Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Heliumhel

6.0 Ford EGR

Any one run into an issue while towing with the EGR valve throwing a code. Can't remember the code at the moment but it basically was as a result of the EGR valve open duration being longer than allowed.
Heliumhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
TandE

My egr valve and cooler is deleted so I cant say for sure. But I do know you should remove it and clean it , it could be getting clogged up from soot build up. And while it is out inspect in the hole to make sure it is not wet inside there, if it is just a dry soot build up clean it as best as possible and reinstall, could fix your problem and is pretty easy to do.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
DJ85

AAAhhhhh 6.0l problems? My suggestion is to search the web site Powerstroke.org or Powerstroke nation.com Pretty sure you will find your an answer to your question. Good luck should be a easy fix one way or the other.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
Heliumhel

Did the search, was camping at the time so I replaced the valve rather than clean it. Inside the hole was fairly clean some buildup but not a lot. Searched the forums you mentioned at the time most were clean or replace. Interestingly, it worked for a while after I replaced it and coded again on the tow back on some hills.
Question about the delete, have you noticed any issues? What are the benfits?
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Htfiremedic

Egr delete lowers water temps on the engine top. It prevents boiling. I have done the bulletproof egr Cooler. Not the delete. Wish that I had done the delete!!
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliumhel View Post
Did the search, was camping at the time so I replaced the valve rather than clean it. Inside the hole was fairly clean some buildup but not a lot. Searched the forums you mentioned at the time most were clean or replace. Interestingly, it worked for a while after I replaced it and coded again on the tow back on some hills.
Question about the delete, have you noticed any issues? What are the benfits?
You won't notice much of a difference at all. It will take a little longer to warm up in the morning since the exhaust gasses are not heating the coolant any longer. No issues at all with it but if you just delete it some trucks still need it plugged in so it doesn't set the egr code but it just has to be plugged in and not in its hole. Also if you are in a place that has emissions you might not pass if they do a visual inspection.

Benefits are that you don't have the factory egr cooler that could crack and send coolant into the cylinder which is one of the problems these trucks had, when that happens it looks like head gasket issues and can hydro lock the engine or crack heads ect. But the egr cracking issue starts with a plugged oil cooler first not the egr valve itself that's why monitoring the vitals of these trucks are important.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
I have done the bulletproof egr Cooler.
This is the best way to go about it if you have emissions in your area. Bullet proof diesel makes awesome products that work.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
muddynoll

I deleted my EGR cooler and left the EGR valve in place and plugged in so it won't cause an issue with the cooling fan. I get an EGR " insufficient flow" code but it doesn't cause any problems. Truck runs great without it. No dirty exhaust going back into the engine, and no EGR cooler to rupture and cause more problems. If you don't have emissions...Delete it ! The two sites mentioned above will tell you what you need to know to keep your 6.0 healthy.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
Heliumhel

Thanks for the info