Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
robert and mill

Charging system

Charging system is putting out 13.4 volts. Is this normal or do I have a charger/converter problem. I just put in 2 new batteries. One thing I noticed I don’t hear the sound of fan . On my other campers I could hear fan on converter. This is on a 2013 keystone cougar 318sab.
robert and mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

13.4 VDC is appropriate output for the WFCO converter in "maintain mode".

The fan is directly linked to the amperage output (not voltage output) of the converter. If there is a significant load on the converter (lights, furnace motor, landing gear use, extended slide motor use) that draws increased amperage (not voltage) or that discharges the batteries and calls for "increased recharging capacity" (amperage increase) then the fan will come on to cool the transformers in the converter as they provide more amperage and heat up. The fan is "amperage driven" and will increase in speed as the amperage demand increases to the converter.

ADDED: In past years, most of the overhead lighting in RV's was incandescent bulbs. One incandescent bulb can draw as much amperage as 10 or 20 LED elements, so in the past, turning on two or three overhead lights would "trigger the converter fan". In today's RV's, with LED lights, you may not notice the fan in the converter until nearly every LED light in the trailer is turned on and maybe, even then, the fan won't be noticeable.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Customer1

13.4 is good, nothing to be concerned about. Unless defective the fan only runs when needed.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
bobbecky

Prior to us replacing all the interior 12 volt bulbs with LED's, we could get the fans running by just turning on all the overhead lights in the trailer and now, with all of them LED's, I can't remember the last time I've heard the fans run, so that is a good indication of how much load the incandescent bulbs draw compared to LED's.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote