Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
DDG

water leak

I have a 2017 cougar 28rks and have a water leak in the front cap. My DW and I seal the front cap seal with silicone and though that took care of the leak. Had real hard rains today and after when I got home from work I check the camper and found a blanket that was in the little closet on the left side of the bed was wet. Could the running light on the left side be leaking water. When we first found the leak it was raining real hard and we could see the stream of water running down the little closet that's when we silicone the seam on top where the cap meets the roof. I have a fan running in the little closet to dry it out. Thanks for any help. DDG
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Bostongone

Answer is definitely yes!
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ing+light+leak
Hope link works!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Silicone wont work with the rubber roof.
You can use it to seal the running light lense.
I would suggest pealing off the silicone, then use 6" wide eternabond tape where the roof meets the cap overlapping both. Then use dicor self leveling caulk on the edges of the tape and that should do it.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
DDG

Bostongone and Weekender 1 thanks for the replies. I will pick up the tape and reseal the front cap. Will reseal both running lights on cap.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
DDG

When we seal the cap we didn't get any silicone on the rubber roof. Should we pull the old seal from the factory from the cap or leave it and put tape over it and the factory dicor is still soft. After the tape just put the dicor along the seams of the new tape. DDG
Old 08-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
GHen

X2 on not using silicone on the roof. If it’s just a small hole using just Dicor should stop it. But the best fix is as noted above, ethernabond tape and then seal the edges with Dicor (self leveling).

Silicone anywhere on the roof will just result in another leak. I do use silicone on trim pieces on sides, molding above storage doors etc.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:21 AM   #7
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
When we seal the cap we didn't get any silicone on the rubber roof. Should we pull the old seal from the factory from the cap or leave it and put tape over it and the factory dicor is still soft. After the tape just put the dicor along the seams of the new tape. DDG

It just won't stay stuck to the rubber roof is all. If it peels easy go ahead and remove it, it not, tape over it.
Soon as I bought our new 5th wheel last year, after hearing so much about it leaking at the transition point because of the screws etc leaking I did the front and rear with the tape and also the slideout.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Your better off pealing off the silicone, and using self leveling Dicor on the horizontal surface and non leveling on the vertical surface.

Eternabond tape is a repair not a maintenance tape. Once you apply that tape your not able to do any minor repairs.

Dicor vs. eternabond tape comes up often here, do as you please but in reality Dicor is the proper fix in this and many instances.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
DDG

Thanks everybody for what to do on the cap where it meets the roof. I bought the Dicor and not the tape talk to a parts department fellow and he said don't use the eternabond once its on there it's not coming off. I will get the silicone off the rubber seal on the cap and do Dicor on that seam. Where the cap and roof meet.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Be sure you understand the difference between self leveling Dicor and non-self leveling. If you use the self leveling stuff on any surface other than horizontal, it WILL run when it gets hot from the sun. I bought a Forest River toy hauler a few years ago from a cop up near Dallas and he had taken the trailer to his Forest River dealer and asked them to seal it all over. The roof was done with self leveling but they had left over and did all the windows. That stuff ran down the sides of the trailer every time the sun got on it. Clean it off and it would run again; you just could hardly get rid of it around the windows. After about 5 thorough cleanings I finally got most all of it. This is a dealer. Naptha worked well as a cleaner as it doesn't damage fiberglass trailer sides or decals.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
DDG

Thanks I bought 1 self leveling and 1 non-leveling. I will remember to use the self leveling just on horizontal roof.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
Tatanka Ob Waci

Put a FlexArmor roof on and you'll never have to do anything with it ever again!
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak