Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
FlyingBelle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 24
Dumb question regarding battery

Ok - newbie here. This is probably a really dumb question, but here goes...

We picked up our TT a few weeks ago and it's on a lot for storage. Today DH went to drop some things off and the battery was dead. He thinks it's from the radio/CD player - but I can't image that would do it, would it? It was off, but apparently still had some power to it (display) Did we miss something?
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 7,015
While unplugged from shore power in storage, your battery is subject to a number of parasitic drains. You have mentioned one of them - the stereo/CD player.
Others include any hard-wired sensors and alarms such as propane detectors and your fridge may have a switch on it that is called a Climate Control which runs off the battery. This should be OFF but depending upon the make and model of your fridge, it may not have such a switch. Check your fridge manual to see if it has one.

You might want to consider hooking up a small 2A battery tender which will keep your RV battery in a charged state. This will only work however if you have access to shore power.
__________________
2008 Cougar 5th Wheel 27RKS
2005 2500 GMC Duramax
Festus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team
 
hankpage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Venice
Posts: 5,347
I don't know how to tell you but ..... this time hubby is right. The memory on the radio, the gas leak detector and some other minor parasitic drains can run down a battery in a few weeks. Installing a battery disconnect as close to the battery is the best way to prevent this or simply disconnect the cable each time. (Problem here is possible sparking when reconnecting cable so switch is safer. ) Hope this helps, Hank ...... For more info on this subject use the forum search tool as it is a very common question. THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS HERE.
__________________
Hank & Lynn
2007 Cougar 290RKS, E-Z Flex, 16" XPS RIBs ( SOLD .. Gonna miss her ... looking for new 5r)
2004.5 Dodge 2500 QC, LB, 5.9HO, WestTach gauges, Ride-Rite
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
byrdr1
Senior Member
 
byrdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Hank ...... For more info on this subject use the forum search tool as it is a very common question. THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS HERE.
A very good thought, we all need to remember that more often.
randy
__________________

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
fla-gypsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Florida
Posts: 1,241
My esteemed forum members are correct. It is the phantom parasitic load. It is possible to kill a battery permanently with the drain. Disconnect the battery cable while in storage or install a disconnect switch.
__________________
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS (The Cracker Cabana)
2009 F-250 SuperDuty CC 6.8L/4.10 (The Black Pearl)
fla-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
FlyingBelle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 24
Aw come on guys! It's way to early in my camping career to let hubby be right!

Just kidding - really appreciate the quick responses! You guys are awesome
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
SteveC7010
Senior Member
 
SteveC7010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northville NY in the Adirondacks
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBelle View Post
Ok - newbie here. This is probably a really dumb question, but here goes...

We picked up our TT a few weeks ago and it's on a lot for storage. Today DH went to drop some things off and the battery was dead. He thinks it's from the radio/CD player - but I can't image that would do it, would it? It was off, but apparently still had some power to it (display) Did we miss something?
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...t=dead+battery

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...t=dead+battery

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...t=dead+battery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search terms: vampire parasitic dead discharge phantom
__________________

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
cdawrld
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 29
Wink

I think I'm noticing a pattern here.
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR
Senior Member
 
SAABDOCTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WESTERN,CT
Posts: 2,095
FLYING BELLE In the camping code book the hubby is allowed to be right only once So your all set from now on. Have fun with that camper!
__________________
BARNEY AND CHRISTINE
2010 MONTANA 3750FL
2005 DODGE 3500 DUALLY TD
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
FlyingBelle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
FLYING BELLE In the camping code book the hubby is allowed to be right only once So your all set from now on. Have fun with that camper!
LOL - love it!

I did do a search at the recommendation of you all and sure enough... seems to be a common problem. DH called our dealer and they confirmed it's probably a combination of the clock and the CO detector. Wish we would have known that !

Oh well, live and learn, and we're off to buy a disconnect switch!
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.