Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 05:25 AM   #1
ronheater70

first dual ac unit, how do I set?

This is our first Unit with more than 1 AC..We have one in the master bed, and one in the Bunkhouse, with thermositirs in the lving area, bedroom,(maybe bunkhouse?) Its the In command system. But specifcally do I set both ACS at the same temp, or run one a degree or 2 cooler, or what? Im just curious. Seems most our time will be in the living area until evening, then the girls will retire to the bunkroom to play on their phones, etc..
Just curious, thanks!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When we had a unit with two rooftop A/C units, we "managed the thermostats" depending on where we were in the trailer. When we were awake, watching TV in the living room or relaxing in the main cabin, we turned that A/C a bit higher and the "uninhabited area A/C" to a cooler temp. That way the noise from the unit being overhead was reduced and "transferred" to the uninhabited part of the trailer".

When we went to bed, we'd set that thermostat a bit higher and the main cabin unit a bit lower, so the noise was "moved to the uninhabited part of the trailer". Both units would "kick on" when needed, but the distraction from overhead noise was a bit less, making watching TV or talking a bit more comfortable.

For us, that seemed to be the most "ear comfortable" way to stay cool. Others prefer the bedroom noise to mask outside distractions so they can sleep better.

I'd suggest experimenting with what works best for your preferences and don't be afraid to play around with the settings.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
travelin texans

Thumbs up

Is your acs duct throughout the rv or are they dumped out directly under the units?
If duct then they may be a common duct run so it doesn't matter how you set them it will just blow more if both are running. Some duct runs are like a race track & common to both acs, others are horseshoe type from each unit separately, not familiar with what you might have.
If they dump straight down/out then you'll have to experiment what works for you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
ronheater70

Yea they are ducted (race track??) together, however they do both have a dump feature as well. I really dont know how to ask what I want to ask, I suppose I just would like to know if the temerature is set do they both cut on and off at the same time if both temps are the same etc..
Old 07-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Yea they are ducted (race track??) together, however they do both have a dump feature as well. I really dont know how to ask what I want to ask, I suppose I just would like to know if the temerature is set do they both cut on and off at the same time if both temps are the same etc..
Not sure how the In Command works, but if you have 2 thermostats they work independently per unit.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
Frank G

If you turn one unit on do you get cool air out of all the vents? if so they are ducted together. At that point you can run 1 AC, call it the "lead Unit", set it at 72. Set the #2 "Lag unit" at 74. Make changes accordingly.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Pull Toy

In our '13 Alpine, both A/Cs are ducted into the "Racetrack" In addition, the bedroom unit also has a direct dump feature. (See Pic's below).

In most cases, here in New England, and Mid-Atlantic camping areas, the Zone 1 (Living space) carries the whole camper nicely when set for 68 deg. When we first set up, I will turn on both units for a while (on 50 amp hook-up) to cool down. If it doesn't do the job, I put Zone 2 (front bed room) in service at the same temp.. It is way too loud to sleep with, but does help cool down quickly, before beddy bye. After sundown, the main unit is all you should need unless it is sweltering.

Good Luck,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent closed.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	22610   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent open.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	22611  

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
ChuckS

first dual ac unit, how do I set?

Separate remote temp sensors for each zone. Set the temp desired for that zone and temp for other zone. Ambient air will affect both remote sensors ... such as waking by one.. taking shower with bathroom door open will affect remote sensor for that zone

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

I have 2 15k btu units in my front living room Montana. They are the Whisper Quiet models so no dump ability. The living room unit controls ac and the furnace. The rear bedroom unit controls ac and the heat pump. Really like the heat pump and fireplace. Temps need to go to around 36 before the furnace is needed.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:54 AM   #10
ronheater70

Holy cow I have a lot to learn.. I have 2 units , a 15K in the front and 13.5 in the rear on the racetrack system they dp both dump though. Ill have to read up on the zones. This was one of the deciding factors to going to a fifth wheel, Having 2 units. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
In our '13 Alpine, both A/Cs are ducted into the "Racetrack" In addition, the bedroom unit also has a direct dump feature. (See Pic's below).

In most cases, here in New England, and Mid-Atlantic camping areas, the Zone 1 (Living space) carries the whole camper nicely when set for 68 deg. When we first set up, I will turn on both units for a while (on 50 amp hook-up) to cool down. If it doesn't do the job, I put Zone 2 (front bed room) in service at the same temp.. It is way too loud to sleep with, but does help cool down quickly, before beddy bye. After sundown, the main unit is all you should need unless it is sweltering.

Good Luck,
Man Im sorry, But I'm not understanding. How do y ou put zone 2 " in service" isn't that front bedroom unit already running? Sorry for stupid questions as IM realizing I should have asked more questions on this particular aspect on our PDI. Our previous trailer had one AC and a thermostat.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
Pull Toy

There are no stupid questions. It's a major learning curve. It took me quite a while to figure it all out, even after the PDI.

In our camper there is one electronic comfort center (smart thermostat) that controls all of the HVAC environmental functions. Our 2 roof top A/Cs, the heat pump (on the rear unit, in our case), the furnace, and just the circulating fan. Each roof top unit is controlled separately as to off/on, fan speed, temp etc. Each "zone" has its own temp sensor, and both zones can be set to different temps.. The sensor will probably look something like an off white bottle cap with holes in it, and it should be mounted on the wall about half way between the floor, and the ceiling. In my experience, the rear a/c is usually zone 1.

We generally only use the bedroom 13,500 btu a/c when we need a "quick blast" of cool down, or when we're not up there. It is way too loud to sleep under, and conversation is even a challenge. (Imagine sleeping under a jet engine!) The rear 15,000btu is quite capable in most conditions, to keep us comfortable except on the hottest or muggiest days. We set it for 68 deg. It never gets there, but it does a great job trying, and definitely reduces the humidity.

Another thing that we have done to all of our campers is to close off the lower half of the screen door with plexi-glass. This way when we need to leave the main door open for a few moments, we don't lose all of the cool air at the floor. We use the sliding latch door feature on the screen door to pass out the plates and cups etc. Foam poster board would also work, but our dogs like to look out.

There is a lot to learn, but you've come to the right place. Lots of great people here, with lots of good info. Welcome to the group from Connecticut!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
travelin texans

I was going to say turn both tstats to cold/ac, set to desired temp & walk away, but after reading In Command, Electronic Comfort system, smart thermostats, zones 1&2, I realize I really liked my "stupid old fashioned" 5er with just plain old switches & thermostats.
Replacement undetermined