Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
falcondan95705

Anderson! Did thisClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	22296
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #22
LZScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
Anderson! Did thisAttachment 22296

Sorry about your window Falcondan, that was what I worried about when I first bought my fifth wheel and the main reason I bought the slider hitch. Some can get away without using one but I’m never that lucky. Murphy is always sitting on my shoulder.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #23
falcondan95705

Quote:
Thanks..since then I used a slider. Contacted Andersen. They said they would help me with my deductible... then nothing.. they did not help. Anyway, went to a long bed dually..
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #24
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZScout View Post
Sorry about your window Falcondan, that was what I worried about when I first bought my fifth wheel and the main reason I bought the slider hitch. Some can get away without using one but I’m never that lucky. Murphy is always sitting on my shoulder.
It was more than the window. Truck was dented and trailer cap damaged.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/.../#post-2464178
Old 06-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
First off I'm not an Anderson fan! I receive no compensation of any kind from them!
Secondly the Anderson hitch DID NOT do that, the driver of the truck did!
Not trying to be a smart a##, just my opinion!
But if you have a newer model 5er with the notched front corners, you apparently were at greater than 90 degrees in a short bed truck to do that damage & could've happened with any brand of non sliding hitch at that angle.
As to Anderson paying ANYTHING, I'd suspect they got a good laugh reading/listening to your request.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #26
rbrdriver

Sounded like "operator error" to me too...…...
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #27
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrdriver View Post
Sounded like "operator error" to me too...…...
Did you read story from TDR site. Outfit that sold him the hitch garrantied he would not hit the cab with his trailer.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #28
travelin texans

Still had to be at more than 90 degrees so should've been looking closely or have a spotter especially when backing from the blind side.
Was trying to say nicely the same thing, operator error!
If this is the worst thing to happen as a rv owner he'll be very fortunate! No one was hurt, other than pride, & the truck can be repaired.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #29
DucBill

Lzscout this is how I removed my hitch, had sliders (2) had Anderson, bad back, empty wallet = no hitch, no hassle.Click image for larger version

Name:	0525191344.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	22351
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #30
GBR

I have a short bed F350 and the same lift was purchased a few weeks ago. Purchased from e-trailer a pin with a ring to place in the hitch and as an attachment point for the lift pin hook. I needed to move the hitch manually a few inches forward and have the tail gate up in order to hook up. I have my spouse open the tail gate as I slowly work the hitch out of the truck. Increasing the arm length would be very nice but I think I will try a longer chain first to see if it works and/or creating a way of altering the chain angle in the initial lift from the rails. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #31
oldcrow1

remove hitch

I have always just pulled the four pins in the bed of the truck that hold down the fifth wheel and lift the hitch out of the bed with the jacks of the fifth wheel and drive the truck out. When hitching I lift the hitch up high enough to back the truck under the hitch,lower and connect the four pins.
oldcrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #32
BSHGTO

and off to the races

Quote:
I think you should call Andersen and tell them their hitch caused you to break your back window cause you were to lazy to get out and check clearances when backing, and you want them to pay for it. I would be interested in their response. I would read the installation and use instructions first. Not sure your going to like their answer.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #33
goodellj

Great idea. There is a similar hoist on sale right now at Harbor Freight Tools, but you may have to buy the leveler separately.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #34
Local150

I still lift mine in and out manually,, but not sure how much longer I can do that
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #35
Halcyon

Does this mean that this probably won’t work for my long bed 2500 Chevy, even with the extension?
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #36
falcondan95705

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
I think you should call Andersen and tell them their hitch caused you to break your back window cause you were to lazy to get out and check clearances when backing, and you want them to pay for it. I would be interested in their response. I would read the installation and use instructions first. Not sure your going to like their answer.
I guess you did not see their video of a five foot shortbed being hitched to their hitch. Read the manual?. What would YOU like to know?. Dealer guaranteed it would NEVER make contact. LAZY?. Really? You dont know me so maybe you are just new to this and not knowing me is an ignorant statement. I did call Anderson. Since you are so interested, i guess you're writing a book, they asked if their was anything they could do to help. I asked if theyd help with my deductible, crickets... So there ya go gto... The info i posted was to help others... i bet i have been doing this longer than you, so you're forgiven. I dont know why you responded to this other than to be a S.A.. Since, i have a Laramie Longhorn Dually, aisin, auto level, 4:10 its all under the bridge anyway.. I have to get my "Lazy" self up and get the rv to a tire center.. Take care.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #37
Local150

Quote:
I guess you did not see their video of a five foot shortbed being hitched to their hitch. Read the manual?. What would YOU like to know?. Dealer guaranteed it would NEVER make contact. LAZY?. Really? You dont know me so maybe you are just new to this and not knowing me is an ignorant statement. I did call Anderson. Since you are so interested, i guess you're writing a book, they asked if their was anything they could do to help. I asked if theyd help with my deductible, crickets... So there ya go gto... The info i posted was to help others... i bet i have been doing this longer than you, so you're forgiven. I dont know why you responded to this other than to be a S.A.. Since, i have a Laramie Longhorn Dually, aisin, auto level, 4:10 its all under the bridge anyway.. I have to get my "Lazy" self up and get the rv to a tire center.. Take care.
That's why they call them accidents, no need to ridicule him for a mistake, sh , as far as calling the company, I don't blame him a bit
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #38
LZScout

I’m sorry some have tried to turn this into a debate for their favorite hitches and even sorrier some have attacked others for simply relaying what they have experienced. Only the individual can decide whether they are happy with their choice, no ones comments will sway their decision once it’s been made. And before someone jumps on me, I’m sure there are exceptions to this. IMO, there is no acceptable reason to verbally attack anyone in the forum by calling then lazy or anything else.

Now if I may get back to the topic at hand and respond to the person who asked about the feasibility of using my adaptation for a long bed truck. Again, as others have warned, you have to be careful how much you extend the boom length while also considering the weight of the hitch. In my situation, the lift point of the boom is at most 4-6 “ beyond reach of the outriggers. With the amount of weight I’m lifting, it hasn’t created any instability. If you can’t make the reach from the end of the long bed truck, it may be possible to reach the hitch from the side and jockey the hitch out. I haven’t tried it yet though.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZScout View Post
I’m sorry some have tried to turn this into a debate for their favorite hitches and even sorrier some have attacked others for simply relaying what they have experienced. Only the individual can decide whether they are happy with their choice, no ones comments will sway their decision once it’s been made. And before someone jumps on me, I’m sure there are exceptions to this. IMO, there is no acceptable reason to verbally attack anyone in the forum by calling then lazy or anything else.

Now if I may get back to the topic at hand and respond to the person who asked about the feasibility of using my adaptation for a long bed truck. Again, as others have warned, you have to be careful how much you extend the boom length while also considering the weight of the hitch. In my situation, the lift point of the boom is at most 4-6 “ beyond reach of the outriggers. With the amount of weight I’m lifting, it hasn’t created any instability. If you can’t make the reach from the end of the long bed truck, it may be possible to reach the hitch from the side and jockey the hitch out. I haven’t tried it yet though.
It might also be possible to "shorten the reach distance" by removing the tail gate. That would get the hoist and boom about 18-20 inches closer to the hitch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #40
CaptnJohn

I never remove the hitch in my TV, the dealership does every 3 years when I buy a new one. My wife has a new Ford Edge and I have a 2015 250 as a hauler. Trading the 2016 f350 this time. This one and the new dually are daily drivers, hitch and all.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch