Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
CrazyCain

brown glue lines on ceiling?

I have noticed these brown lines on the ceiling of my Trailer. They are where each joist beam is for the ceiling. Thinking that is the glue showing up, no soft spots or anything.Checked roof seams a few weeks ago and all is in good shape up there..... Hope the pictures show them.. we do use the trailer a lot in the winter.....thoughts oh wise ones!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_115225.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	25276   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_115231.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	25277   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_115358.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	25278  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I can't see anything in your photos but sometimes the putty used to fill the staple holes will turn a little brown and depending on how it was applied (smeared) it may appear as you describe. Mild dish detergent on a soft rag will usually wipe off the brown and still leave enough putty to hide the hole. We never had it in the bedroom or bath, only in the living area so I suspect it is from cooking, but that is just a guess. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I can't see anything in your photos but sometimes the putty used to fill the staple holes will turn a little brown and depending on how it was applied (smeared) it may appear as you describe. Mild dish detergent on a soft rag will usually wipe off the brown and still leave enough putty to hide the hole. We never had it in the bedroom or bath, only in the living area so I suspect it is from cooking, but that is just a guess. Hope this helps, Hank

Could be just thatn Hank, it is pretty consistent though out the whole ceiling. If you can tilt your screen to darken the picture, you will see them.. Thanks for the reply..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 02-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Tom,

I downloaded your photos, blew them up as much as I could and all I see is "rust stain on the putty over the staples". That rust stain will permeate the luan plywood, usually running along the wood grain. Once the rust migrates down the luan grain, it spreads "cross grain" with any humidity that's in the ceiling. The white surface on the ceiling panels is "cheap, thin vinyl" and is pretty much "waterproof" so what's there is likely humidity between the ceiling panel and the roof decking. It's not enough to vent, not enough to cause any "water damage" but is enough to cause the staples to rust and that rust is what I think you're seeing...

Also, the putty that Keystone uses is not waterproof, so as it absorbs moisture, the putty keeps the staples "moist enough to rust" adding to the problem. You can use clear fingernail polish, etc, to coat the putty to slow down the moisture, but then you'll have "shiny spots on the trim panels" so it's a "double edge sword with no good solution"...

How to fix it ??? This summer, on a hot, dry (low humidity) day, when the "sun is hot and bakes everything, remove the light fixtures and any other "holes into the ceiling" (like the roof vent plastic shrouds, etc. Turn off the A/C, open all the windows and let "mother nature dry everything out" as much as possible. Close it up before dark, once the humidity starts to rise, it'll start soaking up the lost moisture....

Alternatively, plan a 2 or 3 week trip to the desert in June or July. EVERYTHING in the trailer, (you included) will dry out completely

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
CrazyCain

Thanks John, good advice and info also. At least it isn't going to do any "water damage"...We do keep it mighty toasty when we go up there in the winter, very small, if any amount condensation on windows, have small fans running and roof vent 1/4 open and fan running there also..just venting the space between ceiling and roof isn't happening i guess...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 02-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Super cold roof surface, warm, humid ceiling surface. When you turn off the electric heaters and lock up for the week, all that humidity (20% is wet to a trailer) it migrates to the cooling ceiling surface, collects on the putty, soaks into that and causes rust on the staples. I wouldn't worry too much about the stains, they are what they are and I don't know of any way to stop the moisture other than not using the trailer.... Just keep an eye on the TPO roof and the edge molding, keep it sealed and watch the bottles to make sure they aren't being "ghostly elixir"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:57 AM   #7
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Super cold roof surface, warm, humid ceiling surface. When you turn off the electric heaters and lock up for the week, all that humidity (20% is wet to a trailer) it migrates to the cooling ceiling surface, collects on the putty, soaks into that and causes rust on the staples. I wouldn't worry too much about the stains, they are what they are and I don't know of any way to stop the moisture other than not using the trailer.... Just keep an eye on the TPO roof and the edge molding, keep it sealed and watch the bottles to make sure they aren't being "ghostly elixir"....

Oh trust me, i check the roof all the time! Need the snow to go away

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
: