Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
jarnold60

Recliner Issue

Hi Everyone. I dewinterized my 2019 Montana 3790 RD today, only to discover that somehow one of the power recliners had opened up into one of the living room slides. I did not realize this until I opened the slide. The slide seemed to bind and then I saw the recliner move. I checked it out and the partially extended recliner leg rest was jammed against the slide. The recliner would not close or open with the cup holder control buttons. The leg rest was torn by the slide and apparently the recliner will not work. Has anyone heard of this happening? I only just put in the batteries and plugged in shore power today. Would this be covered by warranty as it is clearly a malfunction in the recliner? What might be the issue with the recliner not opening or closing now? Thanks.
jarnold60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
GHen

I have big straps that go around the recliners to make sure they don’t move during travel. That might help avoid a repeat situation for you.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
jarnold60

Sorry I was not clear on what happened. The recliner was strapped in, and did not move into the slide, but the recliner electrically "reclined" into the slide on it's own. There was nothing laying on the switch. I can't imagine how this could happen other than some sort of electrical surge or short when the batteries were reinstalled and shore power plugged in. thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sorry for your issue. We have recliners held by straps in the back as well. I can tell you it is 100% imperative that you watch the recliners as you pull in the slides. Not doing so "could" result in the problems you seem to have. IMO it would not be warranty work; just unfamiliarity with the system and a failure to exercise proper caution. Not being ugly but those recliners can do all sorts of stuff so we as owners have to be vigilant.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
jarnold60

I don't think I am being clear. The RV had not moved since the slide was last put in. The recliners were strapped in and did not move. This is a power recliner theatre chair and somehow the power recline was activated and the leg rest was pushed against the slide electrically. I've owned rvs with recliners before and I always checked before moving the slide but not when the rv has not moved in over 6 months. How can the power function come on without pressing the recline button which is on top of the arm rest surrounding the drink holder. when in transport position the recliners have almost a foot of clearance at the end of their travel with the strap in place. This was not the issue, it was a faulty electrical circuit that casued the chair to open on its own.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Tbos

My only thought is for some reason there was a surge when you applied power.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
jarnold60

My thoughts as well. The recliner is plugged into a surge protected power bar. I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this happening. thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnold60 View Post
I don't think I am being clear. The RV had not moved since the slide was last put in. The recliners were strapped in and did not move. This is a power recliner theatre chair and somehow the power recline was activated and the leg rest was pushed against the slide electrically. I've owned rvs with recliners before and I always checked before moving the slide but not when the rv has not moved in over 6 months. How can the power function come on without pressing the recline button which is on top of the arm rest surrounding the drink holder. when in transport position the recliners have almost a foot of clearance at the end of their travel with the strap in place. This was not the issue, it was a faulty electrical circuit that casued the chair to open on its own.
If there is some way you can document or validate that is what happened and if you're still within the 1 year warranty, you may be able to get the furniture manufacturer to honor the repair/replacement. Keystone is not the warranty holder on the furniture, although they will process the claim during the first year. You will likely "hit a brick wall" with Keystone unless you have "undeniable proof" that the chair malfunctioned, and even then you may find it easier to work with the furniture manufacturer.

If, on the other hand, your "suspicion is that the chair must have opened on its own because you didn't activate it," well, I don't think you'll get very far with Keystone or the furniture manufacturer.

All I can say is good luck, have your "ducks in a row" and hope for the best.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:56 AM   #9
Tbos

I’ve been on the forum for a couple years and don’t believe I’ve seen anyone with this issue.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 AM   #10
66joej

Kind of after the fact but we always unplug any AC electrically controlled items before extending/retracting slides.
Hope you can get some warranty on this issue.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
jarnold60

Thanks everyone. Yes in hindsight unplugging the recliners will be a must in the future. I never would have thought it would be an issue. I won't hold my breath on the warranty claim. Any reasonable person when they see the set up would realize there are two possibilities, 1, the recliner opened on it's own into the closed slide, or 2, I intentionally opened the recliner into the closed slide. The chair controls are on the arm rest and are touch controls. As soon as your finger is off the button the motor stops. Based on the fact that nothing works now one would assume the motor continued to run and either burned out or a circuit breaker kicked off. I will try the chair manufacturer and see if I have any luck. Based on recent experience with Keystone warranty claims (toilet seal leaking 2 weeks after purchase of new unit), and Keystone not authorizing replacement of the seal as the service centre could not duplicate the problem in the 2 hour service visit, I won't have much luck with keystone.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #12
gearhead

I would run it by the dealer and be sure they understand, take pics, etc., and see what Keystone says.
I would be shopping for new recliners though. If yours are anything like ours their lifespan is pretty short. Ours, the recline mechanism broke first year, covered by warranty; now the "leather" is disintegrating. Slip covers from Amazon covered it up.
Looking at used 5ths, most of them over 3 years old have after market furniture.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
jarnold60

Thanks. The recliners do seem rather cheaply built.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #14
jarnold60

Well what a surprise. It appears Keystone will cover all repairs under warranty!