Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #21
rlh1957

Obviously change tire ASAP. Put on the spare. Drive a few miles and check tread wear.
It looks like wheel or axle misalignment.

Bumping a curb in a turn caused my axle to go out of alignment and tire to track crooked and eat it up.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #22
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Got to a campground yesterday and while setting my wheel chocks I noticed this (see pictures), doesn't look like separation. Tire has about 800 miles on it.
Are your saline tires made in Vietnam? The Nam tires where recalled up to the 46 week of 21 because of inferior tooling . The Chinese saline tires are early and not in the recall.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:16 AM   #23
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Are your saline tires made in Vietnam? The Nam tires where recalled up to the 46 week of 21 because of inferior tooling . The Chinese saline tires are early and not in the recall.
Unless there is a new recall it was DOT date codes 2020 through 4120
https://www.tirereview.com/recall-an...icas-products/

My problem was and still is a bent spindle. We are stuck in Southern Kentucky waiting on a new Axle. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow and hopefully we will be back on the road the late tomorrow afternoon.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:28 AM   #24
ChuckS

First - hope you folks get the new axle in and get it replaced and are able to get on the road again..

Too bad you did not remove the Hispec tires way back.. I have posted about the high tire failure rate on these tires on a few different sights and groups..

I also would be curious to see what the actual measurement was on from the center of that axle spindle ( both sides of axle ) to the kingpin for a true side to side axle measurement..

I have looked at your pics of that tire wear and the way the inside rib is torn off.. more or less.

Seems if the toe was that far out that I would see the typical "Feathering" across the entire remaining tread ribs... from the pics I cant see that

I also cant see if your springs have the Lippert "Correct track" or just standard Dexter axle spring hangers... I don't think the 2021 Alpines used the correct track.. it is junk. some other years used it and all have had issues...

My 2014 does not use the correct track...

Anyway... twas food for thought and hope to hear you folks get your new axle and get headed back out on the road soon

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #25
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Unless there is a new recall it was DOT date codes 2020 through 4120
https://www.tirereview.com/recall-an...icas-products/

My problem was and still is a bent spindle. We are stuck in Southern Kentucky waiting on a new Axle. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow and hopefully we will be back on the road the late tomorrow afternoon.
I was going through tires this winter. After replacing them all in February of 2021, when I got home in May of 2021 I noticed that the rear tires, especially the left rear was wearing on the inside. I had a driver stop me going in to Quartzsite in April of 21, he thought I had a loose wheel or bearing.

Long story shorter after replacing the two rear tires in Deming in December of 2021. I used the spare and had taken an unmounted spare. By February it was almost down to the cords. Figured that I had bent an rear axle in early February of 2021 on Saddle Mountain Trail Rd, more of a goat trail.

Looking from underneath the fifth wheel it really didn't show but when we got ready to replace and looking across the axle from right to left it was very obvious. The reason it looked like a loose bearing the tire would scrub like it had way too much toe out and twist the tire. The pulling was causing the right tire to wear because of the pull of the left tire.

I wish I would have checked because it has 5,200 lbs axles and talking with Etrailer I could have used a 6,000 lbs beam and used the current spindles and bearings. I have a set of 3,000 lbs springs that are the same size as the 2,600 lbs on the fifth wheel. I don't need the added capacity but I would like the added strength.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:21 AM   #26
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
First - hope you folks get the new axle in and get it replaced and are able to get on the road again..

Too bad you did not remove the Hispec tires way back.. I have posted about the high tire failure rate on these tires on a few different sights and groups..

I also would be curious to see what the actual measurement was on from the center of that axle spindle ( both sides of axle ) to the kingpin for a true side to side axle measurement..

I have looked at your pics of that tire wear and the way the inside rib is torn off.. more or less.

Seems if the toe was that far out that I would see the typical "Feathering" across the entire remaining tread ribs... from the pics I cant see that

I also cant see if your springs have the Lippert "Correct track" or just standard Dexter axle spring hangers... I don't think the 2021 Alpines used the correct track.. it is junk. some other years used it and all have had issues...

My 2014 does not use the correct track...

Anyway... twas food for thought and hope to hear you folks get your new axle and get headed back out on the road soon
I knew I was taking a risk with those Hi_Spec tires, a friend had some of the Saliuns that were in the recall dates he went out and bought Hercules 901's and was gonna sell me the new Saliuns at a good price when they warrantied them, problem was that it was taking forever for him to get them, as of the last time I talked to him he still hadn't got em, he blames Simple tire where he ordered em from. The local RV dealer got a hold of me yesterday afternoon and said the axle came in and they want me there at 8:30 this morning to replace the axle. May get back on the road by lunchtime.

Here are a couple of pictures that show the bend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220518_0860.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	39869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220518_15147.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	39870  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-24-2022, 03:41 AM   #27
ChuckS

Glad the axle arrived.. If they put two guys on that axle change they should have it done in less than 2 hours... Post some follow up images of that tire after new axle install and the trip home to see how the tire wears

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:00 AM   #28
fjr vfr

Not that this is part of the problem, but over the years I've also seen cases of rims themselves getting bent causing uneven wear.
Couple years ago we had a bearing failure which bent the axle. I had them replace the 5200lb axle with a 6000lb axle. In hindsight I should have spent the extra money and did both.
Anyway make sure they inspect everything while changing the axle.
Good luck and safe travels
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:10 AM   #29
fjr vfr

One other thing, before our last 6 month trip I installed a set of Sumo trailer springs. I can highly recommend these. Even my wife, who doesn't drive, noticed the trailer riding better. They were a big improvement over rough roads with lots of potholes. They also keep the axles from bottoming out completely. Easy to install and not a big expense.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:21 AM   #30
RickV

Yesterday morning as we are getting ready to leave the campground and head to the dealer I am draining the tanks, the rear grey tank lever will not close after draining. The little black cloud strikes again.

So we get there around 8:15 they jump right on it. they had it done in 90 minutes, then they checked the drain valve BTW which had been fixed once already under warranty back home. They found that the cable sleeve had pulled loose from where it attaches to the valve lever shaft. They didn't have a replacement cable to fix it so they did a bush fix with Gorilla Tape to keep the sleeve from pulling outta the shaft works like a champ. We where on the road by 10:15 and drove 5.5 hours to Sandusky, Ohio and we are now back on schedule. Anyway here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220524_39518.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	39881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220524_39353.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	39882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220525_52623.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	39883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220525_52850.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	39884  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-25-2022, 05:09 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Glad to hear that you're back on schedule and the trailer is "towable again"... Enjoy the rest of your trip !!!!!

NOTE: For the "doubters" check the photos in the above post #30. You'll see that the "pros" use the leveling system to raise the trailer and put the jack under the spring U-bolts.... I'm not trying to diminish RickV's thread, just saw a "demonstrated process" being used by RV repairmen that may diminish some of the paranoia about where to place the jacks (and answer the question: Can the leveling system be used to change a tire or repack the wheel bearings? Answer: You see it fully displayed as functional.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #32
4Buck

I tried to use the leveling system to lift mine when getting the new tires on and it wouldn't work. it said the leveling was to far off and shut down. This is on a 2021 Alpine?
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #33
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Buck View Post
I tried to use the leveling system to lift mine when getting the new tires on and it wouldn't work. it said the leveling was to far off and shut down. This is on a 2021 Alpine?
On mine I have to lift the unaffected side some also. This way its not as far off level and stays inside the operating limits for manual mode.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote