Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
John&Genny

Avalanche Replacement Window

So on the way to Yellowstone yesterday we had one of our side frameless windows shatter. They were doing some construction on the highway from Missoula where it was pretty rough driving at times.

This is a two piece window, the upper part is solid, the bottom has a crank where you can pop out the bottom for some fresh air. Upon inspecting the window, it doesn't look to be too hard to replace it yourself. A bunch of square head screws looks to keep the frame in place, and then perhaps some adhesive around the edge on the outside.

What I'm curious about is whether or not you can just replace the small pop-out section on the bottom without replacing the whole window? In looking on the Trekwood RV site, it seems it might be possible:

Window Vent Section Only

I thought perhaps one of our community RV experts (Chuck, John, etc.) might be able to advise

Also, I haven't been able to find any instructions online on how to replace the vent section so if you have any links to share, that would be appreciated.

If I have to, I'll replace the whole window, but always looking for cheaper alternatives
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_Window.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	28711  
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might find a local glass company that will order and install a replacement lower section. Otherwise, it's "order a complete window assembly"... Might as well contact your insurance company if that's the case. You're looking at several hundred to even thousand dollars if you hire a service center to replace it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

John has given you excellent advise. If you do end up having to replace the entire window, your on the right track. You just remove the squarehead screws on the inside frame and remove the window. Pay attention to what material is used to seal the frame, and when/if you put a new window in, put a couple screws at each corner first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
John&Genny

Looks like the vent section is replaceable on it’s own, which would certainly be cheaper and easier than replacing the entire window. Check out this video from Lippert:

https://support.lci1.com/videos/3000...or-replacement

Like I mentioned previously, it looks like Trekwood RV carries the vent section of the windows. And I might be able to get one directly from Lippert whom I will be calling tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
DMK

Wondering if your window replacement experience is as frustrating as mine has been.

A few years ago LCI bought Kinro who manufactured the windows in my Keystone Raptor.

I have had two different windows break in my unit, both had to be made to order (took roughly 5 weeks). One window was the non vented window next to the entry door (had to remove window to view part number tag which is located on window frame along the edge so the whole window frame has to come out to see it!) then it took over a month to have it made and shipped! Second window just a few weeks ago one of the garage vented escape windows was broken sometime during travel. You would think dealers would stock one or two of these! Again after contacting LCI, It was almost as much to have a glass made as a whole new window manufactured and a 5 week ETA on either!

I'm sure Keystone has several on the assembly line, but they wouldn't sell me one of those and no luck with the salvage yards, they all said you needed to be there to look at them in person! (Was in AZ at the time, most of the RV salvage places that had windows were in IN) Very frustrating, especially when you full time in one of these units! Just hope you never break one!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
John&Genny

DMK: The frustrating thing for me was getting a straight answer from the dealers. My local dealer and Trekwood kept insisting I had to purchase the entire window at a cost of $435 plus shipping, which probably would have been another $200 to $300. From the LCI video I posted above, I knew there were lower cost alternatives and I was determined to find it.

But just try to find LCI part numbers anywhere for the rigs. Good luck with that. I think they are more closely guarded secrets than many in our military.

Finally when I was doing a search I came across the following document concerning a recall on the 3000 series LCI windows. After I got to looking over the document, I said "BINGO!!", it was exactly what I needed:

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0003781.pdf

I knew the Window size was 18 x 48 x 17 and a single vent (SV) window. So going down the list, I found part numbers V000341609 as the main window, and the sash which I was looking for as part number V000342006.

So next, I called LCI Customer Service and told them I needed the part listed above, they transferred me to a nice person in their part sales, who informed me they had those in stock and it was $128.66 plus shipping ($29.44) for a total of $158.10. A considerable savings from what my dealer and Trekwood were trying to charge.

The sash came in about a week, and with the help of the DW, we followed the video and had the sash replaced in about an hour. It would have been quicker but I had never used a pop-riveter before so I had to figure that out first

Perhaps I'm just cheap, but many of us can perform simple DIY projects and I knew I could do the sash, but getting the information I needed just so I could order the damn part was the most challenging thing of the whole project.

John