 
rode2nowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
Dumb question but can you not release the safety on the trailer or can you not get the ball to drop out of the trailer??
Towards the end of my TT usage I had to sometimes jump on the hitch to make it disengage the ball from the hitch.
Yes the safety pops right up,,,,i will try it again, with forward pressure, but I tried forward and back with tv and trailer jack lifting truck up a little, I dunno
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fruitland
Posts: 3,169
You said your raiseing the trailer than lifting the lever, do not do that. Raising the trailer or any upward pressure will not allow the hitch to release the ball. So, park it, take off WD bars, block tires, pull hitch release lever up, side it back towards the trailer in it's slot to the end. The trailer will not fly free it has 100s of lbs holding it down. Now crank the jack down, raising the trailer to clear the ball. This is a travel trailer right? If you still have problems can you photo the hitch and post it.
__________________
2013 24RKSWE (27ft TT) Cougar 1/2 ton series
2013 Ford F350 4x4 CC 6.7 engine, 8 ft bed 3.55 rear end lariat package
Retired from Oregon State Police in 2011 than worked another 9.5 years as a small town traffic cop:
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
rode2nowhere
Senior Member
 
rode2nowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 292
yep, maybe a funniest video....
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
BirchyBoy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
You said your raiseing the trailer than lifting the lever, do not do that. Raising the trailer or any upward pressure will not allow the hitch to release the ball. So, park it, take off WD bars, block tires, pull hitch release lever up, side it back towards the trailer in it's slot to the end. The trailer will not fly free it has 100s of lbs holding it down. Now crank the jack down, raising the trailer to clear the ball. This is a travel trailer right? If you still have problems can you photo the hitch and post it.
I've been jacking before undoing my coupler as well and it has been a bear from time to time. I'm going to give this straightforward method a try next time.
__________________
Current:
'17 Winnebago Vista 31BE / Wife, pesky Eski and loco Toto dog
Former:
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
rode2nowhere
Senior Member
 
rode2nowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 292
I always pull up the releasebefore I jack it up...
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fruitland
Posts: 3,169
Sorry, your first post you said you raise the trailer and pull the hatch, which is wrong.. So, if you are following the advice from me and others, I do not know whats up. It sure sounds that the lever is not releaseing the ball. Get a look under the hitch around the ball and see , , have someone pull the lever and watch. Can you tell us what trailer it is and a photo of the hitch. At this point, I feel like I am telling a ford owner how to release the parking brake on a Dodge.
__________________
2013 24RKSWE (27ft TT) Cougar 1/2 ton series
2013 Ford F350 4x4 CC 6.7 engine, 8 ft bed 3.55 rear end lariat package
Retired from Oregon State Police in 2011 than worked another 9.5 years as a small town traffic cop:
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
rschad
Senior Member
 
rschad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 100
I have found that after I take off the bars then I lower the tongue again and then release the latch on the hitch and raise it up again, then it always seems that the hitch releases from the ball, some times I need to hit the hitch with my foot to knock it totally free but that seems to have always worked for me on any trailer I have had.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #16
rode2nowhere
Senior Member
 
rode2nowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 292
the safety latch releases, I can see it pop up and back, like its just tight in the socket, and at my 154 lbs. kicking has little effect.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #17
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rode2nowhere View Post
the safety latch releases, I can see it pop up and back, like its just tight in the socket, and at my 154 lbs. kicking has little effect.
If the coupling and the ball are in a bind it takes some force to jar them apart. The trick is to not put them in a bind. This is why I and others tell you to pull the TV forward after chocking the wheels.

Of course this assumes that you backed into the site and didn't pull through, if indeed you did stop with a forward load on the coupling then it should help if you back slightly into the coupling.

If all else fails and you have another driver with you I'd suggest that they sit behind the wheel with the TV in neutral while you jack up the trailer. They should be prepared to stop the TV should it begin to roll.

This should give you the best chance of easily unhitching.

In all of this I don't believe anyone asked if you are removing the weight bars first. I guess we just assumed that you are.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #18
rode2nowhere
Senior Member
 
rode2nowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 292
yep weight bars first, and I had wife in truck going back and forth, maybe a fluke, but I know it took a good 15 minutes,,,
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #19
UsTwo
Senior Member
 
UsTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Charles, Misssoui
Posts: 163
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
You said your raiseing the trailer than lifting the lever, do not do that. Raising the trailer or any upward pressure will not allow the hitch to release the ball. So, park it, take off WD bars, block tires, pull hitch release lever up, side it back towards the trailer in it's slot to the end. The trailer will not fly free it has 100s of lbs holding it down. Now crank the jack down, raising the trailer to clear the ball. This is a travel trailer right? If you still have problems can you photo the hitch and post it.

^^^ this is how we did it with our Coachman and at first with the Cougar.. Had to back the nut under the coupler a twist on the Coachman.. it was just way to tight. Have an elec jack now. Don't know whay i never got one before...
__________________


Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #20
rode2nowhere
Senior Member
 
rode2nowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern indiana
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
^^^ this is how we did it with our Coachman and at first with the Cougar.. Had to back the nut under the coupler a twist on the Coachman.. it was just way to tight. Have an elec jack now. Don't know whay i never got one before...
what do you mean back the nut under the coupler ?
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.