Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
ronheater70

2019 Cougar 369 BHS

Hi, I really wanted to ask a few questions before the fact, but I couldn't get to my email to verify before Saturday, which is the same day a put a Down Payement on a 2019 Cougar 369 BHS. We have currently a 2018 Cherokee Limited 304 BH. Its about as big as you can get without taking the step to a fifth wheel. It has been pretty problem free with a minor exception of a Slide switch needing some attention.
I suppose there is a lot to say for simplicity in my book. Im looking at the Cougar Command center and it seems like a wonderful thing, but Im also nervous a lot could go wrong. Have these been pretty reliable?

Im also not sure about the slides. I love the slides on my Cherokee, they are Hydraulic. I think the Cougar has cables, so Maybe a motor rolls them out and the cables pull it back, Not sure how it works and what periodic maintenance it needs because it is completely sealed underneath and I can not see motors, gears or anything to lube.

Seems for some reason the Cougar has Black Domestic Covers, I like white, is that something I can switch out?

Speaking of Air, this would be my first dual air unit. Do they work together to cool the whole unit, or can the rear air in the bunk run at a different temp. Sorry, stupid question but I really have no idea how the whole system works.. I think a Feature they are touting is something about both units running into the ducts to cool everything.. I dunno.

I kinda stuck with Keystone after watching some videos of the construction VS other Forest River Products. I have been Very Pleased with My Cherokeee and Shasta before that, But feel that Maybe Keystone is a slight step up from these, Maybe Im wrong. Hopefully not a step down anyway!

Anyway, Excited and nervous.. Any answers much appreciated!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I can't answer all your questions I'm sure but I'll give some a shot;

>In Comand? I don't have one but have read a lot about them. Keystone loves them but I'll let those that use them chime in.

>The motor for your cable slide is on top of the slide behind the upper facia board. You generally need to remove it to access the motor. As far as mtce. I've not had to do anything special to mine since I bought it new in 14. I did take it in once for "slide mtce." which included adjustment if needed but they didn't have to. You might search the forum for cable slide adjustment, there have been quite a few threads about it. Some have mentioned the lock nuts on the adjustment bolts either being loose, out of adjustment etc. Make sure you check that on your PDI.

>When you talk of the black covers are you talking about the AC covers. Keystone seems to love putting black covered ACs on the top. I'm sure you could buy new ones and have them changed out but I'm not sure if that would be cost effective. The dealer might possibly change them as an item in the sale but I would have them include white (or black) Maxxair vent covers as well.

>I have dual ACs but both aren't ducted so I will leave that for those that have them.

>From my experience looking at hundreds, if not thousands, of various makes/models of RVs I would personally say that dollar for dollar the Keystone seems better built to me....and they always seem to have the best floorplans...JMO.

Oh! By the way, Welcome to the forum!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
ronheater70

Well that response gets me moving anyway! Thank you for the quick reply!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
We are on our 4th Keystone product (3 Cougars and 1 Laredo). Have owned other brands and I can say we have been lucky without any major problems. (so far)
Hoping your experience is the same.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Jimbkjk5

Both ACs feed into the duct work. My rear ac is larger than the front ac. I have the rear ac set 2 degrees cooler than the front.
Jimbkjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:33 AM   #6
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
We are on our 4th Keystone product (3 Cougars and 1 Laredo). Have owned other brands and I can say we have been lucky without any major problems. (so far)
Hoping your experience is the same.
Thank you! I think in general I have been pretty happy with what I have currently and in the past. I'm hoping if I finalize the decision to get the Cougar that it wil be a similar Experience. Sounds like you have been Happy with them!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:36 AM   #7
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbkjk5 View Post
Both ACs feed into the duct work. My rear ac is larger than the front ac. I have the rear ac set 2 degrees cooler than the front.
O.k This is good Info, thanks!, So I suppose the whole camper is considered one zone then? So My daughters cant run the air on like 72 in the bunkhouse at night and the Wife and I set it at 80 in our room if we didnt want to be as chilly.. Once the inside temperature hits 72, then both units would kick on if I am understanding correctly?
Old 06-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
ronheater70

O.k next question. Is the city water connection, generally behind the front buklhead door?
This seems like what Im seeing with this general camper. SO the bulkhead door would have to remain up the entire time on the left side? So Rain, snow, Critters etc.. would have access. Am I missing something?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Firewall

I have the InCommand and it is fairly good. There are some inherent issues like the heat not triggering if it is below 40 and the AC if it is above 100. I had to do a hard reset once because the rear heat had some kind of software glitch which prevented it from running more than one cycle. Other than that it runs everything from the slides to the awning to the lights right from my phone, I really like it and there are manual overrides if never needed. Enjoy!
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
ronheater70

Thanks for the Info folks, We agreed on a price. I bring it home Saturday. Just a little nervous about the newness, but I was the same way with my 2018 Cherokee 304 BH Limited. I just hope everything works the way it is supposed to. I have had 2 pretty trouble free campers so far, and the technology on this one has me a little spooked.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
Tonkatoy77

Congratulations. I’m sure you already figured out that you don’t have to leave the understorage door open when the water is hooked up?
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:42 AM   #12
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
Congratulations. I’m sure you already figured out that you don’t have to leave the understorage door open when the water is hooked up?
I did, but purely by accident as I was watching a video on Youtube and the camera angle was just right to see the big plug in the bottom for a hose to go through!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 AM   #13
Laredo Tugger

ronheater70,
Welcome to the forum.
You have at least three great resources to accommodate your questions and concerns. This (and other) forum(s),the dealership where you made your purchase and,as you have already used, the You Tube videos. With your previous ownership experience and being "ahead" of the curve I applaud you for being proactive. As mentioned your PDI will (and should) be your best avenue for answers. My first TT purchase was from a dealer that had full hookup RV sites on their property. I had them move the trailer and help me connect it for my PDI. I ran every system on the unit overnight. Being my first RV, this really helped with familiarization and proper use of the trailer.

Your salesman should have an email for your questions and he should have direct access to the service techs for answers. If the dealer isn't too far away, you might set up an appointment with the dealer to go over the In Command,slide maintenance, the AC and other questions with a service tech who is checking a new unit for delivery. As for changing the color of the Dometic covers, that is something I am not sure of but now would be a good time to inquire with your dealer for the answer.
There are some great and helpful folks on this forum. I have learned many things from them.
Again,welcome.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
ronheater70,
Welcome to the forum.
You have at least three great resources to accommodate your questions and concerns. This (and other) forum(s),the dealership where you made your purchase and,as you have already used, the You Tube videos. With your previous ownership experience and being "ahead" of the curve I applaud you for being proactive. As mentioned your PDI will (and should) be your best avenue for answers. My first TT purchase was from a dealer that had full hookup RV sites on their property. I had them move the trailer and help me connect it for my PDI. I ran every system on the unit overnight. Being my first RV, this really helped with familiarization and proper use of the trailer.

Your salesman should have an email for your questions and he should have direct access to the service techs for answers. If the dealer isn't too far away, you might set up an appointment with the dealer to go over the In Command,slide maintenance, the AC and other questions with a service tech who is checking a new unit for delivery. As for changing the color of the Dometic covers, that is something I am not sure of but now would be a good time to inquire with your dealer for the answer.
There are some great and helpful folks on this forum. I have learned many things from them.
Again,welcome.
RMc
Thank you! We are supposed to arrive early Staurday morning for the inspection. They do not have a place I can overnight it there, but they have electric and water to check everything. I plan on testing the AC, water system for function and leaks, Heat, walk the roof, all electronics etc.. Then we will take it camping at a local campground about 30 minutes away for a shakedown run. I have been in contact with the sales person and they are helpful, Not spoken to any techs yet. All the electronics are just a tad intimidating. I plan to take good notes though!
Old 06-30-2019, 07:46 AM   #15
pdaniel

My Cougar Xlite 30RLI did not have the incommand system. But, it did have cable slides. They do need maintenance from time to time. Check cable slack and adjust by removing the facia from the slides and follow the instructions from BAL (I recommend purchasing a spare cable and tools). My Cougar had a ducted AC in the living area and non-ducted in the bedroom. I found I had to run both when it was very hot outside.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
larryflew

Your dual ac has 2 temp settings and can be run with the rear which is always ducted, the front which you can chose ducted or direct by opening or closing the mechanical louvers in the BR. Obviously open will cool just the BR and closed runs into the ducts. When in AZ on super hot days it seems like better air to run direct with a fan blowing down into the living area. On normal hot days I duct it. Evening when hot I run it open but it's noisy.

Not sure how the command center does the AV. Ours is non-command and has one thermostat with 2 sensors and 2 zone settings. I also do the lower a couple degrees above the upper unit so the upper only comes on if the can't handle it.

KEEP YOUR RETURN AIR FILTERS CLEAN!

Addition to go along with this. Since you have 2 AC units you also have 50 amp service. We had a cable made with 30 plu and 50 amp trailer connector. When traveling and it isn't going to be hot enough for dual AC it a LOT easier to run the lighter 30 than the hefty 50.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
Roy Finchville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Hi, I really wanted to ask a few questions before the fact, but I couldn't get to my email to verify before Saturday, which is the same day a put a Down Payement on a 2019 Cougar 369 BHS. We have currently a 2018 Cherokee Limited 304 BH. Its about as big as you can get without taking the step to a fifth wheel. It has been pretty problem free with a minor exception of a Slide switch needing some attention.
I suppose there is a lot to say for simplicity in my book. Im looking at the Cougar Command center and it seems like a wonderful thing, but Im also nervous a lot could go wrong. Have these been pretty reliable?

Im also not sure about the slides. I love the slides on my Cherokee, they are Hydraulic. I think the Cougar has cables, so Maybe a motor rolls them out and the cables pull it back, Not sure how it works and what periodic maintenance it needs because it is completely sealed underneath and I can not see motors, gears or anything to lube.

Seems for some reason the Cougar has Black Domestic Covers, I like white, is that something I can switch out?

Speaking of Air, this would be my first dual air unit. Do they work together to cool the whole unit, or can the rear air in the bunk run at a different temp. Sorry, stupid question but I really have no idea how the whole system works.. I think a Feature they are touting is something about both units running into the ducts to cool everything.. I dunno.

I kinda stuck with Keystone after watching some videos of the construction VS other Forest River Products. I have been Very Pleased with My Cherokeee and Shasta before that, But feel that Maybe Keystone is a slight step up from these, Maybe Im wrong. Hopefully not a step down anyway!

Anyway, Excited and nervous.. Any answers much appreciated!
I will not buy another Keystone product. 2016 27RKS fifth wheel. First trip wheel bearings failed, slide out motor failed, roof material did not adhere to submaterial and tore driving down the road, and front leveler failed. Dropped off at dealer for repair which took 4 months. Took in a month later access doors would come open while driving. 1 month later still at dealer mot fixed so I repaired. 1 month layer Stereo/cd/dvd player failed and after lengthy discussion they agreed to provide replacement if I brought in old unit and reinstalled new unit. 3 years in the floor failed and pulled loose with nails popping up thru the floor. Floor is chipboard not plywood. Since we purchased in late 2016 it has spent 14 months on dealer lot for repairs.
Keystone provides no warranty or guaranty. The Dealer is the only help you may get. Go thru every product in the trailer and submit product warranty info in your own. You will probably have to remove cover panels to get model and serial numbers. Some companies give or charge small amounts for extending warranty several years. Also had to download operating and maintenance information on products. My list continues but You get the message.
There are no regulating agencies in the RV industry looking out for the interests of the buyer. The RVIA, RV Industry Association is there to support the RV Industry not the consumer. Check their web site.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
I have the InCommand and it is fairly good. There are some inherent issues like the heat not triggering if it is below 40 and the AC if it is above 100.
Not clear from your posting if you are still tolerating this "inherent issue." It is fixable and the cause is well known -- a bad Dometic HVAC gateway unit.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #19
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Not clear from your posting if you are still tolerating this "inherent issue." It is fixable and the cause is well known -- a bad Dometic HVAC gateway unit.
I don't know that I have ever been in a camper hear where it was 100 degrees.
I'm not sure of the below 40 though.. Just have to wait and see if Im in those situations, but as you say there is a fix for it if it happens.

Was in mid 80s in a sunny parking lot when we did a walkthrough inspection Only had 30 amp service so just the 15K front air was running and the trailer seemed quite cool.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #20
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Finchville View Post
I will not buy another Keystone product. 2016 27RKS fifth wheel. First trip wheel bearings failed, slide out motor failed, roof material did not adhere to submaterial and tore driving down the road, and front leveler failed. Dropped off at dealer for repair which took 4 months. Took in a month later access doors would come open while driving. 1 month later still at dealer mot fixed so I repaired. 1 month layer Stereo/cd/dvd player failed and after lengthy discussion they agreed to provide replacement if I brought in old unit and reinstalled new unit. 3 years in the floor failed and pulled loose with nails popping up thru the floor. Floor is chipboard not plywood. Since we purchased in late 2016 it has spent 14 months on dealer lot for repairs.
Keystone provides no warranty or guaranty. The Dealer is the only help you may get. Go thru every product in the trailer and submit product warranty info in your own. You will probably have to remove cover panels to get model and serial numbers. Some companies give or charge small amounts for extending warranty several years. Also had to download operating and maintenance information on products. My list continues but You get the message.
There are no regulating agencies in the RV industry looking out for the interests of the buyer. The RVIA, RV Industry Association is there to support the RV Industry not the consumer. Check their web site.
My previous two products were Forest River.. (2017 Shasta Flyte and a 2018 Cherokee Limited 304bh) I had zero issues with the shasta, I had one blown fuse with the Cherokee and one issues with a slide switch. Relatively minor. However reading some of the stories on the fR forum you see stories as you have posted. So yes there is Good and bad and it's always the roll of the dice. Based on some stories not sure why anyone would plan to purchase any rv. But then there are people who have years of great service and are very happy. I hope I am one of those.

Tags
cougar