Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
RWRiley

TV reception

Have on-going problem with TV reception. When I set-up camp I do a scan and get a bunch of channels. Later on (usually in the evening) I loose all channels. I do a re-scan and Zero Channels.

The dealer replaced the KeyTV unit, but it didn't help. I think the dealer is stumped at this point.

I'm not sure what to try next....Maybe replace the antenna ?
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Is your problem in all places or just one campground? Around sunset reception will change, sometimes a rescan gets it back and sometimes conditions change enough that those fringe stations go away.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Is your problem in all places or just one campground? Around sunset reception will change, sometimes a rescan gets it back and sometimes conditions change enough that those fringe stations go away.
It has happened in several different campgrounds. The last time it happened, I tried scanning again in the morning and had the same problem.

I bought a $10 Walmart antenna, and it will work when the other fails. I only get the stronger stations, but it's better than none.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
ChuckS

I’d start at the KeyTV module and remove each coax connector and verify proper center pin protrusion and reinstall connector tightly. Remove each wall plate and remove each coax connector and inspect and install

The center pin of coax should protrude 1/8 inch last edge of connector ... if not you will have signal strength loss and continuity of connection is subject to varying with temp changes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2486640E-0E9A-4373-B6A2-6F6EF3FA5C0C.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	30130  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

As Chuck said, look at that KeyTV module. Mine is in for various warranty repairs, KeyTV among them. Stopped in yesterday to give my weekly pep talk and the manager reached into a drawer and pulled out 3 coax connectors and put them on the table. I just raised my eyebrows and he said "KeyTV; this was your problem, the ends just came off when the tech pulled the module". So, might be worth looking at.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As Chuck said, look at that KeyTV module. Mine is in for various warranty repairs, KeyTV among them. Stopped in yesterday to give my weekly pep talk and the manager reached into a drawer and pulled out 3 coax connectors and put them on the table. I just raised my eyebrows and he said "KeyTV; this was your problem, the ends just came off when the tech pulled the module". So, might be worth looking at.
I will give this a try. Thanks to you and Chuck.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Hblick48

Could be radio frequency interference from led lights, which would explain why it works during the day and not at night. I have that problem when over the air signal is weak. I checked with a TV station chief engineer friend, and he verified that low grade led lights do cause interference.

I can have TV on with a great signal, turn on the ceiling lights and signal is lost. Turn the lights off and signal returns.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Maybe he keeps those in the drawer to tell that to every keytv complaint. Wasn't there a lot of issues a while back with the keytv modules failing when they warmed up?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Maybe he keeps those in the drawer to tell that to every keytv complaint. Wasn't there a lot of issues a while back with the keytv modules failing when they warmed up?

Well, I've got my lingering doubts about those being the issue myself since the KeyTV module and diplexer are common failures. I told them I wanted a new Samsung TV in it before I picked it up then I will check it all out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
ChuckS

Also if the LED lights are interfering with OTA TV reception you can either replace the LED fixtures with one that has a better voltage regulator circuit that doesn’t generate RFI or yo7 can purchase a few clamp on toroids and eliminate the RFI...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV Set RFI fix suggestion.pdf (153.6 KB, 47 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote