Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
papi

2nd air prep.

My 2016 Cougar has 2nd Air conditioning prep. I know what it is but, what is it? What is included? What makes it prep? sorry for all the questions. I am going to have the dealer install a second air but I would like to know before I go. Thanks

2016 Keystone Cougar 339BHS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, DWR
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Roof supported in that area and 110V Ac wiring provided and Possibly thermostat wire (usually not)

ADDED; IS IT going to be duct less????
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
papi

That is actually one of my questions. does the prep includes ducts, Or does it have to be ductless. :confused

Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Not sure about new ones, but most as you can see by our resent posts on adding a second AC they have been ductless. Just pop in that hole and connect the 110 VAC As you probably know by my posts on this subject I think it a bad solution adding a second AC to help cool the rig when all it does is blow in the bedroom. As you have read others add a fan to help get that cold air into the rest of the rig.

I sure hope they make available an add on ducted unit in the future so ducts would also be there when you add the second unit. Think I seen an ad for think it was keystone where it was like a race track with AC units on each curve. Looked like in that configuration adding a second would help entire rig.

My guess yours will be a duct less
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:47 AM   #5
Frank G

This thread has exposed some interesting thoughts about how the manufacture handles the second air conditioner. If you get a second air conditioner installed at the factory as an option is it ducted? Our Laredo came this way and it has it's own thermostat in the bedroom. When we get it back from the dealer it we will find out. This leads me to believe that whatever the factory does for the ducting on second unit it is the same no matter who installs the second air conditioner, factory or otherwise. To continue, I find it difficult to find construction practices on some models and great video's on others. Same goes for literature. I have seen detailed "Race Track" drawings for some models, and absolutely no information on the next. So... if you are more concerned with the engineering and build of your unit and not the eye appeal (like myself) good luck. Yes, the DW got her pick.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:08 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

This discussion brings up some very good information about differences in trailers (and also some similarities). It's common to believe that everything from a manufacturer should include the same kind of construction, but that's not always what happens. Some of the features are "exclusive" to one brand within the Keystone family while many are included in every trailer they produce regardless of brand.

It's much like comparing a Lincoln Town Car to a Ford Crown Victoria, and if you are old enough, a Mercury Grand Marquis. They all are produced by Ford Motor Company, but each is an individual brand and "caters" to a specific type of buyer. All of them are "basically the same frame" but as the price grows, so does the list of "features"....

Within Keystone, it's the same. While a 38' Laredo, a 38' Cougar, a 38' Fuzion and a 38' Montana may all use the same chassis and many of the same components (pinbox, axles, windows, doors, appliances, etc) they can be constructed very differently. For instance, the cargo door on the Fuzion gives it a very different "rear end" and the "drop front chassis rails" give the Montana and Alpine a significantly larger front storage area and taller bedroom.

The "race-track" ducting system was (it may not even be available on current models, I haven't checked) a "key feature" on the Laredo, it wasn't available on Cougar models with the same or similar floorplans.

Just as rear seat A/C ducting was standard on the Town Car, optional on the Grand Marquis and not available on the Crown Victoria, features change, sometimes dramatically, on different brands within the Keystone product line.

So, if something is important enough to be a "deal breaker" or even a "significant disappointment", be certain to include that into the considerations when you look at different Keystone products. Ask specific questions of the dealer, make sure you verify the important details and don't take for granted that it'll be there on the model you choose. Just because "Keystone offers it in one brand" doesn't make it available or included in any other brand they produce. Sometimes, for marketing purposes, a feature may be "brand exclusive" on one trailer line and only available on select models. That's the way the Mor-Ryde system first started on Montana fifth wheels and the way "self adjusting brakes" are on only the Premium and Luxury trailers today. Those features may "creep" into the lower lines, but they aren't available on everything Keystone produces. Neither is the "A/C ducting for both air conditioners. Often it doesn't make any difference whether the front A/C is factory installed or dealer installed. If ducting isn't a part of the lineup, it won't be available no matter where the "optional A/C" is installed.

Do your homework on what's important before you sign on the dotted line.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
As you probably know by my posts on this subject I think it a bad solution adding a second AC to help cool the rig when all it does is blow in the bedroom. As you have read others add a fan to help get that cold air into the rest of the rig.
I think if the 2nd AC is to help cool the entire trailer then common ducting for both ACs would be beneficial. For us, a cool to cold bedroom is what we like so the 2nd 13.5 non-ducted AC in the bedroom works great. Far better than "sort of cool" throughout the trailer. When we're up and going a "sort of cool" trailer can be dealt with and if we want it cooler we just turn on the bedroom AC and put a fan (as you mentioned) in the door and problem solved.
We got the MorRyde suspension and self adjusting brakes, just no ducts for a 2nd AC
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
NorskeBob

My last RV was a Crossroads product (CF335SS) and it came with 2nd air prep - wiring and thermostat (Dometic Programmable Thermostat) for two zone settings - zone 2 was the bedroom. There was a temp sensor located in the bedroom for zone 2. We did not have the AC installed - had a fantastic fan installed - reversible with a thermostat. Use the fan to pull air through the RV when the AC was not needed. AC was ductless.

In the summer a single AC would not keep to RV cool when outside temp was over 80 degrees or if the RV was in the sun all day. But at least it kept the humidity down.

Our new rig has the 2nd air installed - separate thermostat in the bedroom. We had a fantastic fan installed in the bathroom (reversible with a thermostat). We will run it when the 2nd AC is not needed - which is allot of the time in Upstate NY.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi View Post
My 2016 Cougar has 2nd Air conditioning prep. I know what it is but, what is it? What is included? What makes it prep? sorry for all the questions. I am going to have the dealer install a second air but I would like to know before I go. Thanks

2nd ac prep generally means the camper is pre-wired (120 vac) and has a hole with framing already in place... usually a vent or light is in the hole.

It could mean it is pre-wired for a thermostat, but often not.

Keystone Laredo's "race track" is the only ducting system I know of that would have a 2nd ac connected to a duct.

I have 3 air conditioners: one is connected to the ducting with wall thermostat and the other two are just straight-dump without wall thermostats (thermostat is on unit).

With the small ducts that are in these campers, I don't rely on them much. Of course with 3, I don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think if the 2nd AC is to help cool the entire trailer then common ducting for both ACs would be beneficial. For us, a cool to cold bedroom is what we like so the 2nd 13.5 non-ducted AC in the bedroom works great. Far better than "sort of cool" throughout the trailer. When we're up and going a "sort of cool" trailer can be dealt with and if we want it cooler we just turn on the bedroom AC and put a fan (as you mentioned) in the door and problem solved.
We got the MorRyde suspension and self adjusting brakes, just no ducts for a 2nd AC
Yeah.. My Cougar doesn't have the bedroom A/C ducted either... But like you said that ain't all bad... with two 15K units we usually just turn on the bedroom unit while we're watching TV or talking in the evening... Rarely will we turn on both units except in the heat of the day...
Old 04-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
papi

I am going to my seosonal site to open the camper this weekend. Finally camping season is open here in IL. I will investigate what the prep is all about. We are going on a road trip in July and we will be spending a week in Destin FL. Last time we were there one AC was not enough. The question is, Is it worth it to get a second A/C unit? should I go with a 15 or a 13.5? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #12

I just did it in my 2016 cougar 336. Had second ac prep. Prep is basically as stated before. Access to a power source and a supported ceiling box. No thermostat provisions. No ducting. So the second ac just blows in the bedroom. Which is fine on my unit. Other ac is in great back and it was having a hard time pushing cold air all the way to the front. I called my dealer he wanted $1500 to add the second ac. I got all the parts and did the job in about 5 hrs for $500. Nothing more complicated than wiring an outlet. Some heavy lifting. And lots of time pulling lap sealant off the roof.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #13
papi

Did you get a 15 or. 13.5?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #14

I got The Brisk Air II 13.5. That was what comes factory on the unit if you order double Ac
Old 04-15-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
Dave W

Somewhere on this forum you will find my project adding the second a/c to our 5er.

You should see a plastic plate covered hole in the ceiling near the vent. It may or may not have a box - ours did not. I added an old work box, used a 20 amp plug receptacle as a terminal strip for the supplied wire nutted 110VAC service. It was not ducted nor was there any 'stat wiring. I then installed a Dometic 13.5 Btu Penguin, being the lowest profile unit available. Between the two a/c units, the 5er stayed cool on 100* plus days in Nevada.

Plan it well and the job goes quickly. You need the a/c roof unit, the inside control panel, possibly a box, a 2-3 foot length of 12awg wire and someone young and strong to help you get the 95 pound roof unit 13 feet up. The roof vent and DICOR removal are really what take the longest time. My cost for everything was about $650 as I added the heat strip as well which was a good choice for those chilly spring or fall mornings.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #16
papi

I checked mine on the weekend and yes you all are right. Is not ducted. I am going have the dealer do it because the light, the tv and antena outlet, the ducted air vent, and one of the vent pipe on the roof are all to close to the vent where the second air will go. I am getting a Domestic brisk air 13.5 installed for 850. They can have the headache to figure this one out. Thanks for all of your advises.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi View Post
I checked mine on the weekend and yes you all are right. Is not ducted. I am going have the dealer do it because the light, the tv and antena outlet, the ducted air vent, and one of the vent pipe on the roof are all to close to the vent where the second air will go. I am getting a Domestic brisk air 13.5 installed for 850. They can have the headache to figure this one out. Thanks for all of your advises.

Your thoughts were exactly what mine were. Why fight trying to install the thing. I paid a little less than $900 (I may have even got the $39 install back then, but I don't think it was more than $99). Seems like a deal to me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
Frank G

Interesting thread, but I need to provide a update. This afternoon I turned on the second (optional) air conditioner in the bedroom and found that it is ducted. You never know how they build them. Was that done at the factory because they installed the 2nd AC, who knows.

2017 Lerado 325RL Built 11/6/2016
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Interesting thread, but I need to provide a update. This afternoon I turned on the second (optional) air conditioner in the bedroom and found that it is ducted. You never know how they build them. Was that done at the factory because they installed the 2nd AC, who knows.

2017 Lerado 325RL Built 11/6/2016

Laredo campers have a "racetrack", which is an interesting implementation. It allows you to run either ac (main or 2nd) or both at the same time and route cool air throughout the camper. The racetrack design runs in a circle so the two ac units do not fight each other, they work together. I love the idea. Of course after seeing how crappy the ductwork is in campers, I wonder how good it works. I almost bought a Laredo because of the racetrack, however I bought an Outback instead (for other features, not because of anything bad of the Laredo).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
NealBlue

Here is something else to muddle it up. My 2016 Laredo has the factory installed 2nd a/c in the bedroom. It also has the "racetrack" ducting. But, my second unit is not ducted. The "racetrack" makes a u-turn just before the second unit.