Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #21
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealBlue View Post
Here is something else to muddle it up. My 2016 Laredo has the factory installed 2nd a/c in the bedroom. It also has the "racetrack" ducting. But, my second unit is not ducted. The "racetrack" makes a u-turn just before the second unit.
This is also an update to Post #18 above. Since I made that post we took a factory tour of the Laredo assembly facility. The mid-profile or life size units are assembled on the same line as the Alpine and Avalanche units. If the second air conditioner is factory installed it is ducted. The ultra light fifth wheel and TT models share a assembly line with Cougar models. We also saw that facility. Again, the same tour guide and the same response on the AC install.

Who knows if the duct man allowed for the 2 AC.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #22
Jdg1172

I have a 2017 cougar and have thought about adding a second ac. I took the bezel off around the vent to see for myself. It's not setup to be ducted but that could be changed if wanted. The duct work runs forward far enough. With some cutting through the side support you can access the duct. Running a wire for thermostat looks to be a piece of cake too.
Jdg1172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:42 AM   #23
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdg1172 View Post
I have a 2017 cougar and have thought about adding a second ac. I took the bezel off around the vent to see for myself. It's not setup to be ducted but that could be changed if wanted. The duct work runs forward far enough. With some cutting through the side support you can access the duct. Running a wire for thermostat looks to be a piece of cake too.
Take another look in there - you will have ducting in sight but does it make a loop through the bedroom and back to the opposite side of tha 5er with several vents? If you add another a/c and add ducting to that partial loop you may just end up with a less efficient system since you really haven't added exhaust vents and will have 'packed' the ducting with air that doesn't move well. Yes, you will have the advantage of a single thermostat .... but do your research first on duct size and air flow. On our Montana HC, I went with the non ducted a/c and it does a good job especially since cool air 'falls' and helps considerably in the LR/kitchen area - even in 100* plus heat.

There are many 'net articles on air flow in a/c ducting though most are house, there are a few RV specific
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #24
Jdg1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Take another look in there - you will have ducting in sight but does it make a loop through the bedroom and back to the opposite side of tha 5er with several vents? If you add another a/c and add ducting to that partial loop you may just end up with a less efficient system since you really haven't added exhaust vents and will have 'packed' the ducting with air that doesn't move well. Yes, you will have the advantage of a single thermostat .... but do your research first on duct size and air flow. On our Montana HC, I went with the non ducted a/c and it does a good job especially since cool air 'falls' and helps considerably in the LR/kitchen area - even in 100* plus heat.

There are many 'net articles on air flow in a/c ducting though most are house, there are a few RV specific
Thanks... I will do some research on this.
Jdg1172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #25
DetnNet

I just installed a Brisk Air 2 13.5 last weekend on a 2016 cougar. We were finding the rear ducted unit did not quite cool the front enough and wanted more cooling in the bedroom. I like the other recommendations taped and sealed off the rear unit air paths and vents to prevent air leakage. The 2nd ac opening was not ducted, had enough AC line wire to make it to the connection, and did not find a dangling thermostat control wire. In my case I think the 13.5 will be enough additional cooling for the area and will find out as we camp this summer.

I would be interested in what folks used to seal the box. The sides were sealed by the wood frame/supports. The back and front were open. I ended up using silver metallic HVAC tape and some cut pieces of sheet metal to seal the front and back of the box. I considered using the plastic chute from the vent but quickly discarded the idea when it did not hug the outside of the opening and felt it would restrict airflow and not work well with the provided divider of the control box.

2016 Cougar 333MKS
2015 Silverado HD
DetnNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

I use the aluminum tape all the time. Works great, so I would say your good to go!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #27
lesleyinky

Not one moment of regret installing a second A/C. It did have to be ductless. We purchased a 13.5 that I️ ordered new off amazon for around $550. CW did the install for us around $125.

In our opinion we paid too much for the TT to not be completely satisfied and comfortable when using it. Adding fans didn’t cut it on the super hot days.
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #28
DetnNet

Thanks for the replies. Will be looking forward to the extra cooling!

2016 Cougar 333MKS
2015 Silverado HD
DetnNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #29
19Cougar28sgs

The front of the trailer is the hottest and highest, so adding a ductless ac unit and blocking the front vents for the ducted ac should drastically improve on removing heat from the space.

Does anyone know if the new cougars pre wiring have the INCOMMAND wiring there? I have the sensor already installed in the space and the iN·Command dashboard has front ac controls.
19Cougar28sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

We don't carry the Cougar line but if it has a thermistor in the bedroom and the option on the control panel then I would venture to say it does. Look at the bedroom vent, there should be a sticker on the vent garnish ring or the ceiling stating there is 110VAC. Or you can just remove that ring and look at whats up there

BTW...Welcome to the forum

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #31
19Cougar28sgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We don't carry the Cougar line but if it has a thermistor in the bedroom and the option on the control panel then I would venture to say it does. Look at the bedroom vent, there should be a sticker on the vent garnish ring or the ceiling stating there is 110VAC. Or you can just remove that ring and look at whats up there

BTW...Welcome to the forum
Thanks!

I’ll have to do some digging up there and see. Currently my 15000btu dometic doesn’t make it a winter wonderland in these crazy heat waves. I don’t think I will need another 15k system to do it though.
19Cougar28sgs is offline   Reply With Quote