Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Bette

Refrigerator not working in transit

We bought a new Cougar 29' and am having a problem- refrigerator goes from 38 degrees to 51 degrees in 3 hours not in hot weather on propane. Propane works at home. Dometic said the pilot is being blown out but I shouldn't be running it. Keystone says we don't have a inverter we have converter so it won't work. I think both don't know why it is not working.
Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No idea what refrigerator you have so the problem could be anything from the dividing strip between the two refrigerator doors (on double door models) to a venting problem or a control board issue on any of the single or double door models. MUCH more information is needed, start with the refrigerator brand/model and a description of what is happening, conditions that you're in when it's happening (driving in crosswinds, sitting in a WalMart parking lot/dry camping, etc) and what you've done so far to investigate or try to fix the issue. It's apparent if you've got an answer from Keystone about an inverter/converter, you've discussed this issue with Keystone and possibly others. What did they do and what did they say ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We bought a new Cougar 29' and am having a problem- refrigerator goes from 38 degrees to 51 degrees in 3 hours not in hot weather on propane. Propane works at home. Dometic said the pilot is being blown out but I shouldn't be running it. Keystone says we don't have a inverter we have converter so it won't work. I think both don't know why it is not working.

Others may disagree but whoever told you what I highlighted did you a disservice on a new trailer. I've never NOT ran my fridge when driving and would think it would be useless without a block of ice in it on a 12 hour driving day with 120 degree temps inside.

I have heard of the flame being blown out in some situations and the remedies varied from a wind diverter at the front edge of the vent to others that I don't recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

For liability purposes, no manufacturer will tell you it’s okay to run on propane while in motion. In fact, everything I have ever read says do not operate on propane while driving. That being said, almost everyone does it anyway. A wind diverter will often fix the issue
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
For liability purposes, no manufacturer will tell you it’s okay to run on propane while in motion. In fact, everything I have ever read says do not operate on propane while driving. That being said, almost everyone does it anyway. A wind diverter will often fix the issue

I agree and I've read those same statements but, to me, it's a disservice to a new owner to tell them that they need to shut down their fridge every time they pull up stakes and go somewhere else. IMO that's an effort in futility when traveling longer distances in the summer. I think a new owner, and particularly a first time RV owner, should receive better advice from the RV maker; but I understand why they don't.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm sure there are numerous "subtle however's" in any owner's manual. Dometic's legal team may urge them to state, "DO NOT TOW with the refrigerator turned on"... Dometic's engineering team likely would state, "TOW WITH NO PROBLEMS even though the legal team says not to."...

In reality, what Dometic has done is "infer that it's OK to tow", absolving themselves of any legal responsibility while at the same time "fulfilling" the cautions from the "sharks in the legal office"...

What you'll find in the Dometic Owner's Manual is this statement:
"When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical, as the
rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either
side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from accumulating in
the evaporator tubing."

You may have to "read between the lines" but Dometic is saying it's OK to tow with the refrigerator operating.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
travelin texans

I've heard folks say that they turn it off to travel as it's too dangerous, to me if that's the case take the fridge out & stack coolers in that space. That would also save about $2000 on the RV price.
The past several years the industry has sold 500k units a year & on any given day there's half that many on the highway running their fridge on LP. We've traveled approximately 200k miles the last 10+ years & NEVER seen a RV on fire along side the road. Yes it happens, but if it was so extremely dangerous you'd see it daily on every highway.
Sorry for the rant, but sounds like your dealer just blew you off with their lame excuse!!!
As John said it would help to know what you have to receive better advice.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
skids

So, I have been reading about tire blowouts. One guy describes how his propane line was destroyed. I have always towed with the propane going to the fridge. I am giving that more thought. Maybe better tires ...
Old 10-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
So, I have been reading about tire blowouts. One guy describes how his propane line was destroyed. I have always towed with the propane going to the fridge. I am giving that more thought. Maybe better tires ...
If you stop and analyze the entire system, you'd realize that there's a "mass flow safety valve in the propane tank OFF/ON valve, a second mass flow valve in the propane hose and a third safety valve in the regulator. ANY rapid propane leak (such as caused by a severed propane line at the furnace or refrigerator) would immediately activate one, two or possibly all three of the safety valves, shutting off propane to the open hose that was severed by the tire blowout....

Chances are better that you'll win the lottery and be able to pay cash for your replacement RV than that this RV would be destroyed by a propane leak caused by a tire blowout....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
The last blowout I had severed the LP line to the fridge; cut in half. Never knew it, didn't cause a problem, didn't lose LP - never even smelled the LP working on the tire. I'm not worried about it, the safeties work.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:33 AM   #11
notanlines

Skids, you may very well stay awake nights dreaming up dangerous things that might happen on the road. To most of us you're 'putting today's sunshine behind tomorrow's clouds."
Our last China bomb incident took out not only the propane line, but the front fuel tank also. The only injury was to Geico when they cut the check ($9K) for repairs. And kudo's to them and the way they handle claims.
Put on great tires, fire up the fridge, and hit the road!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #12
Roscommon48

I found it interesting you mentioned the conveter/inveter.
here is some info. https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...er-vs-inverter

personally I've never had an issue with the pilot going out... if this is an issue when going down the road just shut off your refrig and turn on when you get to where you are going.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:36 AM   #13
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Skids, you may very well stay awake nights dreaming up dangerous things that might happen on the road. To most of us you're 'putting today's sunshine behind tomorrow's clouds."
Our last China bomb incident took out not only the propane line, but the front fuel tank also. The only injury was to Geico when they cut the check ($9K) for repairs. And kudo's to them and the way they handle claims.
Put on great tires, fire up the fridge, and hit the road!
Glass half-empty kind of guy? I just want to be safe.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Statistically if you want to be safe then fly to your destination and take public transportation to and from the airport. Once upon a time LP appliances were somewhat a hazard I believe mostly from users improperly attempting to ignite the pilot light.
. Standing pilot lights are mostly a thing of the past and so are the "accidents" with LP fires. As stated by others the safety devices in the tanks and regulators.
With that said, you can't stop people from circumventing the safety devices in the appliances when they perceive a shut down or a failure to ignite as a "nuisance" and purposely circumvent those protections.
I think your greatest defense is to stay alert and drive defensively and enjoy the experience.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
08quadram

My Dometic is doing the same thing on my Bullet. One of the warranty issues that is hopefully being addressed this week.......or next.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #16
Customer1

You don't have a pilot, you have a burner.

The burner automatically lights when cooling is needed.

What have you got? Brand and model number of refrigerator.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

My 1st TT, maybe a 1972 model, did have the pilot light blow out sometimes while traveling, none since.
I have told this story before. TV/TT crash both rolled over. Driver was driving to fast without anti sway control 2/4 ton truck about 30 TT. I beat the fire guys to the crash scene. Normally it's the other way. The 30lb propane tanks detached from the mount and were maybe 50 yards away. Driver said valves were on, these were OPD valves. I waited til fire guys arrived and told them. He said no problem and we both walked to the tanks. He shut the valves off and we carried them back to the crash. No propane was exiting the tanks the OPD valves do work.
Also told this story before, but my fire investigator who told me is now deceased. When there is a fire near the tanks, at some point they can get hot enough with valves closed that the vent does whats its supposed to do it vents any and all propane from that tank. That's when you see the big ball of fire.
So, without a fire at or near the tanks and if equipped with a OPD valve. It's not likely to blow up or cause a fire.
If the pilot light is on, will that blow you up while fueling? Maybe, but that's a different question.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #18
jdixon980

I had a issue where my fridge would not run on propane while traveling. Worked while I used camper. Had it in shop 2 different times. Changed circuit board and couple of other things. Still would not work while I traveled. We were going home from a trip. I told my wife to close the slide while I laid underneath slide. Noticed as slide closed, the gas line would fold up and pinch gas off. Cut some wire ties off and has worked flawless ever since. You might give it look to see if you have the same problem.
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #19
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdixon980 View Post
I had a issue where my fridge would not run on propane while traveling. Worked while I used camper. Had it in shop 2 different times. Changed circuit board and couple of other things. Still would not work while I traveled. We were going home from a trip. I told my wife to close the slide while I laid underneath slide. Noticed as slide closed, the gas line would fold up and pinch gas off. Cut some wire ties off and has worked flawless ever since. You might give it look to see if you have the same problem.

Our trailer had the same problem, the dealer fixed it the same way you did. He removed about half of the ties.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #20
Justvisiting2day

Like...W.O.W. a whole bunch o info here . I have never run with ghahzz on, BUT my fridges in all my units have had 12v to keep power on. As I do understand most now days don't come with 3 way equip. I have traveled all over our great country and AK. and always see those big black burned out spots on the road where an RV has burnt to the ground. ..Turn it off and save a headache.
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote