Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
Roadmaster

2020 Raptor under slide fabric chafing

Think about this. A brand new 2020 Raptor 423 purchased in June and already has significant damage to the Darco fabric under the two big slides. After a lot of research, I now know why. Keystone chose to go the cheap route and not install rollers under the two big slides and instead use a wear bar. The weight of the slide pushing down on the Darco fabric causes damage to this weather barrier thus destroying it. Conventional wisdom would or should have told them to use rollers (like the bedroom slide) or place plastic strips similar to the same material the wear bar is to provide a friction free point. Now we have to let a dealer have it for no telling how long to repair poor engineering.
Beware my friends, if you don't find this while under warranty, the cost of repairs is on you. Furious!
Roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

While the dealership is "repairing the delicate DARCO" have them check the wheelwell linings. That DARCO is going to be filled with pinholes from rocks thrown from the tire tread causing the water protection to become a "dream"...

If you're really concerned with waterproofing, consider this: The slides, when deployed, are only subjected to moisture from condensation. (They are in the retracted position during travel so the slides are inside the trailer).... The wheelwells are going to be "sprayed with water" with every tow during rain or on wet roads..... So, if you're going to focus on a "probably doesn't matter except for cosmetics", also focus on a "real issue of water intrusion and wood rot" caused when the DARCO in the wheelwells is damaged.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Your problem sounds exceptional.
I have a 2017 Laredo with 3 slides and have not noticed any damage to the Darco fabric. Although I am curious if there is any lubricant that can be applied to the fabric without it breaking down or sagging.
As for the after market rollers, my dealer told me to avoid them as they will create "wear tracks" into the Darco.
I hope your problem is easily solved. Maybe the wear bars were installed wrong or adjustment is in order (not your fault on a 2020 unit).
When I look at it from a "how would I do it" prospective the first thing that comes to mind is a solid pin bearing roller and maybe a smooth durable material (Teflon,carbon fiber?) on the bottom of the slider. But not having a degree in RV design (and you wonder who does?) I'm sure weight and cost surface as two main considerations that hinder the industry from the proper improvements with these mechanisms.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Roadmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While the dealership is "repairing the delicate DARCO" have them check the wheelwell linings. That DARCO is going to be filled with pinholes from rocks thrown from the tire tread causing the water protection to become a "dream"...

If you're really concerned with waterproofing, consider this: The slides, when deployed, are only subjected to moisture from condensation. (They are in the retracted position during travel so the slides are inside the trailer).... The wheelwells are going to be "sprayed with water" with every tow during rain or on wet roads..... So, if you're going to focus on a "probably doesn't matter except for cosmetics", also focus on a "real issue of water intrusion and wood rot" caused when the DARCO in the wheelwells is damaged.
I just went out and looked at the wheel wells. The material there is not the same stuff as that under the slide. It's a thick corrugated plastic just like the under belly of the main body. If that were to ever get holes in it, I will be looking to purchase a can of auto undercoating or bed liner. Under the slide is a plastic fabric and thin compared to the wheel wells. Under that is wood. Because the floor actually hang below the side walls, and the fact that there is no drip edge, water while the slides are out will run down the wall and go under the slide about 4 inches then gravity takes over. The Darco fabric is the barrier that protects the wood. So, it's more than just a cosmetic problem. Over time that exposed wood will become rotted and soft. Also, if that fabric rips it will hinder the slide coming in and out.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You need to thoroughly discuss the method of repair on the Darco with the service manager. I am pretty confident Keystone is not going to spend a lot of money and give you some kind of upgraded slide bottom. I have on the other hand seen repairs made to frayed Darco using only Flex Mend/scrim tape - not good.

When mine started fraying, in visiting with the service manager about total Darco replacement on the slide, he said I couldn't afford it; they have to remove the slide and pull everything out of it to wrap the Darco around the edges then reinstall everything, then the slide. I put uhmw strips on mine and I think others have as well so you might do a search. I was going to put Teflon on it but it was $800 a linear ft.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
Roadmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You need to thoroughly discuss the method of repair on the Darco with the service manager. I am pretty confident Keystone is not going to spend a lot of money and give you some kind of upgraded slide bottom. Ihave on the other hand seen repairs made to frayed Darco using only Flex Mend/scrim tape - not good.

When mine started fraying, in visiting with the service manager about total Darco replacement on the slide, he said I couldn't afford it; they have to remove the slide and pull everything out of it to wrap the Darco around the edges then reinstall everything, then the slide. I put uhmw strips on mine and I think others have as well so you might do a search. I was going to put Teflon on it but it was $800 a linear ft.
The more I think about it the UHMW strips is the answer. The drag on a roller going across the Darco fabric would be greater than the two UHMW materials rubbing on each other. I have an appointment in Florida but we're 3 days away and I'm concerned about completely destroying the fabric putting the slides out 3 more times and bringing them back in 3 times. I called Keystone and voiced my opinion so we will see what their grand solution is. The first RV manufacturer to step up to the plate and stop cutting corners and develop a good QC department, ( much like the auto industry did) will own the RV industry.

Tags
raptor, slide