Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
DAF

Angry Awning Roller Tube Bending

The awning roller tube on my 2 month old Springdale is already bending in the center. I had experienced this before on long awnings but not this soon. It looks like the material used by Dometic is not what it used to be . Has anyone used an awning cradle support to prevent/alleviate this? I am going to discuss this issue with my dealer in a few weeks and see what they can do or suggest.
DAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
traveler

You might want to check posts over the last few days. One member waited until month 11 to get his fixed and Keystone told him that because he did not mention it sooner they would not cover it under the 12 mont waranty.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
DAF

Thanks, I am bringing this up with the dealer so that it is at least documented. One other item I have is the switch for the rear power stabilizers which gets stuck when pushed. I suspect the problem is that Keystone saved a few $$ by skipping a weatherproof cover for these switches that I am positive are not designed to be outdoors subjected to rain, etc. I guess they figure that they would last through the 1 year warranty and then it is not their problem. I am already looking at available weather proof covers that would work for this application.
DAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
CUFFS054

Daf,
Both my stabilizer switches will stay in up/down position if i push them past the "detent". Never understood why.
In another direction I got manuals for everything in my Springdale 291 except the stabilizers. Can you tell me the correct method of use? 99% sure they're Lippert.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAF View Post
The awning roller tube on my 2 month old Springdale is already bending in the center. I had experienced this before on long awnings but not this soon. It looks like the material used by Dometic is not what it used to be . Has anyone used an awning cradle support to prevent/alleviate this? I am going to discuss this issue with my dealer in a few weeks and see what they can do or suggest.
There is a center support available for the longer awnings. It cradles and supports the awning when rolled up or extended. I put one on my step-son's fiver years ago. It worked very well.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Roller4Tan

Years ago I had a center support on a TT. It saved my awning during a sudden downpour. I was too green to know to lower one side to allow run off. The awning filled up with water. It bent the support which was cheaper to replace than the awning tube.
Purchased one for other long awnings I've had. The Cougar awning is shorter becouse of the slide on that side, so I don't need one now.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
poochy

awning

its the same with our auto awning haven't figured out what to do ?
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote