Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
FBO Cookie Monster

255SRL and clearance with pickup truck.

Hello, stopped by a (super bad) dealer, and looked at the 255srl fifth. I am interested in it because it is one of the few where the numbers work for my pickup. BUT:.... The coach appeared level, and I measured the clearance between the front deck and ground, and came up with about 60". I then measured through the center of my axle and top of the bed on my pickup, and it was 59". There does not appear to be a way to raise the coach like some other manufacturers have by adjusting the spring perches.

Has anyone had clearance issues with coach and their truck? I realize my truck will settle a little with the load applied, I would expect 1.5" or so, but do not really know. I was considering installing a roadmaster active spring set in the back, and that would likely raise it up 3/4", and reduce how much it would settle, making that issue worse.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:47 AM   #2
notanlines

Peter, you do realize that the front of the RV raises before you back under for connecting the hitch, right? That should leave you in the area of 6-7" or so between the bottom of the RV and your truck rails.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
notanlines

I might further add that this unit probably is equipped with 'auto-level' (a very nice addition) and will return to the original release height automatically when ready to hook up.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:36 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Hello, stopped by a (super bad) dealer, and looked at the 255srl fifth. I am interested in it because it is one of the few where the numbers work for my pickup. BUT:.... The coach appeared level, and I measured the clearance between the front deck and ground, and came up with about 60". I then measured through the center of my axle and top of the bed on my pickup, and it was 59". There does not appear to be a way to raise the coach like some other manufacturers have by adjusting the spring perches.

Has anyone had clearance issues with coach and their truck? I realize my truck will settle a little with the load applied, I would expect 1.5" or so, but do not really know. I was considering installing a roadmaster active spring set in the back, and that would likely raise it up 3/4", and reduce how much it would settle, making that issue worse.

I’m curious, what brand of trailer have you seen with adjustable spring perches? I know the pin box can be moved, just haven’t seen any spring perches with that feature on any RVs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:20 AM   #5
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I’m curious, what brand of trailer have you seen with adjustable spring perches? I know the pin box can be moved, just haven’t seen any spring perches with that feature on any RVs.
Jayco has adjustable perch’s, there are others too.

So, it appears my measurements were off a little too. Truck top of bed rail is just a smidge over 56”, and different brands of fivers that I have been checking out are running 60 to 61”. With sag, that should add up to the minimum 6” . My bad.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #6
Roscommon48

A couple of things. I assume you are a newbie, it helps us to know what truck do you have? Is it a 1/2, 3/4 or one ton? This would help us understand.

And then there is the term coaches? these are 5th wheels, coaches have motors:-)

Regardless, like stated above, you need 6 or 7 inches between the '5th wheel' and the truck bed.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
A couple of things. I assume you are a newbie, it helps us to know what truck do you have? Is it a 1/2, 3/4 or one ton? This would help us understand.

And then there is the term coaches? these are 5th wheels, coaches have motors:-)

Regardless, like stated above, you need 6 or 7 inches between the '5th wheel' and the truck bed.
It’s an F150. I’ve heard many people call them coaches, but thanks, something new every day.

When I measured the top of the bed, I must of not had smooth ground/ pothole, dunno. So anyway, if I get a trailer that is 60 or 61 tall, with sag of 2” on the truck, should be good. I was considering putting a roadmaster acitve suspension on the springs, but have read that they can actually raise the bed up another 3/4 to 1 inch. Might hold off on that, or consider Timbrens.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Might also hold off until you get real world trailer wts and compare that to the yellow payload sticker. Start there 1st. Before worrying about height. Any knowledge on those numbers yet.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Might also hold off until you get real world trailer wts and compare that to the yellow payload sticker. Start there 1st. Before worrying about height. Any knowledge on those numbers yet.
Well, dry pin weight less than 1400, payload in truck 2500, trailer weight max under 10k, 7200 empty, max trailer weight for truck 11,400.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Good to know the payload, you may get close to that 2500 lb payload when loaded up. I would run the combo over a scale and get real numbers.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
travelin texans

For about the hundredth time, dry RV weights are a totally worthless number in finding a suitable tow vehicle, as is the max tow weight rating for a particular truck.
NO RV purchased will EVER weigh the dry weight once it rolls out the factory door, you will NEVER tow it "dry" & your truck will most likely exceed max payload long before you'll ever tow the max.
There are several posts on this forum & any other RV forum about this subject, unfortunately all start with someone posting their RV dry weight & max tow of their truck, both being useless numbers for anyone to be of any help.
IMHO a 10,000lb RV is at the very top end, if not too much, of any 1/2 ton truck to safely tow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Empty pin weight is 1375. Add 60 lbs for propane, 150 pounds for a couple of GC2 batteries and then add 200 for a sliding fifth wheel hitch and the "empty trailer weight (before you put any personal items, camping gear, chocks, blocks, tools, lawn chairs, dishes, cookware, entertainment items, grill, sewer hoses, water hoses, spare tire, jack, ladder (the list goes on and on).... Anyway, the "advertised trailer weight and pin weight are going to increase substantially before you hitch it for that first trip.

You're looking at a "honest empty pin weight with hitch of around 1785 before you start putting "your stuff" in the trailer. Then there's the "mods to the truck" (Timbrens weigh in at around 15 lbs for the pair, running boards, tonneau cover, etc all come off that payload....

While it may be "doable" with a superlite, 1375 "shipping pin weight" fifth wheel, you're going to wind up in the same situation as I was in with my 2010 F150 and our 2011 Springdale 25' fifth wheel with an "advertised pin weight of 1120 pounds. In reality, ready to travel, the pin weight was closer to 1900 pounds and then you've got to put a hitch in the truck.....

Do some serious looking and calculating before signing on the dotted line, else you run the very real risk of taking a bath on the truck when you find out you've got to go with a 3/4 ton to "break even on weights".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #13
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
For about the hundredth time, dry RV weights are a totally worthless number in finding a suitable tow vehicle, as is the max tow weight rating for a particular truck.
NO RV purchased will EVER weigh the dry weight once it rolls out the factory door, you will NEVER tow it "dry" & your truck will most likely exceed max payload long before you'll ever tow the max.
There are several posts on this forum & any other RV forum about this subject, unfortunately all start with someone posting their RV dry weight & max tow of their truck, both being useless numbers for anyone to be of any help.
IMHO a 10,000lb RV is at the very top end, if not too much, of any 1/2 ton truck to safely tow.
This is completely on point. As an example. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 SRW. The yellow sticker is 3,810 lbs for payload. My GVW is 11,800. My max to is 24,000 lbs. My 5er weighs 15,000 lbs. When hitched and ready to travel (kids, wife wood etc...) my truck weighs 11790 lbs.

If I was to tow a 24,000 lb trailer I should have at least 4,000 Lbs pin weight which exceeds my payload by 1,000 lbs before I add any hitch or cargo to the truck.

My pin weight is in the neighborhood of 3,000 lbs and was advertised at 2,500 lbs. My dry weight was 12,800 lbs and it is now 15,000 lbs. It will never be 12,800 again unless I am trading it in and taking everything out at that time.

If you are looking at Travel trailers then use 15% of the trailers GVW as your hitch weight. Add the weight of the hitch and start there when looking for a TV with ample payload.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
This is completely on point. As an example. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 SRW. The yellow sticker is 3,810 lbs for payload. My GVW is 11,800. My max to is 24,000 lbs. My 5er weighs 15,000 lbs. When hitched and ready to travel (kids, wife wood etc...) my truck weighs 11790 lbs.

If I was to tow a 24,000 lb trailer I should have at least 4,000 Lbs pin weight which exceeds my payload by 1,000 lbs before I add any hitch or cargo to the truck.

My pin weight is in the neighborhood of 3,000 lbs and was advertised at 2,500 lbs. My dry weight was 12,800 lbs and it is now 15,000 lbs. It will never be 12,800 again unless I am trading it in and taking everything out at that time.

If you are looking at Travel trailers then use 15% of the trailers GVW as your hitch weight. Add the weight of the hitch and start there when looking for a TV with ample payload.
Even if trading it & removing all your stuff it will still NEVER weigh that "dry" weight again!!!
You've had water/waste in the tanks that are never completely empty, added propane to the tanks, it has 1 or 2 batteries that weren't there when that dry weight was calculated & any add-ons or options the dealer or you installed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Empty pin weight is 1375. Add 60 lbs for propane, 150 pounds for a couple of GC2 batteries and then add 200 for a sliding fifth wheel hitch and the "empty trailer weight (before you put any personal items, camping gear, chocks, blocks, tools, lawn chairs, dishes, cookware, entertainment items, grill, sewer hoses, water hoses, spare tire, jack, ladder (the list goes on and on).... Anyway, the "advertised trailer weight and pin weight are going to increase substantially before you hitch it for that first trip.

You're looking at a "honest empty pin weight with hitch of around 1785 before you start putting "your stuff" in the trailer. Then there's the "mods to the truck" (Timbrens weigh in at around 15 lbs for the pair, running boards, tonneau cover, etc all come off that payload....

While it may be "doable" with a superlite, 1375 "shipping pin weight" fifth wheel, you're going to wind up in the same situation as I was in with my 2010 F150 and our 2011 Springdale 25' fifth wheel with an "advertised pin weight of 1120 pounds. In reality, ready to travel, the pin weight was closer to 1900 pounds and then you've got to put a hitch in the truck.....

Do some serious looking and calculating before signing on the dotted line, else you run the very real risk of taking a bath on the truck when you find out you've got to go with a 3/4 ton to "break even on weights".....
Anderson AUH is 36 pounds. Mods to truck? Maybe 75 all in. I have seen a few "real world pin weight" threads, and am confident I can come in under 18 or 1900 pounds.

Did your 2011 F150 have a 4 spring leaf pack? Thicker frame? Heavy duty rear axle? Heavy front springs? LT Tires? I have seen a lot of folks say the same thing, and find out it was a regular f150, and not the heavy duty version.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #16
FBO Cookie Monster

And why is it no one bats an eye on a diesel f250 towing a 15000 lb fiverand that truck has less payload than mine?

If Ford says it can do it, I'm doing it.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #17
FBO Cookie Monster

PS: I understand the dry weight is fantasy, but it is the only number I have when shopping RV's. Many, many fifvers that have light pins on the factory floor, come in under 1800 lbs ready for bear.

This one advertises a pin less than 900lbs!
https://www.haylettautoandrv.com/inv...A/#more-photos
Old 10-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
PS: I understand the dry weight is fantasy, but it is the only number I have when shopping RV's. Many, many fifvers that have light pins on the factory floor, come in under 1800 lbs ready for bear.

This one advertises a pin less than 900lbs!
https://www.haylettautoandrv.com/inv...A/#more-photos
NO, It's NOT the only number you have when shopping for an RV.

You can drink the Kool-Aid and pretend that the advertised "shipping weight" is something you'll see on a dealer's lot or you can ignore what you say "is the only number I have when shopping RV's" and use the "rest of the numbers provided by every RV manufacturer.

It's much more relevant to use the trailer GVW (not some fantasy "shipping weight") Then, statistically, the pin weight will be somewhere between 20-25% of that GVW.

Using empty weights to determine if "it will work" is like pretending that flapping your arms will make you lighter when you're standing on a scale.... FANTASY.....

And, for the record: I also cringe when I see an F250 towing a 15,000 pound fifth wheel. Doesn't matter if it's a diesel or gas powered 3/4 ton, it's overloaded with that trailer in tow (assuming they aren't using "shipping weight")....

The purpose of my post was not to engage in a "weight/overloaded truck/too heavy of a trailer" debate, rather to give you some "first hand experience that I had with an F150 and a "super light" 25' fifth wheel that the dealer told me was good to go and the factory advertised it as a 1120 pound pin weight.... PURE FANTASY....

Use my experience or not, that's entirely up to you. But, from your follow-on post, it's clear to anyone reading that "the advertised shipping weight is the only information that you have to use"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Future member of the towing BTDT (Been There Done That) club. No sense kicking the gourds on this one.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:58 AM   #20
Roscommon48

cookie, lets end this thread easily. About your clearance issue:

1. you need about 6-7 inch clearance between truck and 5th wheel. Have a dealer or trailer hitch place help you!

2. Look at the weight of the trailer and you'll see if a 1/2 can pull it down the road...very far.

3. Stop with the question now. Get with a local shop and ask questions to phsically see what you want to know....seeing is much better for newbies.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote