Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
moosemobile

New to forum and we have a problem

Hi everyone. We just bought a 2008 Montana 3485SA Fifth Wheel with an Artic Package. We pull it with a 2013 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD.

5 years ago Eric had bought a 1985 Motor home that we fixed up cosmetically and that began our RV camping. From there we went to a Gulf Stream Innsbruck 5th wheel. I am currently working out of state and have been living in it, but with winter coming up I needed something different.

We set up the Montana yesterday and all seemed to be working fine. This morning I realized that it was leaking fresh water from the tank hook up at the back of the camper. I checked the gauge and the fresh water tank was filled up even though we were connected to City Water. The toggle switch was NOT set to "fill" it was set to direct flow. The water pump was turned off. Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Other than that....I love this camper! It's a lot roomier and has an electric fire place. But we do need to get this resolved.

Thank you and I look forward to getting to know your group.
moosemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
GaryWT

Hi and welcome to the forum. Not familiar with your unit and a toggle switch as I have one connection for city water and a different fill for the water tank. To me it sounds like a bad check valve at the pump letting water run into the tank. Other than that it could be the valve that it controlled by your toggle switch.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
moosemobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. Not familiar with your unit and a toggle switch as I have one connection for city water and a different fill for the water tank. To me it sounds like a bad check valve at the pump letting water run into the tank. Other than that it could be the valve that it controlled by your toggle switch.
Hi Gary and thanks for your reply. We do also have a separate place to gravity fill the fresh water tank. We don't know anything about "check valves" so it's something for us to look into. I did mess with the toggle switch. When I turn it on, it's makes a pumping noise that we don't hear when it's off. So I'm guessing that it's not that.

I appreciate your response!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemobile View Post
Hi Gary and thanks for your reply. We do also have a separate place to gravity fill the fresh water tank. We don't know anything about "check valves" so it's something for us to look into. I did mess with the toggle switch. When I turn it on, it's makes a pumping noise that we don't hear when it's off. So I'm guessing that it's not that.

I appreciate your response!
Welcome to the forum. What you are calling a "toggle" appears to be the pump switch. Leave that off when connected to city water. It does sound like a check valve - fairly common issue. It will be a solid, white connection in the water line from the fresh water tank, not hard to spot or replace. Before cold weather, I would encourage you to do a search on the forum concerning "arctic package", or "polar" or "glacier". You might also search for "cold weather camping". If you are in ND, I would encourage you to search now.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
moosemobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Welcome to the forum. What you are calling a "toggle" appears to be the pump switch. Leave that off when connected to city water. It does sound like a check valve - fairly common issue. It will be a solid, white connection in the water line from the fresh water tank, not hard to spot or replace. Before cold weather, I would encourage you to do a search on the forum concerning "arctic package", or "polar" or "glacier". You might also search for "cold weather camping". If you are in ND, I would encourage you to search now.

Ron
Thank you Ron. I am not in ND...whew. I'm in Nebraska so I have a little time. We've actually done quite a bit of research on winter camping before deciding to buy this camper. I'm sure I'll still have questions though.

Off that topic...How to you get a signature on your posts? I thought I had us signed as Eric and Lori, but turns out I "tagged" that?? I'm new to forums.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Jca3

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemobile View Post
Thank you Ron. I am not in ND...whew. I'm in Nebraska so I have a little time. We've actually done quite a bit of research on winter camping before deciding to buy this camper. I'm sure I'll still have questions though.

Off that topic...How to you get a signature on your posts? I thought I had us signed as Eric and Lori, but turns out I "tagged" that?? I'm new to forums.
I had a heck of a time with the signature for awhile. Under User CP there is edit signature, edit avatar etc.
Also, we started our camping adventures in Nebraska with a Jayco Quest. Took it to nearly every state park in the state. We moved it out West and used it in the mountains and coasts. We wanted a longer camping season so purchased a Laredo with the heated underbelly. Sure miss the Quest kitchen and especially the refrigerator. It was a good one. Other than that we are happy with the Laredo. I bet you will love that Montana. It does take getting a few bugs out with new trailers.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

moosemobile
To add/edit signature ---- Go into User CP (Control Panel), go down to Settings >>>> Edit Signature. Follow the instruction in this link. You should be good to go.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
moosemobile

It was the check valve. It is now fixed. Apparently he found some hydraulic fluid from the slide outs that was leaking...so he'll be back tomorrow.

Thank you all for responding to my question!

Tags
eric and lori