Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
ATXCharlie

Water Pump and Hoses Connections

Howdy! I'm planning to install batteries and an inverter after I remove two drawers under my kitchen counter. My water pump and water lines to the sink are located in this dead space and I'll need to move / reroute them.

One thing that puzzles me is that there's a three-way junction where the third hose goes nowhere and is not capped. The junction has a knob which, I assume, is to divert water either in from or out from the mystery hose line. Can someone tell me the purpose of this hose?

Also, I'm trying to devise a plan for moving the pump as close to the exterior wall as I can to make space for the inverter and keep the pump and water lines out of the way. Question: do y'all think moving the pump/lines likely to be more trouble than it's worth in order to place my solar equipment in my preferred location? 2nd best options are not nearly as attractive to me.

Part of the plan will of course be to protect the electric items from water in the event a leak sprouts.

Thanks!
ATXCharlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200610_172840.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	27975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200610_172826.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	27976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200610_172817.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	27977  
ATXCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

That "hose to nowhere" is the hose that you stick in the jug of RV antifreeze to winterize the water line. You turn the valve at the end of that hose to divert the flow from the fresh water tank to that hose.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Customer1

The question about the hose was answered.

In regards to moving the plumbing, that is up to you.

I'm not familiar with your unit so I thought I would mention, you want the inverter as close as possible to the batteries.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:12 AM   #4
ATXCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
I'm not familiar with your unit so I thought I would mention, you want the inverter as close as possible to the batteries.
That's what I've been told and my aim is to get the the batteries, inverter/charger, and charge controller installed under the kitchen sink, packed together but one hopes not too close together. Can't quite make it work w/o moving the water pump/lines, which might be a can of worms I regret opening if I do try moving them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200610_173101.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	27993  
Old 06-12-2020, 05:49 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCharlie View Post
That's what I've been told and my aim is to get the the batteries, inverter/charger, and charge controller installed under the kitchen sink, packed together but one hopes not too close together. Can't quite make it work w/o moving the water pump/lines, which might be a can of worms I regret opening if I do try moving them.
Depending on the type of batteries you're planning to use, conventional "lead/acid batteries" give off an explosive and corrosive gas while charging. You could be setting yourself up for some significant danger as well as creating damage from the battery acid inside your trailer. There's a reason why the batteries are "out in the open" on a travel trailer and "in a dedicated, sealed from the living space compartment, vented to the outside.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
ATXCharlie

The plan is to use sealed lithium batteries and my assumption is that they won't pose an off-gassing risk. Protecting the batteries and the other electrical equipment from water damage / danger is, to the best of my imperfect knowledge, the thing I need to be careful about. If I'm wrong then I'm keen to learn more since I don't want to hurt myself or anyone else with a DIY mistake.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Lithium batteries are OBSENELY expensive.... To buy four 100 amp/hr batteries will cost you about $3500-4000. That kind of investment in a 10 year old ultra-light fifth wheel may not be the wisest way to "add boondocking convenience" to the trailer.

Sometimes, "I know there's a way it can make it work" and "I know there's a smart way to get there" are not compatible.... YMMV.

Leaving the batteries "where they are engineered to be stored" and installing the inverter in that location would provide for "joint location of the batteries and inverter (eliminating the need for lengthy, large wiring runs. AC power (120 volts) does not require the same gauge wiring for longer runs, so you could run the AC power from the inverter/transfer switch (in the current battery compartment) to the power center using a 12 gauge ROMEX (12/2 yellow ROMEX) and carry all the power you'd need without moving any of the water system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
travelin texans

Couple thoughts!
- I know it wouldn't necessarily be your responsibility, but the next owner adds lead acid batteries to the new spot under the sink not knowing any better, not good.
- I couldn't possibly justify spending $1000+/- each for a battery + $xxxx for some solar + still need $xxx for a back up generator when for $40+/- per night I can have full hookups, use a pool & a laundry if needed.
Just my .02 cents!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

ATXCharlie a few thoughts, first, how you spend your money and use your camper is entirely your decision. Some just some thoughts that come to mind from your questions and posts.

I assume that you are new to this idea of this type modification. As you were unaware of the winterizing hose on the pump you may not be aware that the hose going thru the floor typically goes directly into the water tank below. Therefore, if you wish to relocate the pump and use that floor space you have 2 choices. Either drop the tank and relocate that pick up or take the existing plumbing to the tank and run it along the floor and put another floor above it. The second choice I would not recommend as you would have fitting hidden and a leak would most likely create a LOT of damage before being detected.

Secondly, installing any battery or other electrical connections/devices below a sink is asking for trouble. What if a leak under the sink happens when you are away, even 20' outside you won't know it until someone notices water running out of the camper and by then you could have a fore, or have thousands of dollars worth of batteries ruined. What if the drain under the sink fails while doing dishes? Until your toes get wet you may not know it, again to late.
Just a couple of thoughts that would have me looking elsewhere to make that mod.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #10
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCharlie View Post
The plan is to use sealed lithium batteries and my assumption is that they won't pose an off-gassing risk...
People that have lithium absolutely love them but I don't know much about them so I'll bow out.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
ATXCharlie

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll put my thinking cap on and figure out a plan eventually.

Tags
water, water pump