Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Trimmy

Resealing 5th Wheel

My wife and I have recently bought a Crossroad Cruiser 5th wheel off of my buddy for $4800. Its in great shape, no water damage, no issues and everything works. I want to keep it in great condition specially since we got a good deal on it. We have had it the last 6 months or so and have been all over it. NO water anywhere. When inspecting it like I do often I have found spots on the side of the camper where it looks like the clear silicone is starting to seperate. It doesn't appear to be leaking but I want to scrape it all off an reseal it before it becomes a leak. What do I need to use to reseal the camper?

I know its not a nice new camper like most own but its paid for and it gets my wife, 3yr daughter and 8 months old daughter out making memories so I want to keep up on it so we can keep doing this. Any guidance is appreciated.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The first TT I bought I had to nearly tear the insides out to make it liveable...we loved that thing - it was so much nicer than the pop up. Not everyone has a "nice new" camper for any number of reasons so don't worry about that….worry about that camper, getting it fixed like you want and getting your family out having fun.

Sounds like you've been going over it to make sure what you've got and that is absolutely imperative on an older trailer. Be sure and look at the sealing on the roof (edges/AC/vents) and around the windows, marker lights, tail lights etc. Don't leave any pinhole unsealed. Also look underneath; seal any penetrations thru the floor; use spray foam and in some cases you can use other products depending on the area/situation.

There are all kinds of sealants and most have specific uses. On the roof use a sealant made for your roof (probably EPDM). Dicor leveling is good for that. For other areas I use Dicor non leveling (vertical/slanted) or a silicone based latex caulk. Don't use silicone except in a VERY few limited areas because it is heck to work with or remove.

My next words of advice would be to make sure the next child is a son... As we were making memories camping all our lives one of the greatest "boons" to me was when my son became a teenager and actually became a major player in camp preparation. He was about 14-15 after decades of camping and helping in every manner; I left to run the hills and left him in camp with a chain saw (he had been properly trained and instructed over the years). I asked him to cut firewood (showed him what/where to cut) and build a "nice" firepit for us....and we left. Came back in about 2 hrs. and I was in shock; between 2 trees must have been a cord of wood stacked (seemed like) and on the ground was a fire pit that would make you stare in awe. I was amazed, appreciative and he received a lot of praise that afternoon....and a big, thick steak. Grew up to me right then, right there. So, YOU have your work cut out for you.

Edit: I forgot - Welcome to the forum! We've got lots of helpful, knowledgeable folks here that will assist you in any way they can so be sure and ask questions as they arise. You want, and we want, this new adventure with your young family to be fun and as uneventful as possible.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Whitewolf

I would echo everything Sourdough said.

Except the part about the son, the chainsaw and stacked wood. I had two girls and the only thing they wanted to know, where the beach or pool was.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel