Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
dherod

Rubber Roof Maintenance?

Hi - What thoughts do people have about maintenance of the rubber roof? CW obviously sells various products - but some people say they're a waste of money and you don't need to do anything to a rubber roof - supposedly not ever.

That seems a little extreme to me - but I'm a new owner and basically don't know anything. We live in CO and have more UV radiation than some other parts of the country.

Thanks - Dan
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
geo

Rubber Roof Maintenance

Flyguy will be here shortly with a link to his website that has a couple of excellent articles about rubber roof maintenance. If you look at his profile under Community > Member's List, you will find that URL. He has amassed an online library of great information!

On my fiver, I first inspect the roof to see if I need to seal any cracks, etc. I wash it using Borax, water, and a soft brush I got at CW named "Rubber Roof Brush". Once the roof is washed and rinsed, the joyous job of washing the sides starts.

You might want to be aware, when you go down to the grocery for Borax, Dial Corporation has changed the box label! It took me a good 10 minutes and three trips up and down the aisle to finally find this white box sans the twenty mule team! This is a sacrilege! First they replaced the Old Ranger with Ronald Reagan on "Death Valley Days", and then took the show off the air! And now, there is no twenty mule team on the Borax box. Next thing you know, you won't be able to find a pay phone!!!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Jim W

I inspect and wash the rubber roof twice a year, re-caulk as required. In the spring and than again in the fall. This helps to keep the black streaks from occurring on the side of the camper.
I tend to buy the rubber roof cleaner that is sold by CW and other supply houses. This has a rubber roof conditioner in it, that helps prolong the life of the rubber roof.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
therink

Scrub roof 2X yr with borax and dawn. Check seams and dicor as needed. Not much more IMO that needs to be done. Doing this way for years and no issues. This is coming from a perfectionist.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #5
dherod

Thanks everyone! Off to find some 20 Mule Team borax.....minus the mule team! I've learned so much from this forum. I'll have to get myself some of the proper materials on my next trip to CW also (dicor & other sealants). I think I'll get some of their roof treatment as well after I clean it. Probably can't hurt. Thanks again!
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
geo

Look on your roof products!

Dan -

When you go shopping for treatments, etc., for a rubber roof, spend a few minutes browsing the instructions and warnings on the package. If it says ANYTHING about petroleum distillates, petroleum solvents, or citric agents - do NOT buy it and do not use it on your rubber roof! There are plenty of informational threads on the forum that will fully explain this, just click on "SEARCH". Dicor does make a lap sealant without petroleum distillates, but you will be surprised how many rubber roof products at CW have distillates! Keep looking through the shelves, you will find the correct products . . . and do the Search.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
First they replaced the Old Ranger with Ronald Reagan on "Death Valley Days", and then took the show off the air! And now, there is no twenty mule team on the Borax box. Next thing you know, you won't be able to find a pay phone!!!

Ron
I can't remember where I put the crank handle for the stabilizers but I remember this !!! Next ,you're going to tell me you can't use dimes in those pay phones.
The Borax works well but last fall I used the pressure washer as I have seen them do on park models and it did a nice job in a ¼ of the time. I think I may alternate cleaning methods between Borax and pressure washer.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Flyguy

Here's the link to the "Rubber Roof Maintenance" folder on my homepage: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Rubber%2...0Maintainance/ You can download and save these if you wish. I have found that Boarax powder and warm water is all that's needed. The EPDM rubber roofs are designed to last about 15 to 20 years if maintained properly. Have Fun!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
RGwelch

I'm reviving this old thread here as I'm looking to clean my Passport 23RB roof for the first time. Does anyone have an updated link to Flyguy's PDF on roofcleaning? It seems the link he gave in this thread is dead.

Also, since this thread is from 8 years ago, and my trailer is new, what are the current opinions on cleaning a rubber roof? I was looking at either using Spic'n'span or Borax and then treating with 303 Protectant. But I've seen some references to not bother with a protectant and some even say not bother with anything other than sweeping leaves off the roof.
RGwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Spic n span is good. Dawn is good but will remove wax from sides. There are several new posts on this topic. The roof membranes are not rig specific, so just search for roof cleaning.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Hank those payphones still take dimes. You can find one at any Blockbuster, Radio Shack, or Heath Craft store.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #12
gearhead

Wet & Forget works for me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGwelch View Post
I'm reviving this old thread here as I'm looking to clean my Passport 23RB roof for the first time. Does anyone have an updated link to Flyguy's PDF on roofcleaning? It seems the link he gave in this thread is dead.

Also, since this thread is from 8 years ago, and my trailer is new, what are the current opinions on cleaning a rubber roof? I was looking at either using Spic'n'span or Borax and then treating with 303 Protectant. But I've seen some references to not bother with a protectant and some even say not bother with anything other than sweeping leaves off the roof.

Here's a link that provides some good info:

You can do as much, or as little, as you want to the roof but like anything else you get out of it what you put into it. The roof WILL deteriorate from exposure to the sun and elements and the procedures outlined in the video will definitely prolong not only the looks but the life of the roof.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGwelch View Post
I'm reviving this old thread ...
Also, since this thread is from 8 years ago, and my trailer is new, what are the current opinions on cleaning a rubber roof? ....
You're right, this thread is 8 years old and "things change"...

Back then, EPDM roofing material was the "norm" for most travel trailers. In 2012-2015, most manufacturers stopped using EPDM (white coated, black rubber roofing) and started using TPO (solid color plastic roofing). That's the reference to pay phones, Radio Shack and if I might be so "bold", EPDM roofs on travel trailers. You simply won't find a "rubber roof" on any trailer built by Keystone.

The two are entirely different in construction, but have the same "intended purpose/use" of covering the OSB/Plywood roof decking to protect it from water intrusion.

While some (actually most) of the maintenance is the same, there are some subtle differences in the sealant used to reseal the openings and edges of TPO roofing.

You've received some good advice and keeping the roof clean is essential, but even more important is keeping the roof inspected and sealed to prevent leaks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're right, this thread is 8 years old and "things change"...

Back then, EPDM roofing material was the "norm" for most travel trailers. In 2012-2015, most manufacturers stopped using EPDM (white coated, black rubber roofing) and started using TPO (solid color plastic roofing).
Thanks. I came here precisely because I had this question.

I well remember the EPDM roof on my previous rig -- it had that "balloony" feel to it. Today, I dragged out the ladder and started to clean my slide roof for the first time (which I have to get done first in order to close the rig so I can reach the main roof), and the covering looked like tan plasticized wallpaper, so I came here to figure out what Keystone used for roofing.

I went after it with a long-handled brush and the auto-type cleaner I had (Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo). I couldn't get a lot of leverage with the brush from a ladder. I switched to a hand scrub brush, which did an OK job as far as I could reach, but that was only the outer half of the slide. I don't have a power washer, and wouldn't dare use one on the slide anyway, for fear of soaking the inside through the rubber wipers.

I think a better product would have given me better results. Is there an outstanding recommended one for TPO?

Oh yeah, one more question. Everybody's advice is full of "stay away from petroleum distillates." I spent some time in NH last month and was reintroduced to the joys of sap. When I ask the web how to get sap off an RV roof, the advice I see is to dip a rag in mineral spirits and rub the spot. Is that really recommended, or what else should I use?
Old 10-30-2019, 06:21 PM   #16
gearhead

Eternabond makes an aerosol cleaner that says it removes sap. I think it is mostly a prep for applying Eternabond patches.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #17
LHaven

Thanks for the pointer. The company says their cleaner contains a "proprietary mixture of hot solvents" so I requested their MSDS to find out precisely what that means.

I see that the recommendation for Murphy's Oil Soap is validated by no less than Trailer Life, so I believe I will be using that for the general (after-sap) cleaning.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
Logan X

Here is my 2c on roof cleaning and maintenance

https://youtu.be/KlhVYQgVVM8
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Thanks for the pointer. The company says their cleaner contains a "proprietary mixture of hot solvents" so I requested their MSDS to find out precisely what that means.

I see that the recommendation for Murphy's Oil Soap is validated by no less than Trailer Life, so I believe I will be using that for the general (after-sap) cleaning.
The Eternabond Aerosol Cleaner MSDS is located here: https://www.jewettroofing.com/wp-con...Clean-MSDS.pdf

Looks to me like it's Acetone and heptane, pressurized with CO2. Nothing you can't buy at Ace Hardware by the quart in the paint and solvents department (without the CO2 and Heptane)... Pour a little on a rag, rub GENTLY on the pine tar spot and then wipe with a cloth wetted with "plain water".....

ADDED: Thinking about it after making this post, I'm not certain that Acetone would be safe to use on the TPO membrane. I've never used it on TPO, but use it regularly on the metal surfaces on my RV. For the TPO roof, I use Simple Green mixed 1:4 (4 parts water, 1 part SG) and scrub the roof with that. I have sprayed SG full strength on some tough to remove spots. If SG doesn't work, the "Roof Maintenance Manual" https://dicorproducts.com/images/RudysRoofbook_16.pdf says to use mineral spirits on a rag (in limited areas) and not to leave it on the surface for a prolonged time. I've always thought, "It's the roof, nobody sees it, why be anal about keeping it clean?" My belief is that the more I scrub with things that dissolve the membrane, the shorter its life.... Since it's out of sight/out of mind, why focus on keeping it spotless ???? YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:00 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Here is my 2c on roof cleaning and maintenance

https://youtu.be/KlhVYQgVVM8
Car wax is a hydrocarbon? I had no idea. I thought it came from South American trees, like Folgers or Hershey's. Luckily, the product I grabbed today says "shampoo and cleaner" and not a thing about wax (other than claiming that it won't remove it).