Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
purebred

Window weatherstripping question

Our new Alpine had a problem with windows fogging up and air leakage around them.I opened each one and noticed that every window had a small gap about 3/4 inch long at both ends of the windows on the bottom. I can't believe this is a normal practice of sealing these windows. Would these gaps be for venting the trailer? I bought some weatherstripping and filled the voids up. Just curious if this the normal sealing of windows or not? Thanks
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Can you post a picture? A 3/4" gap is a HUGE gap. There should be no gap, nor "air leakage" around any window.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
purebred

Thanks flybouy, can't take a picture because I filled in the gaps. Maybe the weatherstripping shrunk and tore, but it seemed strange that each window all 10 had two small like 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch gaps in the weatherstrip. The trailer is a 2020 so age seems awful weird. All in all really seeing the quality of this 70,000 dollar trailer. Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Just curious, new camper, lots of money, why did you accept it like this and why did you choose to not have it repaired under warranty ?
Old 11-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just curious, new camper, lots of money, why did you accept it like this and why did you choose to not have it repaired under warranty ?
Yes lots of money but I guess I didn't have the expertise like you to check it out so diligently. I didn't take each screen off each window and check the weatherstripping of each window, Don't know of many people that does this. As having it repaired We live full time in it so having it repaired would have been more inconvenience then just fixing it myself. Which by the way I have done many other things myself instead of expecting Keystone to do. All I did was ask a simple question about the weatherstripping and if it was normal in having gaps. I figured that it shouldn't and just wondered if anyone else had the same problem. I guess like many of us inexperienced people that expect a good product for the money spent we shouldn't be upset because we didn't have the inspection experience you posses. Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

There is an excellent PDI (pre delivery inspection) available on this forum. If you replace your camper I'd suggest using something like that to check out the unit before taking it home. I'd still like to see the pictures to see where the gaps were filled in as I don't even know what style windows you have. Non "flush" windows typically have a "weep" hole at the bottom to drain off water and you do not want to block that off.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
purebred

This is the flush fit windows. Fit flush against the trailer. When you pop them open they have the weather strip attached to the frame. Seems the strips tore in several places. Why I don't know. Sure couldn't be an age problem.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

If they are the new “frameless” windows, the gaps are there in place of the “weep holes” in the older frame style windows.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
purebred

Thanks but can't believe the size of these gaps is what any company would do. Defective weather strip is what I am seeing. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
Thanks but can't believe the size of these gaps is what any company would do. Defective weather strip is what I am seeing. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

I've looked at this thread and decided to just look at my frameless windows because I remembered gaps (obviously intentional) in the weatherstrip. ALL my windows have 2 gaps, about 3/4", at the bottom of the windows for drainage. If you've covered all of yours up I suspect you have created a problem for yourself. Mine have never caused an issue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:

Your not the first, and I’m sure you won’t be the last person to say that. I will play my trump card here...read my signature, I’ve seen a couple of frameless windows.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #12
purebred

Thank you Gentlemen. Sourough I appreciate the response. If I in fact created a problem by covering up the 1 1/2 inch gap at each window and keeping the wind out then I will in fact live with the consequences. I cant believe like flybouy said there should not be a gap around windows especially a 1 inch gap at each window. And Mr chuckster if these are in fact weep holes they are the biggest weep holes I have ever seen. It is amazing at the answers from such a simple question.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Your very welcome. Enjoy your trailer.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #14
Tbos

Window weatherstripping question

We have a 2019 Alpine and the “gaps” in the weather strips are there as Chuckster said, instead of weep holes. We don’t have issues with condensation on the windows. With that said greatly reducing the size of them may not hurt.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #15
purebred

I find it hard to believe you don't have condensation on your windows.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you Gentlemen. Sourough I appreciate the response. If I in fact created a problem by covering up the 1 1/2 inch gap at each window and keeping the wind out then I will in fact live with the consequences. I cant believe like flybouy said there should not be a gap around windows especially a 1 inch gap at each window. And Mr chuckster if these are in fact weep holes they are the biggest weep holes I have ever seen. It is amazing at the answers from such a simple question.
Maybe a photo or two of what the heck you're trying to describe ??? That way, there'd be no guessing what kind of gap, where it's located and how big it is (relative to the window), the sealant strip and whether it's a "gap in the sealant" a "gap in the window framing" a "gap in the installation" or a "gap created by a weep port".... Help us help you and I'm almost certain that the answers would be much more "on point with regards to the actual problem"...

Having known all three of the members you so "freely criticize" to be among the most knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum, I'm certain that if you'd provide us with "better quality descriptions", that would help us identify what you're seeing, you'd get "better quality answers"...

Meanwhile, your frustration shines "brightly" (as I'm sure mine does as well)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
My initial response was given without the full information on type of window, and I envisioned a 'large gap" that wasn't part of the window's design. That's why I suggested posting a picture as that helps identify what you have without "playing twenty questions". While your question seems "simple" for you it isn't for those of us trying to help without having as much information as you have.

Chuck's expertise, knowledge and experience is matched by few. What you wish to do with his recommendation is your purgative.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I find it hard to believe you don't have condensation on your windows.

I think you will find that air "circulation" is extremely important to reducing or eliminating condensation. The small weep holes in the insulation won't do anything to cause "the wind to blow" inside the RV but most assuredly will help in reducing the accumulation of moisture. But, as you've said, you'll deal with it like you want so I'm wishing you the best. In Goldsmith ( outside Odessa, not far from me) you won't have much of an issue with that blockage but move off elsewhere and that probably won't be the case.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #19
purebred

Flybouy as your initial response as NO GAP around the window is normal I will post a picture tomorrow when it shows what I am talking about. You yourself said Quote, there should be no gap or air leakage around the window. Will post a picture for all the experts on here to see exactly what I am talking about. Plus gap or no gap. What is normal? Who knows?
Old 11-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #20
jsmith948

Condensation is bad. It is WATER and it will accumulate on the windows, run down to the frame and form a little puddle. If the "moisture" can't escape from the window frame via a weep hole, it will run down the outside (or inside) of the wall and eventually wet the carpet and the floor causing mold and rot. This is why the windows having frames have slots in the outside edge of the extrusions to allow the water (from condensation or a partially open window) to escape. I have never had "frameless" windows, but there HAS TO BE a way for the water to escape.

It is very hard to completely eliminate condensation, but as already stated, air flow is essential to reducing the condensation. We always keep a roof vent cracked open and we always use the stove vent and, if that isn't enough, we crack open a window to allow for good airflow.

You have been given the right answer. How you choose to deal with this issue is, of course, your business. JMHO - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote