Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
Mroe67

Sliding hitch

I have a Pull-Rite sliding hitch. When not hooked to the fifth wheel we’re finding that the sliding part of the hitch slides back a forth and slams into each end as I excelerate then brake. Is there a way to lock it in place or some kind of adjustment?
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you look at the front of the frame there should be a large bolt with an octagon plate facing back. When the hitch is in the fully forward position, it should be pressing against that, and most likely it just needs adjusting.

Two 15/16” open end wrenches will do the trick. Loosen the lock but, turn the bolt and then hold it in place as you tighten the lock nut. Only turn the bolt about 1/2 turn at a time and then test. You should need both hands and a fair amount of force to “center” the hitch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
John&Tweety

Our pullrite sliding hitch has an adjustment bolt on the front. You loosen the jam nut then turn the adjustment bolt in until you have a slight resistance on the slider. The more you tighten the bolt the more resistance on the slider. It should be just tight enough to keep the slider from moving on it's own. Hope this helps.
John&Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Old Mustanger

There is a stop at the front of the hitch that needs to be adjusted so that it is very tight, almost difficult for you to manually bring the slide forward into the straight position. The hitch manual shows how to do this, this will also eliminate a good deal of chucking when adjusted properly.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Mroe67

Thanks to everyone, will try this First thing in the morning
Old 05-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
mcmeadows1

Also note, as the metals in the hitch expand and contract with changes in temperature, you will find you have to adjust the “turnable can arm assembly” to either tighten or loosen it. Because of this, I keep two, 15/16” wrenches available in the truck to adjust the assembly. It is not difficult and can be completed in a matter of two or three minutes, if that long.
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #7
Mroe67

Ok did what all of you suggested. But there is a noticeable clunk when I come to a stop, then start again. It’s a brand new hitch, so I wouldn’t think anything is worn out already. But I noticed there is a little slop when top of hitch is in the center position, between the top part of the hitch and the slide plate, I think it’s called a ware plate. Is there some kind of adjustment for that. Didn’t see anything in the manual

Tags
hitch