Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
davvalh

Wrong weights on sticker

I bought a 2014 Springdale 253 Fifth wheel in 2014. I was told I had a bent axle that caused tire wear. I discovered it had 3500# axles the sticker on the side said the gawr of the axles was 4400# each. I contacted Keystone and was told according to the vin it had correct axles but wrong sticker. Has anyone else had this happen
davvalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

So your 5th wheel is supposed to have 3500 axles for a rating of 7k but the sticker on the side says says 4400 axles for a rating of 8.8k?

It’s hard to imagine with the listed weight rating that is would come with 3500 axles but smarter people than me can chime in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CF7BB5E-23F0-4EEE-859E-7D83F22D5373.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	24164  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davvalh View Post
I bought a 2014 Springdale 253 Fifth wheel in 2014. I was told I had a bent axle that caused tire wear. I discovered it had 3500# axles the sticker on the side said the gawr of the axles was 4400# each. I contacted Keystone and was told according to the vin it had correct axles but wrong sticker. Has anyone else had this happen
Look at the axle manufacturer's tag on the axles. If 4400# or greater the axles are correct because, according to your trailer's specs the minimum acceptable GAWR for each axle is 4400#.

Did they say they were going to send a new certification label? A certification error like that warrants a recall action. Ask them if they are going to initiate the recall or should you inform NHTSA to insure others with that model are protected.

What is the designated size of the original tires shown on the label? The smallest tires they could put on GAWR 4400# axles is ST215/75R14 LRD.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
So your 5th wheel is supposed to have 3500 axles for a rating of 7k but the sticker on the side says says 4400 axles for a rating of 8.8k?

It’s hard to imagine with the listed weight rating that is would come with 3500 axles but smarter people than me can chime in
Your attachment is the same reference I used to confirm the certification for 4400# GAWR axles.

In accordance with FMVSS (standards) the 8015# GVW is added to the 1945# cargo capacity. Then the recommended tongue weight (1160#) is deducted from the sum, leaving 8800# to be carried by the axles. When divided by 2 the minimum axle GAWRs equal 4400# ea. If the installed axles do not provide 4400# the vehicle certification label is in error and MUST be changed. If the certification label does not set the GAWRs to a minimum of 4400# ea the certification label is in error and MUST be changed.The vehicle manufacturer is the only one having the authority to provide new certification labels to fix an error in their calculations. (Which they will probably call a "typographical error").
Old 10-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
goducks

You can't put E rated 15" tires on 3500# axles. 3500# axles have 5 lugs. 15" E and D rated tires need 6 lugs.
If you have 3500# axles then they installed the wrong axles.
That 5er has a 9000+# GVWR.
4400# axles at a minimum.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Justvisiting2day

Oh yeah, I have had 2 different Keystones, both light ones and the axles went before their times, What a bunch of crap. I finally went to an axle outfit and got some heavier axles for this one we have now. Kind of a pain and ,IF I ever buy another Keystone I will remove the axles and replace them with real axles. The current trailer is rated at 4500, I put 4000 x 2 axles under it. Screw Keystone.
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post
Oh yeah, I have had 2 different Keystones, both light ones and the axles went before their times, What a bunch of crap. I finally went to an axle outfit and got some heavier axles for this one we have now. Kind of a pain and ,IF I ever buy another Keystone I will remove the axles and replace them with real axles. The current trailer is rated at 4500, I put 4000 x 2 axles under it. Screw Keystone.

Previous guidelines for axles/tires are different than they are today which lead, IMO, to lots of overloading. The issue was that the unit was sold as being perfectly able to carry whatever the load was, which was just wrong and caused lots of failures. That has recently changed and from my observation of units on the lots it is true. That was a situation across the RV spectrum, not just Keystone so if you want to "screw" an RV it would have to be all of them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post
IMO your rant is uncalled for, for obvious reasons.

We have owned just one Keystone RV trailer. it was a 2003 Everest 5th wheel with 6000# GAWR axles. We sold it this year, we used it continuously for 16 years traveling to all of the lower 48 states and 5 CDN provinces. When sold, it still had the original 6000# Dexter axles. The brakes and wheels were also the originals. The Everest had shocks and they were changed regularly. We did break some shackle links, probably caused by tight turning, especially when having to back into tight sites.

Bottom line: The Everest had somewhere between 200,000 & 300,000 road miles in all sorts of highway conditions. Being an aircraft mechanic for more than 40 years I know the value of preventative maintenance and did all my own maintenance right down to hand packing all bearings.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The axles, like most of the other components in an RV are used in multiple applications.

It's my understanding that the axles are "built to specific requirements" by changing components. In other words, axles are "built with the same "3500 series" axle beam for all axles rated from 3500 - 5200 pounds.

For the 3500 rating, 10" hubs and brakes with smaller bearings are installed.
For the 4400 rating, 12" hubs and brakes with larger front bearings are installed.
For the 5200 rating, 12" hubs and brakes with larger front and rear bearings installed.

Spring packs also are increased in size and application. Lighter ratings may have a mono-spring while larger ratings will have three-spring or five-spring suspension packs.

I've got no doubt some "assembly line worker" may well have failed to pull the "3500 series" sticker off a "days worth of 4400 pound axles" and put the new rating sticker over the old one. Five years later, when the 4400 pound sticker falls off the axle, what's left is NOT the axle rating sticker but the "axle beam rating sticker" and "Hold the phone, Nellie, we're confused".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote