Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
ticaboodan

Opinion: Levelers Down duriogn Storing?

Asking for opinions, we have a 2018 Avalanche with auto levelers and it is stored in my yard. Do you leave all levelers down during 6 months of storage when not being used? Pulls the weight of off the tires and leaves lines pressurized. I have done both ways but looking to see what others do
Thanks
Dan
ticaboodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Frank G

I have electric levelers and always leave them down for storage. In the hydraulic world I have always been schooled to leave hydraulic systems in a unpressurized neutral position. This reasoning is mostly for safety.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
ticaboodan

Frank
when you say "down" and "unpressurized neutral position" I am a little confused
Down would be leveling the unit?? Or do you mean up and no pressure?
ticaboodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Frank G

Lets try and clarify what I said.

1. I have electric leveling jacks and store the fifth wheel with the jacks down
and the unit level.

2. I have no Idea how you should store your unit with hydraulic jacks. In my hydraulic training I have always been instructed to store hydraulic equipped machinery with the power off and depressurized. This is the best safety practice.

Let me ask and add. Have you consulted your instruction manual? I am sure you will find people that store with the jacks down and unit level and think nothing of it. What is the difference if you park the unit for 6 months and live in it or store it for 6 months all with the jacks down.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Frank has electric jacks so there isn’t an “unpressurized” position. You can leave the 4 hydraulic jacks used for leveling up and you’ll be ok.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
ChuckS

With the hyd type of leveling jacks.. specifically Lippert six point the hyd lines and leveling legs are ALWAYS pressurized whether the legs are up or down. Hyd pressure is what holds the pistons retracted.

My preference is I have all six down and the rig leveled. I apply a light coat of AW32 to the exposed piston cylinders and wipe off prior to first retraction at start of our RVing season...

I also retract and extend my levelers and front LG legs 2 or 3 times during the off season as well as my hyd slides..

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on where you store your RV, you might find a "rule" concerning stabilizers/jacks. Most storage facilities request/require that trailers are stored with jacks UP. They do this for several reasons, primarily so they can move your trailer in the event of an emergency or to facilitate parking other rigs. While most storage facilities don't "haphazardly move rigs around", there is a valid concern with getting rigs away from an accident or a fire. In that kind of situation, having the jacks UP can mean the difference between your rig being damaged from bent jacks or burned because they couldn't move it out of the way.

If you're parked at home or on your own property, if you remove the batteries, consider that you can't move it without reinstalling the batteries so you can raise the jacks.

Jacks DOWN gives 4 or 6 extra "mouse access routes".

As for "which way is best "mechanically" as long as you keep the jack rams "wiped down to prevent corrosion" I don't think it really matters much whether they're up or down.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote