Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #41
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachewolf View Post
If what JRTJH states is true, than what the heck good is a disconnect switch?? Just wondering. It is a known fact that all the devices named by JRTJH are the ones consuming quite a bit of power and therefore are responsible for the battery being drained. THINK ABOUT IT!!
Yeah, my takeaway in a nutshell. One wonders why the switch is even provided.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #42
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yeah, my takeaway in a nutshell. One wonders why the switch is even provided.
Exchanged emails with a Keystone rep and he confirmed that the Disconnect switch lives up to its name on my 2019 Cougar at least, it disconnects everything and is designed for those who store their coach, expecting no power draw from anything. Nothing, nada.

It also did not make any sense to me - that some devices would still draw power while Disconnected...

The iN-Command module has its own CMOS battery (it's essentially an Android Tablet) and it will keep all of its settings too, albeit the clock could be off.

Relieved.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Exchanged emails with a Keystone rep and he confirmed that the Disconnect switch lives up to its name on my 2019 Cougar at least, it disconnects everything and is designed for those who store their coach, expecting no power draw from anything. Nothing, nada.

It also did not make any sense to me - that some devices would still draw power while Disconnected...

The iN-Command module has its own CMOS battery (it's essentially an Android Tablet) and it will keep all of its settings too, albeit the clock could be off.

Relieved.
You might want to validate that Keystone rep's confirmation. We have loads and loads of "Keystone validations" and "Keystone confirmations" documented on the forum that were not only "not correct" but many that were "completely out in left field".....

I hope your situation is different from many of the "Keystone comments from reps who have never seen the inside of the trailer they're "expertly advising" owners...... But .......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #44
travelin texans

Quote:

Relieved.
Don't bet the farm that your rep has a clue about what he told you!!! If want really test him, ask where it's located on your particular model RV!
Everyone I know with a newer model RV the disconnect DOES NOT disconnect ALL 12volt systems and will leave you with a DEAD battery in about a week in storage.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #45
markjamestx

On my 2017 bullet Premier, it didn't even have a disconnect switch and when I put it in storage of course the CEO sensors and the sound system would drain the battery in a couple weeks. So I installed one on my own
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #46
GHen

I agree, the factory disconnects will never cut ALL power. If used it would not allow the brakes to work if the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #47
GeekSquadOfUn

Well in light of these findings, I have installed a real disconnect switch 12" from my batteries on the + side. So now I know all is OFF. I have another connection to my Solar panel to keep them topped up.

Happy now.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #48
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I agree, the factory disconnects will never cut ALL power. If used it would not allow the brakes to work if the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle.

Actually the break away switch is wired directly to the battery at the junction box. Disconnect has no effect on that circuit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #49
GHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Actually the break away switch is wired directly to the battery at the junction box. Disconnect has no effect on that circuit.

I’m sure you right, at least it should be. So, a full disconnect installed by the owner should not include that brake wire and probably should not travel with dead batteries...
Old 07-20-2019, 04:26 AM   #50
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
I’m sure you right, at least it should be. So, a full disconnect installed by the owner should not include that brake wire and probably should not travel with dead batteries...
Yep. Correct.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:42 AM   #51
chuckster57
Site Team

If the disconnect is installed on the battery lead, then you’ll have to turn it “on” to include the break away switch. Factory disconnects are installed “down stream” from the junction box so they don’t affect the break away switch as far as I know.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #52
GeekSquadOfUn

Gee guys.

I only, only, only use the Full disconnect switch when in storage.

I do not need or want the breakaway switch, propane detector, landing gear to work, or anything else to work

When I arrive to my storage area or use my coach, I switch it ON.

Been doing this for over 10 years.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #53
travelin texans

Quote:
Gee guys.

I only, only, only use the Full disconnect switch when in storage.

I do not need or want the breakaway switch, propane detector, landing gear to work, or anything else to work

When I arrive or use my coach, I switch it ON.

Been doing this for over 10 years.
Then this info was for ALL those on here that did not know about the break away switch & you keep doing it as you have been.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the "logical side of towing", if you have a battery disconnect switch wired to COMPLETLEY disconnect the battery AND you have an electric tongue jack/landing gear, you'll need to turn the switch ON in order to raise the tongue/pin and lower the tongue onto the ball or adjust for fifth wheel plate height. You'd have to "intentionally turn the switch off" after hitching in order to tow with a disconnected battery. Or, I suppose, if you're stubborn and insistent, you could do it "just to prove you can" (but most people don't fit this category).....

If you don't have an electric tongue jack/landing gear, then the above wouldn't "prevent inadvertent towing without battery power.

As Danny said in the previous post, the discussion is not only for the OP, but for anyone who might read this thread and realize, "OH SH**, I'VE BEEN TOWING WITHOUT BRAKE POWER".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #55
GHen

Should clarify, I believe the brakes receive power from the Tow vehicle while towing, no matter how disconnects are set. It’s the break-away system that needs power when the trailer becomes disconnected from the TV while in motion.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #56
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Should clarify, I believe the brakes receive power from the Tow vehicle while towing, no matter how disconnects are set. It’s the break-away system that needs power when the trailer becomes disconnected from the TV while in motion.

The Blue wire in the 7way umbilical cord does carry the brake signal to the trailer brakes. The brake control sets the voltage sent. It is attached to the blue wire of the trailer that often times changes color before reaching the axles.

The break away is two wires. One is attached to the battery lead in the junction box and the other is attached to the blue wire. When the pin is pulled, full voltage is sent to the magnets.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #57
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Then this info was for ALL those on here that did not know about the break away switch & you keep doing it as you have been.
Well said!
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

Good on you! We have tons of new members guessing.....!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #59
Don N.

The red disconnect switch on my Sprinter is located directly behind the battery in the forward most compartment.
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote