Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Kat N Evan

Older vs Newer quality

My wife and I are looking at buying a preowned keystone fifth wheel toy hauler, probably a Fuzion or Raptor. I had my eye on a 2014 Fuzion but
my wife thinks the build quality is crap and feels that an older model, 2009 or so is made better and uses better materials. I on the other hand fear a rig that old has a whole lot of equipment (AC, fridge, pumps, brakes, etc) that is just that much older and worn out. Thoughts?
Kat N Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
LewisB

I lean your direction. Last year, we traded our 2008 Raptor 3712TS for a new 2018 Raptor 353TS. Build quality? I'd guess they were about the same. But the roof was 10 years newer, the appliances all newer with better features, brakes, bearings, seals, slides, etc. From a practical standpoint, I have always considered the life of a typical RV to be about 20 years - that's just my guess (based on the roof) and I can not support that with facts or figures. We were age 65+ and looking for something that would take us to age 75 or so - our final rig. So we made the trade and have REALLY enjoyed the newer rig.

My opinion: find a rig with the features & size you want, then get the newest one possible. Your doing the right thing by asking others on the forum. A "walk-through" review of "build quality" is likely not going to give you much factual information. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
notanlines

I like what Lewis said. A 2009 is just asking for you to practice every one of your repair skills you possess. Which one of you will be doing the repairs, you or Momma? That alone might help in the decision of newer or older. I don't want to spend my lazy years fixing anything but a greyhound or a cold beer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Gegrad

With the year models you are talking about (2009 vs 2014) there is not really going to be a difference in build quality. The concerns about the stuff being older and more worn out is more of a concern wit those ages. If you were talking about a 2000 model vs a 2014 model, maybe. But at those ages, the concern is the older model is more likely to have more serious issues. That said, it still all depends on how they were each taken care of. That is more important than the absolute age.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Build quality is about the same, maybe a bit "less quality" in newer rigs, but the offset is improved equipment, improved technology, improved materials, improved building techniques.

Many trailers from about 1990 to current have used luan paneling, even on the outside where it absorbs water and quickly deteriorates. Current technology is to replace luan with adzel in areas where water damage is probable. Many of the newer trailers have transitioned away from luan in the wheelwells and "sandwich flooring systems".

Older trailers (even in 2014 era) had incandescent lighting. Current models are almost all using LED lighting both inside and outside the trailer.

Leveling systems were "unheard of" just a few years ago and are now "standard equipment" on all luxury trailers and either a "no option option" or "mandatory option" on mid-range trailers. Even many entry level trailers offer leveling systems as standard equipment....

Then there's the 30 amp/50 amp shore power system. Even entry level trailers are now coming with 50 amp power systems either standard or as an option. The use of 30 amp systems is fast becoming extinct.

As "fashion" changes, furnishings such as rockers changed to recliners which changed to theater seating which changed to power recline/massage/heat seating....

Some of the above is "gimmicks" intended to create a desire for a new trailer, but if you're shopping for a used trailer, consider the available improvements that you might find desirable as well as some that you may find "invaluable" given the improvements they offer.

To me, it's not about whether the trim is attached as well as in years past (build quality) as it is about the availability of improved materials and techniques that actually come together to make a trailer that will last longer with fewer problems from the environment that trailers are used in, every day of their life.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Things I have noticed in the sales business getting to see many RVs from different eras is that many people look at interior materials and assume build quality. Many things on newer RVs are built with lighter materials and weights have reduced drastically over the years. The lighter materials may have a “cheaper feel”, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the build quality is lower. One thing I can really point to is doors. The bedroom doors on my 2013 Alpine feel much more solid and sound more solid when they close than the new units. Just because I have a “better door” that weighs more doesn’t mean my RV is built better than a new one. In fact, I’m confident the lighter weight materials used now for the doors will have no difference in the performance of the RV over the long run. The appliances are the things that will eventually nickel and dime you to death and cause you constant headache.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

I will speak up for the OLD camper crowd. I have a 2002 and will tell you the roof needed replacement as well as quite a few exterior small plastic bits; stove vent, compartment door keepers, etc. but NOTHING major other than the roof. I had the roof replaced with a lifetime warranty roof from RV-Armor on the insurance companiy's dime. On the inside, all changes have been making the trailer features to my liking. The water pump, heater, refrigerator and other major stuff are great. I replaced the original Dometic 13.5K btu a/c with a 15k and nothing wrong with the old. I sold it QUICKLY (on CL if I recall right) to greatly mitigate the cost of the new. I think I was about $150 or so out of pocket. The swap really wasn't needed as the old one worked fine but was looking for more cool in the cabin. The original mattress was crap so it went before taking the camper home but I think you might face this on a brand new camper. I have not had major work on anything inside the camper. Drawers and woodwork still look fine. Did they make them better in 2002 or did I get lucky? Not sure. I had a Forest River Wildwood toy hauler prior and its quality was similar except the microwave died and I had to replace an axle (probably undersized for the gross weight of the trailer); it was a 2011 model camper. Had a 2012 Sunnybrook bumper pull prior and its quality may have been a shade better as far as fit and finish.

If I were to give any advice, regardless of trailer age, look carefully carefully carefully for signs of water intrusion on the inside and look CAREFULLY at the roof to assess its condition and the condition of roof maintenance.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Personally I would have 2 very serious considerations before evaluating the year or quality.
First - does it work with your tow vehichle? Do your homework. Nothing says a bad time like a trailer swaying or lying on it's side.

Second - does the layout work? It's no fun if you end up detesting the camper because "you hit your head getting out of bed", or "your knees are in your chin when you set on the toilet" or "you can't fit a week end's worth of food in the cabinets".

A screw pulled out of a hinge or a shelf that's got the staples pulled out are easy fixes. Having a toilet too close to the sink, or a ceiling that's too l;ow isn't an easy fix.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
bsmith0404

My biggest concern with old, and mines quickly becoming that, I’ve had old before and had to replace a refrigerator. Bought a used 2003 5th wheel in 2013, used it once without issues, went to Afghanistan for a year, had a bug tripped planned with the family when I got home. Started getting everything ready to go and the fridge went out. Trying to save the vacation paid extra for shipping on a new one, luckily the local shop squeezed me in and got it replaced. Cost me $2500. I could have saved the labor cost if I had time to do it myself, but you always find this stuff when you’re ready to go, not when you’re planning a trip for next month.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
LHaven

My own opinion is that a 20-years ago, RV quality was far superior to what it is today. But the quality a 20-year-old unit still has today is no better than comparable, plus a lot of parks won't let you in.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Older vs newer? I would never buy a 10+ year old RV thinking I was getting a better deal. The appliances are on their last legs (these are not res appliances from 1960), the wear an tear on the interior, the deterioration of the roof, ACs, furnace etc. - not no but heck no.

Construction MIGHT have been a little better 10 years ago but I doubt it. Although some of the newer "gadgets" in an RV are useless IMO they have made great strides in most of the appliances you use. Suspensions, finishes, conveniences - you name it. Having owned a 2014 I would never think that a 2009 model in the same price category would be better today. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
edgarg

Keystone Raptor Toy Hauler

We have a 2010 Raptor we bought used a couple of years ago for about half of its original retail price. It had been stored mostly outside and the graphics are in bad shape. The tailgate had some moisture intrusion resulting in a 6" x12" rotten area and is in need of reinforcing at the hinge area. We had 3 of the 4 aluminum wheels fail (cracked spokes) on a long trip Atlanta to Texas. Discovered the problem before the wheels came off on the interstate. Scary! Otherwise we have been happy with it and plan to keep it a little longer. Inspect wheels and tailgate of any Raptor you are looking at!
edgarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #13
alelka

I have been looking at new 5s. we have a TT and are thinking about a 5th. But I wonder what effect covid had/has on the quality of 2020 and 2021 builds.
alelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #14
Gunny Mike

Some other issues that came up for us was getting a loan on a vehicle that's over ten years and then some resorts don't allow older RVs.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelka View Post
I have been looking at new 5s. we have a TT and are thinking about a 5th. But I wonder what effect covid had/has on the quality of 2020 and 2021 builds.
Not sure the quality has suffered any more than before Covid, but I believe the quantity has.
Just a bit of advice if upgrading to a 5er, if you currently have a 2 ton truck you'll need to upgrade that as well. Regardless of what any dealer may tell you or what they may call the 5th wheel, there very few very small 5th wheels that a 1/2 truck is capable of carrying due to limited payload.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality